Print 

Author Topic: Yey Comcast  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
Yey Comcast
« on: December 22, 2010, 02:25:52 AM »
I can not suggest it enough to not ever get this ISP...
For the past 2 months I have had extremely high pingtimes, 400-600ms, and the net has randomly cut out from time to time. Well finally last week it all but pretty much died, our download speed is anywhere from 200kb/s to 1meg/s and the upload... well if it ever works, is around 30kb/s. I have never had so many issues with an ISP until I got Comcast.

For the record, this is where I have been for the past week... offline... I am posting this from work since we have Qwest here and it actually works! -_-
Will probably be switching to Qwest at home shortly, since they're offering 20mbps(~6meg/s) for 45 a month, compared to the 10mbps @ 80 a month with Comcast...

Oh they're supposed to be sending a tech out today to check the lines/box as they saw significant degradation in the signal on their end, tyaaaaaa....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:28:53 AM by ­­«_Jäסñç_» »

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
Re: Yey Comcast
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:33:43 AM »
lol we had the same problem.. but you pay alot for less than we do 0_o but we also have the tv and phone bundled with it.. for a while i was getting high ping time.. they said it was my router or my computer.. so i completely reloaded my computer.. completely renewed my router..all new firmware and everything. still did it for a LITTLE while.. then after a few what seemed to be updates? (net goes out for about an hour at around 2am).. now everything seems to be fine havent really had ANY issues and we got the 12MB/s?? or however it is calculated.

and on my wireless i get 12-17 down and 1-3 up.. hard lined i get 15-25 down and 2-4 up.. weird i know but hey even the guy on the phone was like HUH??? o well not complaining to much. but where i live Qwest only has 1.5 available o_0 go figure. and Qwest here only bundles with directv and my parents pretty much refuse to go back to them after they messed them over really badly
My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »

FYI: Comcast was voted The Most Hated Company this year....  ::)

Ya, I'm stuck with them - and their out-of-date backbone wiring to my location. ("We're very sorry, but there just isn't enough demand in your area to justify rewiring with fiber-optic....")

But, unless you arm yourself with the right data, they're not going to listen to your pleas at all.

But before you go to complain to them you must have run correct tests CORRECTLY so you can give them "it's YOUR PROBLEM" results:

- COMPLETELY ELIMINATE ANY/ALL WIRELESS CONNECTIONS from the "problem machine(s)"

- Have RESET ALL OF YOUR NETWORKING DEVICES

- CLEAN-BOOTED the test system

- Tried testing AT LEAST TWICE with the machine DIRECT-CONNECTED to your modem device [WARNING!: BE SURE to have all your firewall and AV protection systems UP-TO-DATE and running when you do this, and also be sure that you do NOT stay connected for more than a few minutes - FIVE TOPS! - without disconnecting/shutting down for AT LEAST 30 minutes in between!]

- Run "ping -t"s and "tracerts" to assure that it's not a problem BETWEEN you and your Internet destination that is NOT in Comcast's network! (If you don't know how to run these two tests consider just living with your situation, or plan on learning a lot more about computer networking....) SAVE THE LOGS from these tests to show to the Comcast technician they'll send to your house!

GL!

A story about that last part, FYI: I recently had some problems that I was sure were "outside my network," and upon running the tests mentioned last in the list, determined were a problem with a downed backbone router IN LOS ANGELES that did not belong to Comcast.  Since they had NO PROCEDURE for notifying the network backbone provider - which blew me away! - they ended up sending out a tech the following day.

The Tech shows up, I tell him the story - and express my disbelief that they have no way of dealing with this sort of problem - and show him the data and he says "Yep. It looks like that backbone router went completely bonkers for several hours last night. WE HAVE NO WAY OF DEALING WITH THAT, and you're right... That IS a problem."

So at least I got SYMPATHY!?!

:siderofl:

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »
lol yes.. comcast is weird might i also point out and maybe i should start a poll for comcast people lol.. the commercial states they will always wear protective covering over there shoes in your home.. can anyone tell me if they have ever actually done this? i know they havent here lol.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
lol yes.. comcast is weird might i also point out and maybe i should start a poll for comcast people lol.. the commercial states they will always wear protective covering over there shoes in your home.. can anyone tell me if they have ever actually done this? i know they havent here lol.

