Print 

Author Topic: IE add-ons problem *FIXED thanks to JANEs awesomeness*  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
  • There there, it's ok....
    • Hehehehehe...
IE add-ons problem *FIXED thanks to JANEs awesomeness*
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:37:01 AM »
Ohai,

How do I make IE start without add-ons defualty? Whenever I open up IE, white screen, un-responsive message and it just closes down. I know 100% that it's add-ons fault, so how do I make IE open without add-ons as a default?

Thankies :).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:37:09 PM by BFM_Tanxs1 »

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
Re: IE add-ons problem
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:24:18 AM »
Navigate to...

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Right click and "copy"

Right click your desktop and "paste"

Congrats!  You've made a shortcut on your desktop to IE with no add-ons!  =]

Use that from now on and you shouldn't have any more problems.

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
    • Hehehehehe...
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:04:33 AM »

My problem though is that when i don't have IE up, and I click on something which brings IE up, lets say somebody's xfire video, IE opens up with add-ons. I'm not sure if that's fix, I'll check.

But u helped me out majorly ty :D.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:32:14 AM »
I assume this started happening recently and is a new problem and as that is (probably) the case, do you know which add-on it is? Or have you added-on a few new ones that you suspect are causing the trouble?

If that's the case, you can try disabling them through the add-ons manager. I'm using Vista, but hopefully you can get to (or have!) the same place*:

Control Panel > Internet Options (or Properties) > Programs tab at the top  - Choose the "manage add-ons" button.

There are a few categories for the add-ons on the left. Find the one you want to disable, left-click it once and press either "remove as default" or "disable" at the bottom.

I don't know if there are a lot of important add-ons, but don't go disablin' anything and everything. If you know for sure what it is or could be, turn that off. If you don't know... Well, I guess you can always uninstall and re-install. Or better yet, download FireFox.

* If you can't find it my way, I think you can go to your new "no add-ons" shortcut and go to Tools at the top right, then Manage Add-Ons. Should open the same window you need.

Note that I could be completely wrong here.  ;D

EDIT: No no no! I meant left-click the add-on you want to select. I always say right-click for everything. ::)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:39:27 AM by BFM_JANE »

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
    • Hehehehehe...
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:39:48 AM »
It's actually been happening for a while. One day IE would just CRASH completely, and so I started using FireFox.

Fastforward, and you have me wanting to use IE. I want IE to work because when I click on things like ppls xfire videos, it automatically opens IE up, and that obv crashes.

I know what you mean JANE, but I have no idea what's the problem. I don't even know what an add-on is, why is it being so mean to me? :(. I've "managed" my add-ons before and I failed.

Atm I'm always using Firefox, but want IE to work when needed to (xfire videos and other things).

When I clicked on some1's xfire video after doing what Tyrael said, it still opened up IE with add-ons, making it crash. My question now is, how do I get hyperlinks to websites (example: xfire video) to open in IE - add ons disabled, or better yet how do I get them to open in Mozilla Firefox?

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 09:47:30 AM »

Oh! Well, we'll need to make you a true Firefox convert then.

Open a Firefox window and at the top, go to Tools > Options

On the Options window, go to Advanced at the top, then to the General tab.

Near the bottom it says "always check to see if FF is the default browser". Tick the box (if you want), then press the button next to it that says "check now".

A window will pop up asking if you want to make FF your default browser. "Yes" you do.

It's very easy to go back to IE as your default browser, easier than switching to FF, so no worries there. FF will open by default whenever you click an internet link. If you want to use IE for something, you'll have to use your IE shortcut or some other direct IE link, otherwise it will use FF.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:50:58 AM by BFM_JANE »

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
    • Hehehehehe...
Re: IE add-ons problem *FIXED thanks to JANEs awesomeness*
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:37:23 PM »
OMG THANK YOU!

Problem solved :).

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 02:28:56 PM »

Jane's gonna put me out of a job here....  :-\

Well done JD!  (And another FF convert to boot!  :winkgrin: )

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
    • Hehehehehe...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:57:40 PM »
 ^^!

Print