Print 

Author Topic: Internet problems  (Read 1993 times)

Offline BigShot

• Regular Poster
  • its when you're not looking that the shot hits
Internet problems
« on: April 16, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »
Lately,  my (me and my three roomate's) internet has been coming and going. We don't lose connection to the router but there is no internet behind the router. Windows troubleshooting cannot find the problem. When I called time warner cable (we have roar runner) they had me do a bunch of tests and rules out my modem being bad. The next day, I replaced the router, a netgear WNDR3700, with a new one, same unit (I had a replacement warrantee with bestbuy so it was free). After setup, everything was fine for all of us but a few hours later the same thing happened, we all lost our connectivity to the internet while maintaining full connection to the router.

The problem occurs wether we run direct ethernet cables or wireless. The odd thing is that the Xbox stays funny connected for about a minute after the laptops lose connection. Also, my roomates tell me that the internet was fine all morning until I got home. Since I got home and started using my laptop, I've lose internet twice. It seems to happen when I open a bunch of tabs at once or when I try to use a secure connection (EX: bank account). After a few minutes, the internet will come back and behave as normal, though.

I'm throughly stumped, I've scanned my PC with malwarebytes and superantispyware and found nothing. I've also made sure everything, drivers, router, windows, is up to date.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Also, Hi guys!!! I know I havn't been around for a long time but I've been keeping up on things XD Between school and work I have no time for anything lol.

team sig by Slayton, thanks a ton!

My virtues: be silent but strong, never attack in anger, uphold all just laws, and stay 100% loyal to your choices and friends

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Internet problems
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »

The Xbox staying fully (not "funny," right??  ::) ) connected for a bit longer is a Red Herring.  Ignore it.

First, think of a site that you use often, like say, www.google.com. The next time everything is up and running fine, open a CMD prompt (Start -> Run, enter "cmd" and then <Enter> key.)  Type "tracert www.google.com" (w/o quote, and entering whatever your oft-used site is instead.)  It should display a series of lines showing all the various connections to servers and routers out on the InterWebs, from your router out to the actual site's server.  Ignore the gobbledygook that it spews, just check that it completes. That is, that it says "Trace complete." and then comes back to the command prompt.  Keep this window around - do not dismiss it.

The next time you have your strange problem, open ANOTHER command prompt and do the same thing again, exactly as you did it the first time.  At some point you'll see that the lines are no longer showing "## ms," but instead are showing "*"s and possibly "Request timed out."

You can do this again another time or two for more accuracy if you like. (If you're planning to deal with your ISP, then I STRONGLY advise that you do it another three times in succession, and keep it all on screen, or copy the cmd window contents into a text file.)

Now, examining the list from the top-down, you should be looking at the following (by line # at the far left):

1 is your router
2 is either your modem or your ISP-assigned "gateway" (NOTE: modems will ALWAYS show up as "* * *" here.)
3 and after are "nodes" on the Internet that are handling your connection

The first line that shows all "*"s - that is NOT your modem! - is where the problem is happening.

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS GET AT LEAST THE ISP'S GATEWAY NODE!*  If not, then give this info to your ISP and tell them to get you a RELIABLE GATEWAY within 48 hours or you'll drop them.  (Note that you MUST HAVE reliably saved off the data from all the above tests and have it on-hand to show the Tech from the ISP to make this claim stand.)

If the data show that the gateway is responding fine, then the problem is downstream on the Internet, and while likely out of your ISP's hands, worth reporting to them in any event.**

GL!

P.S. If you get no errors, and can isolate YOUR laptop/machine as the source that's "causing the problem," post back here.  FYI: I can't imagine that's the case tho....

* If you have access to the router's settings, log in to it and look at its "Connection Status" (may have another name) page and copy down the IP addresses given for "Gateway" and both "DNS Server"s.  The IP in your router will match one of the first three shown in your "tracert" output.