Oh the techs that come to my house ALWAYS wear their booties!

The problem is that they're probably dirty from them taking them on and off ON THE DOOR STOOPS OF EVERYONE'S HOME!

:siderofl:

...And the seem to be made out of that blue tarp material you can buy at hardware stores!  :o

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »
But before you go to complain to them you must have run correct tests CORRECTLY so you can give them "it's YOUR PROBLEM" results:

- COMPLETELY ELIMINATE ANY/ALL WIRELESS CONNECTIONS from the "problem machine(s)"

- Have RESET ALL OF YOUR NETWORKING DEVICES

- CLEAN-BOOTED the test system

- Tried testing AT LEAST TWICE with the machine DIRECT-CONNECTED to your modem device
Yup have experience trouble shooting this mess since I handled the network at my last property. Power cycled all devices, routers, computers, ect... Still having issues. Tried directly connecting to the modem, same problems, and multiple computers experienced the same issue.

From what I found out is basically for our area, Comcast oversold their service and physically LACK the bandwidth to support their customer base. They have been lying new T lines in the ground, but from what I heard... they've been doing that here for several years already, Albuquerque is a very large city.

Tech did not show up at ALL today, looks like we'll be calling back tomorrow -_-
Will see you guys on halo again eventually....

What I miss is the number I had for Century Link, went right to Teir 3 support(yey business numbers). I called it from home a few times and the problem was gone in seconds, call Teir 1? 3-4 days.

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »
I can not suggest it enough to not ever get this ISP...
For the past 2 months I have had extremely high pingtimes, 400-600ms, and the net has randomly cut out from time to time. Well finally last week it all but pretty much died, our download speed is anywhere from 200kb/s to 1meg/s and the upload... well if it ever works, is around 30kb/s. I have never had so many issues with an ISP until I got Comcast.

Story of my life.  To anyone wondering why I randomly lag out of scrims sometimes, this is the reason.

Offline Bleak

• Junior Poster
  • RUN! LIVE TO FLY! FLY TO LIVE! ACES HIGH!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »
odd, I've never had a problem with my connection from Comcast... though I hate their status on Net Neutrality.

Thanks to Trael!

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »
I think it's very location-based on how well Comcast does. I've had them for years and I've been pretty fine with it. I just outright hate disgusting, terrible, awful, warpy, bad Sprint wireless. I love my 1 MB/s+ direct download speeds (from sites that can handle it). Although that pales in comparison to the 8 MB/s for direct downloads I've gotten at University. Those mainly happen at night when others are asleep though, otherwise it's 2-5.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »
i will have to 2nd edisons comment about spring :). and also 2nd his opinion that it is very location based.. i totally agree.

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 08:34:45 PM »
Hey Mxy, remember that problem that I was having with Comcast? I actually got a very helpful tech guy on the phone that suggested to simply move my router closer to the place where the line begins in my house, and hence the router is no longer in my room (at the end of the line) and is instead in the living room (somewhere in between). Anyway, the problem was that a bunch of other devices in my house were using the signal and since my router was at the end of the line it didn't get much signal. Unfortunately, now I have to deal with wireless. v.v But it's better than no signal at all.

However yes, Comcast still has a lot of problems with their networking, whether it be old lines, or not enough bandwidth to serve a general area.
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 03:33:12 PM »
Rescheduled for a tech to come out again.
Got a 50 dollar credit to our bill because the tech never showed.

The speed has improved a bit over the past two days, but it also keeps dropping, had to power cycle the modem twice today already just to use the net...

Called qwest about swapping carriers... but apparently they only have 3mbps speed available on my block... and less than a mile away my friend has a 40mbps qwest connection, that is very frustrating.

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
  • There there, it's ok....
    • Hehehehehe...
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »
Yay comcast!

:noadd:

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
Finally got them out here, technician was a tad rude... but modem is replaced and oh look the net works again!

Print