Print 

Author Topic: The Rig I am Thinking About Getting.  (Read 12945 times)

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
Re: The Rig I am Thinking About Getting.
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »
If you're wanting to save a bit, don't go for velociraptors. Just stick to the Samsung F3 1TB / WD 1TB Black drives, or go for an SSD and one of the aforementioned drives.

A good SSD will absolutely thrash velociraptors, while the F3 drives are much better value for money, and are actually faster for sustained reads and writes.

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 11:27:35 PM »
If you're wanting to save a bit, don't go for velociraptors. Just stick to the Samsung F3 1TB / WD 1TB Black drives, or go for an SSD and one of the aforementioned drives.

A good SSD will absolutely thrash velociraptors, while the F3 drives are much better value for money, and are actually faster for sustained reads and writes.

Wait, so the Samsung F3 thingys are faster than VelociRaptors?

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

The Best Quote Ever By Exodus:

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 03:02:23 AM »
OK. So now I have what I want to get, could I please have some feedback on what I could change to make the system better? :)

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 06:33:22 AM »
An SSD is a different kind of drive that accesses information much faster than even a souped up regular HD. The best idea is to run your general operating system of it (it is a smaller HD) and then run everything else from your other drives. Cost efficient AND better performance!

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
I think you may be misinformed about SSD's there guys...or I am :P.  Solid State hard Drives do have advantages over traditional hard drives but speed is not one of them.  They are (presuably) much more reliable due to the fact that they have no moving parts.  They are also much smaller in size, for the same storage capacity, than tradfitional hard drives.  Everything I have seen though about there access speed is that they transfer data MUCH slower than SATA drives.  I just looked around and every SSD I found has transfer rates of around 250Mbps in comparison to a traditional SATA drive which is 3 or 6Gbps depending on which generation you get.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 03:08:43 PM »
That 12GB's of RAM is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill. Seriously. The most I've ever heard of used was when Taipan was playing Crysis and maxed his 6GBs's. 8 would be the best option, and thinking of running A LOT of stuff at one time, 8 still suffices. Lion Martinez(A developer over at Expansive Worlds(An off branch of Avalanche Studios)Who I talk to quite frequently) states that on his 6 core beast, when running Photoshop CS5, Premiere CS5, and multiple other programs while developing and testing their current game, he doesn't go above 8gigs, ever.

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 06:22:41 PM »
I think you may be misinformed about SSD's there guys...or I am :P.  Solid State hard Drives do have advantages over traditional hard drives but speed is not one of them.  They are (presuably) much more reliable due to the fact that they have no moving parts.  They are also much smaller in size, for the same storage capacity, than tradfitional hard drives.  Everything I have seen though about there access speed is that they transfer data MUCH slower than SATA drives.  I just looked around and every SSD I found has transfer rates of around 250Mbps in comparison to a traditional SATA drive which is 3 or 6Gbps depending on which generation you get.
It is indeed you who is misinformed.  :smly_a_wink:

The average performance drive (I'm talking about the WD Blacks / Samsung F3s) can only read at around 130MByte/s sustained (<1MByte/s random), and has access times of 15-25ms.
A decent SSD (from late 09) can do sustained reads of around 200MByte/s (random 20MByte/s (and up!)) with access times around 0.5ms.
What this means is that an SSD takes far less time to find the data, and can read it off at a higher rate.

As for SATA speeds, they're really irrelevant when it comes to normal hard drives. They can't get anywhere near the limits of SATA (you're looking <1Gbit/s for a decent one).
Some SSDs, however, are limited by the generation 2 SATA rates (3Gbit/s).

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 07:26:37 PM »

Short version: SSDs are BETTER/FASTER at SEEKING-AND-READING LINEAR data than HDDs.  But that is NOT true in all "disk-like data accesses," but it true "over all."

read me

Finally, my opinion on this entire thread: There is absolutely NO REASON to get/build the "most technically up-to-date" computer for any use other than specific commercial or research uses, period.  Keep in mind that - whatever computer you get/build - it will have a value of $0 in ~ three years.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 12:20:57 AM »

Short version: SSDs are BETTER/FASTER at SEEKING-AND-READING LINEAR data than HDDs.  But that is NOT true in all "disk-like data accesses," but it true "over all."

read me

Finally, my opinion on this entire thread: There is absolutely NO REASON to get/build the "most technically up-to-date" computer for any use other than specific commercial or research uses, period.  Keep in mind that - whatever computer you get/build - it will have a value of $0 in ~ three years.

