Print 

Author Topic: Issues on BFM racing server as a new player  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Billy

• Newbie Poster
Issues on BFM racing server as a new player
« on: October 31, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
Hi guys, I have been playing on your BFM racing servers, usually 2,3,4, and 5. There are a couple things that bother me and I hope to make everyone aware/cognizant of what I have been seeing. First off I would like to say that for the most part, things are great. Admins are on a lot and they do their best to stop any shenanigans that are going on. Racing is fun and I have seen how chaotic racing servers can become when things go awry. It seems to me that on too many occasions I have seen admins performing behavior which is contrary to the rules, or is excessive. People who are cursing, camping, slaying, yaddah yaddah, I can understand what happens to them and I totally agree with their punishments. In fact I would go so far as to say that the admins go beyond the call of duty to stay calm and give players a chance to chill out before they are removed. The clincher is that it seems with some admins, they give someone slaying 4,5, and sometimes more chances to quit. In the same game someone will join with the name  " D3m()n.Stryke ". This player gets on and lasts about 3 seconds before an admin asks them to change their name. They cite that this is a religous name. I can understand  them having a problem if someone was named jesuskillr or allahrocks or something of that nature. A name which boasts a certain religon, or makes fun of a certain religon can cause arguments which are what this rule tries to avoid. I totally understand why it is in place. Making someone with demon in their name change it is quite excessive and unnecessary, especially when this individual doesnt cause problems. People on the server usually support the person who is being ostracized by the admin. This turns into an argument and causes more people to be removed for arguing. If the goal is for admins to cut down on individuals arguing about religion then they shouldn’t cause problems with people who are not causing problems. I have seen people be banned for names like demon, or with acronyms which are unrecognizable. the admin cites that it is religious and the individual asks them if they know what the acronym even means, the admin refuses to answer and tells them not to be rude. I entirely disagree with this behavior, it’s not hard to tell what crosses religious lines, and I don’t know why admins seem to not be able to tell.
                My second issue comes in the form of complaints to the admin about other players. From my experience, I will battle someone over their hog and kill them. They complain that I am camping and I instantly receive a warning. I was alone with the individual so I know the admin did not see what happened ( obviously I wasn’t wrong to take a hog so that I can get off my feet but right or wrong aside). It appears that some admins take the word of a guest and throw out warnings left and right. On the other end of the spectrum there are admins which do nothing about people camping, even if they see it, until they themselves are killed. Even when a team of 6 complained that an individual was team nading, the admin chose to first ignore them and then warn them for being rude. When people cite a player as an issue and leave 2 at a time, it’s clear that the individual is a problem, even if the admin hasnt seen it. I know it’s hard to find a balance, I have administrative duties over 6 servers, a website, and 2 voice over IP chat servers in a different game so I understand, I’ve been doing the admin thing for better than 10 years.
            My third issue is the use of acronyms for cursing. I understand that the f word is a no no. Despite its common usage I never use it in front of children and I agree that it shouldn’t be tolerated. My issue is when I see players who are cited for saying 'thats **". We all know what it means but saying it straightforward has a totaly different connotation. I have seen kids say ** on Disney movies for Cripes sake! In the same server that a player is admonished for saying **, the admins say ns when they are killed because they were careless. The s's in these two acronyms are the same word. And as a player and admin, I have a serious, serious problem with watching admins break their own rules. If ** is not tolerated than ns can’t be tolerated either. Inconsistency causes problems.
           My final issue comes in the form of disputing warnings with admins. We all make mistakes, so I know that we can be adults about this and admit that on occasion admins will make a foul up. I think they should apologize for the foul ups and give a player a chance to very briefly defend their action. What I see happening is an admin will give a warning to the wrong guy (to someone gunning in a hog when they mean to give it to someone who is on the same team and is camping). The player will refute the warning and say they are gunning and thus couldn’t be camping. The admin often responds with "don't be rude". This is my biggest pet peeve. Being rude is being loud "using caps", mocking other players, making fun of other players, or making attempts to agitate the admin. Refuting an admins choice is not rude. Asking for an apology if an admin betrays a player or flips them over is also not rude. Acting as a witness for another player who is wrongly accused is also not being rude. When admins respond to any criticism with 'don't be rude" it drives me crazy. They might as well cite some random rule because by no length of imagination do the things I mentioned above qualify for rudeness. I do relent that individuals can rudely refute something, and call an admin a name, but then they've broken a rule while refuting.
          I hope you guys will take my words into consideration. The best place to get feedback for a server needs to change is from players like me who have been around a while and have no affiliation with any halo clans or hidden agendas.  I hope to see you guys out on the field racing for a long time to come, and hopefully on better terms.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:18:29 PM by BFM_Booyah »

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
Re: Issues on BFM racing server as a new player
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 05:21:36 PM »
If you know it is against our standards to use abbreviated profanity then please respect our standards here on the forums as well as in the servers.  I promise you that if we are ever in your community we will offer you the same respect and follow whatever standards you feel are appropriate for your community...without criticizing you for it.