** Story: I once found a problem router that was blocking access to several site/servers for me.  (It was physically located in Los Angeles, CA, BTW.) The server was what's called a "backbone" (i.e. "fundamentally important") server, which meant that I was not able to access dozens of sites, as my traffic was (trying to be) routed through that server. But I COULD access other sites that took another route. THIS may be what is happening to you.  The Bad News is: ISPs won't do a thing about them, so you're stuck until whomever manages the downed server takes care of the issue.
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BigShot

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
I did two tracert, one on www.google.com and one on www.youtube.com, while my internet was working and everything checked out. About 10 mins later when it went out again, I tried www.google.com, www.youtube.com, and www.bfmracing.net, and all came back the same way. I got an error saying that it was unable to resolve target system name. I tried all of these multiple times, getting the same error each time. The I turned off my PC's wireless, waited a minute, and restarted it. Everything worked fine. I did another tracert to www.google.com to confirm.

My virtues: be silent but strong, never attack in anger, uphold all just laws, and stay 100% loyal to your choices and friends

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:41:36 AM »
I did two tracert, one on www.google.com and one on www.youtube.com, while my internet was working and everything checked out. About 10 mins later when it went out again, I tried www.google.com, www.youtube.com, and www.bfmracing.net, and all came back the same way. I got an error saying that it was unable to resolve target system name. I tried all of these multiple times, getting the same error each time. The I turned off my PC's wireless, waited a minute, and restarted it. Everything worked fine. I did another tracert to www.google.com to confirm.

WONDERFUL!

This tells me that your DNS service is messed up! (Either on your machine - most likely - or from your ISP.)

PLEASE tell me the you've already tried a complete system & network reset, having followed these instructions?  If not, do so now, and then continue normal use and see if the problem happens again.  (Try running just one tracert to see if it's acting the same tho.)

BE SURE THAT ALL DEVICES ARE POWERED OFF FOR A FULL MINUTE before restarting anything!

Offline BigShot

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
tried it before but did it again anyway. Exactly as you said in that other post. When I reconnected, I had no internet access for about 5 mins. When I went into my router under basic settings and ran the test function, it came back. I ran a tracert to google and everything seemed ok. Another 5 mins browsing the internet and the problem happened again. Ran another tracert to google and got that unable to resolve system name again.

Earlier, I ran a direct cable from the modem to my PC and not only was it blazing fast, but for the 20 mins (under heavy usage) I had it that way I had no problems.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »

Sounds like you router might be having "name lookup" (DNS) problems, perhaps?

If you have other computers connected to your router: Are they having problems too?

If so, your router might need to be reset to factory defaults (and then reconfigured.)

If not, you might need to do some additional things on your - the problem - computer to correct its DNS system.

Offline BigShot

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 05:59:13 PM »
all the computers connected to the router have the same problem.

I tried reconfiguring the router and that restored the internet for about 20 minutes, then it went back out. Could the problem be something with the DNS not refreshing?

Also, the domain name box is blank, it tells me only to fill it in of required, could that be the problem?

What I don't get at all though is why the router worked just fine with these same settings for about 8 months before this started happening. What could have changed to cause the problem? No-one but me has access to the router's control panel and we have a VERY secure connection so no wireless intruders.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 11:31:33 PM »
First off:

[...]

What I don't get at all though is why the router worked just fine with these same settings for about 8 months before this started happening. What could have changed to cause the problem? No-one but me has access to the router's control panel and we have a VERY secure connection so no wireless intruders.

LOL @ part above highlighted in red!  You'd need 1028-bit rotating DES encryption just to get a START on such a thing!  (The main reason WLANs don't get hacked is that SO MANY ARE WIDE OPEN ANYWAY! lol! )

Anyway, now onto the problem at hand....

all the computers connected to the router have the same problem.

I tried reconfiguring the router and that restored the internet for about 20 minutes, then it went back out. Could the problem be something with the DNS not refreshing?

Also, the domain name box is blank, it tells me only to fill it in of required, could that be the problem?

Please PM ME your router make and model # so that I can look up its manual and see how the DNS gets set/configured and I'll give you an answer from that.

Print