Print 

Author Topic: HP Laptops...  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
HP Laptops...
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »
I ended up having to take my mate's laptop apart when it suddenly quit working the other day... I have to say it is by far the worst constructed piece of hardware I have ever seen or worked on. Dozens of screws that are not even needed, shoddy/weak ribbon connectors that break with barely any force and the heat spreading was just atrocious...

Not to mention the power connection for his laptop... requires the FULL disassembly of the unit to the point you remove the motherboard and only THEN can you access the power pins... by this point however I had broken two ribbon cables from how flimsy they were... so we decided to just part it out instead of ordering new cables that might break on install, and even attempt to piece it back together...

Let me say I've taken my own laptop apart multiple times, everything is right where it should be and how you expect it to be and nothing is blocking access to major components... Not to mention I have nearly 3-4 POUNDS of copper in my laptop to absorb and radiate heat... his laptop had maybe 6 ounces.... and the GPU nor CPU had ANY thermal compound on the heatsink, just pressed against it... no wonder it ran 160F at idle... Not impressed to say the least, will be building him a desktop....

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: HP Laptops...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »

Heh.  Welcome to HP laptops!

I took one apart just two weeks ago to repair the power connector. (It had gotten pushed into the case! AAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!  :bang: )

Suffice to say it takes longer to mess with an HP, especially one of their laptops, but I got it fixed ( ALL HAIL EXPOY!   :yesyes: ) and back in their hands the next day.

BTW: 27 screws....  :toughguy:

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print