Thank you for your opinion but you should know that your feedback would be taken a little more seriously if you would follow the rules with a bit more consistency yourself...for example it is still against the rules to team nade even if your team mate is driving off without you.  Two wrongs don't make a right, especially when you are trying to give us advice on how to enforce the rules.

I can tell by some of the comments you have made in the server that you do not know our rules as well as you think you do.  Perhaps you  could spend some more time learning the in's and out's of our rules and you might understand why some of these situations appear the way they do.

You are also very rude and disrespectful to other guests in the server.  This is not only against the rules as well but behavioral rules are much more important to us that game rules.  Again, you should concentrate on correcting that behavior in yourself before being overly critical of others.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:46:51 PM by BFM_Booyah »

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline »Xâñ«

• Junior Poster
  • !!!!!!!I LOVE DRAGONS!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »
                           My third issue is the use of acronyms for cursing. I understand that the f word is a no no. Despite its common usage I never use it in front of children and I agree that it shouldn’t be tolerated. My issue is when I see players who are cited for saying 'thats **". We all know what it means but saying it straightforward has a totaly different connotation. I have seen kids say ** on Disney movies for Cripes sake! In the same server that a player is admonished for saying **, the admins say ns when they are killed because they were careless. The s's in these two acronyms are the same word. And as a player and admin, I have a serious, serious problem with watching admins break their own rules. If ** is not tolerated than ns can’t be tolerated either. Inconsistency causes problems.

id like to point out that ns means nice shot, not profanity, i hope this clears up one of the issues,

Thanks BFM_Mil, PR_Zakpak and (OBO) Leader for the awesome sigs

Used forums for the first time:May 25th, 2010
Gained access to vent:  May 26th, 2010
Zakk was assigned my corporal: June 13th, 2010
Small tags-Zakk assigned my seargant: July 7th 2010
First ever racing scrim: July 8th, 2010
Got COD4: July 10th, 2010
Finished primary training: September 1st, 2010
Got big tags: September 26th, 2010
Won season 17 of the captains scrims May 7th, 2011

BFM_Xan

Offline Billy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
you have to admit it is somewhat difficult to refer to acronyms in specific to raise a point without saying them.  It is clear to me that you are taking an oppertunity to attack me instead of listen to what I have to say. I am not rude to guests, and I challenge you to give me a quote of my saying something rude to a guest. I have been playing as spijewgger all day, I dont know what kind of logs you keep but that should makew your search easier. I have seen the ns usage and only on occasion could your acronym be applied. My comments should be taken seriously but it doesn't suprise me that they aren't. In my experience a clan is either open to hear how they can improve, or they are close minded and attack any criticism as vehemently as possible; which you have aptly demonstrated. I have read your rules completely and they state that cursing is not allowed and that not abreviations of the f word are allowed. I did not abbreviate the f word, thus I did not break a rule. Follow that channel of thought, all the players who have been warned for using abbreviations that dont contain the f word are also therefore falsely accused. I suggest, my friend, that you read your rules more cafully before you tell me to, given they are your rules and you've been aware of them longer than me.

Moreover I have never teamnaded my team, it serves no purpose, usually I am the first out of the gate because I prefer to drive. I don't know on what grounds you see fit to accuse me of that. 

heres my understanding of the cursing regulations :

1.4.  Abbreviated terms involving the "F word" are not allowed. Abbreviated terms in common use, such as "lmao" and "omg", are generally fine, but many such abbreviations are disrespectful, and fall under the Behavior section.

Behavior section:
.1. Show respect to all players, including your hosts.
2.2. We welcome all levels of players. Do not insult players for their lack of ability.
2.3. Do not crouch over a corpse. This is considered insulting behavior, and is grounds for an instant ban.
2.4. We generally appreciate it when a player respectfully points out when others are breaking the rules.
2.5. Please understand that we have to witness an infraction before acting on it. That's our policy, even with players who we know and respect and have raced with for months or years.
2.6. Admins will often, and sometimes without warning, stop racing to investigate rule breaking. Also, if someone is breaking rules while in a hog and we need to find out their name, we will need to flip that hog so that their name becomes visible. We will do this even if they are on our own team.