I saw you say that before, how does that work?

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »

read me

I saw you say that before, how does that work?

Even if computing technological and manufacturing areas grew at a linear pace and new standards matched that pace your computer would be three "generations" old in three years. (That's assuming annual "jumps," which in today's computing world is driven by the economics of the consumer, and for "family" computing, that's roughly September - December, annually.)

So in three years time, you're essentially using "your Great Grandfather's" computer from a Technological perspective, which basically means that it's junk.  (Think about it: How many THREE YEAR OLD "computers for sale" do you see advertised?!?!)

Now, any investment that falls to $0 in just three years is a BAD investment, right?  So the idea is to get ONLY WHAT YOU NEED and spend nothing more than that since you're throwing it all away in three years of use.  I.e. Would you buy an expensive, fancy refrigerator if it only lasted three years, or a model that "just did the job?"

Hence the BEST you can do is to spend just what it takes to "just get the job done" with a new computer.

So I always advise that Technology-based purchases be made ONLY when there is a NEED for newer Tech', and to buy "what's just going OUT of favor" due to the newest "wave" of replacement Tech'.  E.g. If you want to get a new game/program that's just come out, find the LEAST CAPABLE COMPUTER that can play that game, and then see if you can find anything just "one step up" from that (set of spec's) for a very small increment in price, and get THAT computer.  [E.g. A refrigerator that's CAPABLE of holding all you might put in it, and then find one that's "frost-free" and has an ice-maker for $10 more, and get THAT.]

The best evidence to support all this is to look at how businesses handle this "rapid obsolescence" problem on their bottom line.  To see the best analogous example, look at the Tech' Industry itself: What's the "write-off" for a computer in a Technology company?  In the 1990s we were writing them to $0 in five years at Silicon Valley companies - They were just trash to us at that point.  It's TWO DECADES later now, so they're likely worthless in under 18 months now.  (And the Tech sector - no one for that matter - isn't "fat" any more, so they're all being frugal nowadays....)  So three years is probably "a REAL long time" to have the same computer in the business world, even in today's tough times.

I hope this answers this question once and for all.  I get it all the time and it boggles my mind since it's blatantly obvious to me, and has served me well in all my purchases - of ANY type of durable item - since the 1970s.  I think it might be a semi-unique USA "mass consumption" + "latest & greatest" attitude-gone-wild thing, too, as I see a lot more "level heads" about this sort of thing OUTSIDE the US!  (Note that there's evidence of all this now SLOWING - likely due to the world-wide economic situation, methinks - because of late, the computers that I've serviced ARE older machines, some of them five+ years old even.  People seem to be "squeezing that orange" really hard in such times....)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »
So Panther, in short of what Mxy is saying, don't do what I do and buy near top of the line everything for your rig, because honestly, it isn't worth it unless you plan to do some serious computing.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 12:28:58 PM »

Thanks Mxy, that did answer that question for me. I knew computers depreciate quickly, but (until I read that) I didn't really know why.

If I had money to waste (one burden I wouldn't mind bearing), I would probably get the best computer out there, and would probably get the best I could afford now. But there's no point! Being frugal isn't that bad and doesn't always mean going without. What a relief :P

Nice post, thanks again.

PS to Panther- Save a few bucks where you can on the computer and have some money leftover to buy thing$ to use on it.

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 12:41:38 AM »

Thanks Mxy, that did answer that question for me. I knew computers depreciate quickly, but (until I read that) I didn't really know why.

If I had money to waste (one burden I wouldn't mind bearing), I would probably get the best computer out there, and would probably get the best I could afford now. But there's no point! Being frugal isn't that bad and doesn't always mean going without. What a relief :P

Nice post, thanks again.

PS to Panther- Save a few bucks where you can on the computer and have some money leftover to buy thing$ to use on it.

Ohh OK. So is that what my future rig is?

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »
What is a USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0?

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 07:22:40 PM »
USB 3.0 is the the newest serial bus that's becoming quite popular as it allows for quicker transfer speeds, it's best to have a motherboard with 2.0 and 3.0 ports though.

Print