Print 

Author Topic: Cookies by Douglas Adams (author: "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy")  (Read 5900 times)

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.

This is an amusing little story about something that happened to the author one day. I feel like I would do the same thing, except I wouldn't eat the cookies :P

I know I've read this somewhere, but couldn't find here. So here:

This actually did happen to a real person, and the real person was me. I had gone to catch a train. This was April 1976, in Cambridge, U.K. I was a bit early for the train. I'd gotten the time of the train wrong.

I went to get myself a newspaper to do the crossword, and a cup of coffee and a packet of cookies. I went and sat at a table.

I want you to picture the scene. It's very important that you get this very clear in your mind.

Here's the table, newspaper, cup of coffee, packet of cookies. There's a guy sitting opposite me, perfectly ordinary-looking guy wearing a business suit, carrying a briefcase.

It didn't look like he was going to do anything weird. What he did was this: he suddenly leaned across, picked up the packet of cookies, tore it open, took one out, and ate it.

Now this, I have to say, is the sort of thing the British are very bad at dealing with. There's nothing in our background, upbringing, or education that teaches you how to deal with someone who in broad daylight has just stolen your cookies.

You know what would happen if this had been South Central Los Angeles. There would have very quickly been gunfire, helicopters coming in, CNN, you know. . . But in the end, I did what any red-blooded Englishman would do: I ignored it. And I stared at the newspaper, took a sip of coffee, tried to do a clue in the newspaper, couldn't do anything, and thought, what am I going to do?

In the end I thought, nothing for it, I'll just have to go for it, and I tried very hard not to notice the fact that the packet was already mysteriously opened. I took out a cookie for myself. I thought, that settled him. But it hadn't because a moment or two later he did it again. He took another cookie.

Having not mentioned it the first time, it was somehow even harder to raise the subject the second time around. "Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice . . ." I mean, it doesn't really work.

We went through the whole packet like this. When I say the whole packet, I mean there were only about eight cookies, but it felt like a lifetime. He took one, I took one, he took one, I took one. Finally, when we got to the end, he stood up and walked away.

Well, we exchanged meaningful looks, then he walked away, and I breathed a sigh of relief and sat back. A moment or two later the train was coming in, so I tossed back the rest of my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper were my cookies.

The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who's had the same exact story, only he doesn't have the punch line.

(Excerpted from "The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time" by Douglas Adams)

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
English manners: you can't beat 'em!

My own personal favourite is one in Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Small Island", where at some hotel or other a guest comes down, walks over to the manager and says, "Excuse me, I'm so sorry but I couldn't help but notice that the TV is my room doesn't work."

She's apologising for pointing it out! Lovely.
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline OBOLeader

• Regular Poster
  • Established thread killer
Sad thing is that WOULD have resuleted in gunfire, helicopters ect, as said...
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/NewTooru/
Discord: Tooru#1375
Battle Net: Tooru#11787

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
I've read that somewhere too! In the book :P
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
Awesome story... and just like Douglas Adams. (what a legend) :LOL:
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline Marty

• Posts Too Much
  • A tip o't hat to you!
It's also mentioned in the fourth book in the Hitchhiker trilogy - So Long And Thanks For All The Fish. With a bit of alteration, obviously, as it's being told by Arthur Dent to Fenchurch.

Gotta love those Hitchhiker books.

"In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people unhappy and is widely regarded as a bad move."

Click on the Europe sig to get the link and image code.

Applied for BFM: 28th August 2008
Received Ventrilo: 27th October 2008
Received Little Tags (bfm_): 25th December 2008
Received Big Tags (BFM_): 24th March 2009
Received Corporal Rank: 1st September 2009
Stepped Down From Corporal: 16th March 2010
Nothing happened: 15th July 2012

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

For a US or UK flag, go to >>THIS THREAD<< and quote the whole code. Quote, not copy.

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
Good book that (and all others by D.A.)

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Print