I am afraid I don't see where its stated. I know you aren't thanking me for the feedback. For you, this is just another boring complaint and I am confident you have had plenty. I will not post on here again, for I know that it will only turn into a chance for you and your buddies to kick me about. I have never met a group of individuals who are so complacent to have a rule on rudeness and break it during every single match that I have played in. Good bye.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
Suit yourself.  Here is your CD key playing under the name timmy.  Oh I am sure this was your brother or your cousin or your dog playing and not you but spare me the excuses.

2010-10-23 13:52:13   CHAT   GLOBAL   -AD-Drags   Timmy, quit team nading
2010-10-23 13:52:23   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   quit driving off when i try to climb on...
2010-10-23 13:52:28   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   it isnt funny,
2010-10-23 13:52:33   CHAT   GLOBAL   Dante   YOu could always shoot
2010-10-23 13:52:35   CHAT   GLOBAL   Dante   And not nade
2010-10-23 13:52:36   CHAT   GLOBAL   -AD-Drags   Dude, yuo naded me TWICE
2010-10-23 13:52:38   CHAT   GLOBAL   Rafiki   doesn't mean you should team nade
2010-10-23 13:52:46   CHAT   GLOBAL   -AD-Drags   So I drove away
2010-10-23 13:52:52   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   doesnt mean you should jump in our conversation

There you are admitting to team nading and being rude when other guests try to offer you an alternative to doing so.

2010-10-23 15:03:55   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   doesnt matter admins dont allow you to get out and fight ever,
2010-10-23 15:04:18   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   you cant do it for defence either, if you get out, youve broken
2010-10-23 15:04:54   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   ive been kicked for doing just thats everal times before

There you are being wrong in your understanding of our rules and also being wrong about why you were kicked.

2010-10-23 15:10:52   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   you an admin?
2010-10-23 15:10:58   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   then mind your business
2010-10-23 15:11:40   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   cluck, please silence yourself, thnaks
2010-10-23 15:11:46   CHAT   GLOBAL   bfm_Victus   *WARNING* Please stop being rude to other guests
2010-10-23 15:11:53   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   i wont argue whether or not i did it
2010-10-23 15:12:07   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   but he does need to drive and not worry about what im doing

There you are admitting to being rude...rightfully so.

2010-10-23 15:37:51   CHAT   GLOBAL   timmy   your dumb, you know this right...

And there you are being rude again.

I found those in just about 3 minutes of searching...should I dig further?  I think so!!  I noticed you mentioned above that you play mostly in servers 2,3,4 and 5.  I wonder why you left out server 1?  Perhaps it is because you are banned in server 1 under the name New001?  I think so.  Would you care to do the stand up thing and admit what you did to earn that ban or just continue to distract attention from your own behavior by accusing me of attacking you...when you asked me to produce these quotes?  Should I keep digging?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:58:04 PM by BFM_Booyah »

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Soul

• Senior Poster
  • Be back in 5 minutes, If I'm not, read this again.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 10:41:52 PM »

My second issue comes in the form of complaints to the admin about other players. From my experience, I will battle someone over their hog and kill them. They complain that I am camping and I instantly receive a warning. I was alone with the individual so I know the admin did not see what happened ( obviously I wasn’t wrong to take a hog so that I can get off my feet but right or wrong aside). It appears that some admins take the word of a guest and throw out warnings left and right. On the other end of the spectrum there are admins which do nothing about people camping, even if they see it, until they themselves are killed. Even when a team of 6 complained that an individual was team nading, the admin chose to first ignore them and then warn them for being rude. When people cite a player as an issue and leave 2 at a time, it’s clear that the individual is a problem, even if the admin hasnt seen it. I know it’s hard to find a balance, I have administrative duties over 6 servers, a website, and 2 voice over IP chat servers in a different game so I understand, I’ve been doing the admin thing for better than 10 years.

I'm going to note that, we are not allowed to warn for something a guest told us about. And even though an Admin is near a camper doesn't mean they always catch them. As well, I personally apologize for any wrong warnings I put out towards our guest as I'm sure other BFM's do this. P.S. We can't catch everything and nor are we perfect. Sometimes we make mistakes as everyone else does. If you are ever personally caught up and you were warned for something that you did not do, I am sorry for those actions. - Soul

P.S. Thought I would comment since this is in the General Board =P

Print