Print 

Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 7588 times)

Offline freddd

• Senior Poster
  • W()()tsauce
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
I quite liked the movie. Although I haven't read the book for a long time, and don't remember it much, tbh. So looking at it from the viewpoint of just a movie, I thought it was very good. There were a couple of scenes that just seemed random and didn't make much sense without having read the book (such as the scene where they met Dumbledore's brother).

And I agree dStruct, McGonagall was really good in this movie.

@Panther - Are you talking about the bridge that Neville was being chased across? I seem to remember that in a couple of other movies.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:13:03 PM by BFM_dStruct »

Feijoa Freddd

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
@Panther - Are you talking about the bridge that Neville was being chased across? I seem to remember that in a couple of other movies.

No his talking about the one at the end after they kill Dumbledore. As well as the one that McGonagall sends the statues across.

Offline freddd

• Senior Poster
  • W()()tsauce
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »
Oh yeah, of course, lol. I don't remember that in the other movies either.

Feijoa Freddd

Offline BFM_Fénix

• BFM Admin
  • I shall be reborn from the ashes
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »
Poor panther. I quite agree all you mentioned was changed and MAYBE, if left untouched, would have made a better movie (what happened to the centaurs enraged, Kreacher as the elf leader or some mass invasion of "the good ones").

However, considering how the previous movies mined the story and it is meant for a larger audience than those who read the book, it was a very good movie.

That is why adaptations are so difficult. Some stories are better in one format rather than the other, even the original. (i.e. book, play, poem, etc.) For instance, try reading Shakespeare and then go to a theater for a play. Quite different, don't you agree?

Arguably, the best movie of the HP series. Apparently, having the author checking every step (checking Yates wouldn't mess up FURTHER) was enough to make a good movie.
2000th member of the BFM forums.
According to Hlao, and Hlao's word is law.

Offline Light

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2011, 11:23:48 PM »
I agree Panther, that it was disappointing and dumb that Harry didn't fix his wand using the Elder wand, but other than that I thought it was a great movie. I cried LOTS :) The Snape-Redemption was perfect and so was the train station part while Harry was 'dead.' All in all, I liked it. Gonna see it on the Imax on Sunday!!
~~~light <3 <3 <3

Thanks so much MiG and Zeek for the sigs!

Light's timeline so far...
         Became a PR: June 29, 2011
         Got on Vent: July 20, 2011
         Little Tags!!! : August 25, 2011 (Thank you Enigma for being a great trainer!)
         BIG TAGS! : October 27, 2011

Offline BFM_Xtr3me

• BFM Admin
  • Without me, it's just aweso.
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2011, 01:06:26 AM »
i agree with most of panthers post, and the ending did let me down a bit,
i dont even remember them falling off the tower in the book, seriously, they showed that scene in all the previews that i saw and it's not in the book, why add stuff like that when the book have so much detail to begin with? doesn't make sense for a movie that had to be split into 2 parts, though i guess the movie shouldn't follow the book completely,
would have been much better though to have voldemort and bellatrix duel 3 wizards at once, each,
though i did like that movie better than the rest but the sole reason for that is they got rid of all the boring moments in the 1st part and left most of the action to the second half.

Xtr3me sums his mini rant up: Read the book, much better

And the bridge? There was a massive stone, 10 metre long, bridge.
are you questioning the size of the bridge in the other movies or just that it wasn't there at all?
because im pretty sure that i saw that bridge in the 3rd movie though i may be mistaken.

Xtr3me's Timeline in BFM
01/Jul/10 - First attempt at recruitment
07/Nov/10 - Second attempt at recruitment ;D
19/Dec/10 - Given Vent
30/Jan/11 - Given Little Tags
13/Mar/11 - Given Big Tags
26/Aug/11 - Promoted to Corporal
07/Feb/12 - Promoted to Sergeant
02/Nov/12 - Promoted to Lieutenant

Thankyou Lucky and Slayton

Offline Marty

• Posts Too Much
  • A tip o't hat to you!
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2011, 06:17:58 AM »
Up until films 7.1 and 7.2, I haven't really liked the films. They've changed too much or left detail out - one of the biggets mistakes IMO was saying that the Horcruxes could be anything, rather than that they had to be important. But these two films have rescued it for me, and most people on the forums should know how massive a fan I am of the books. Few people here will have read them more or know them better than me.

To all those complaining about the differences between book and film, you just have to accept it. Some things work in a book that just cannot work in a film. If you're interested in why I think they made the changes they did - and why they work for me - read on, and bare with me.

Take the way Voldemort dies in the book - there's a big fight, with Harry sneaking around under his Invisibility Cloak, then three pages of dialogue (call that about three minutes) then a tiny moment where Voldy's curse backfires. So, would that work in a film? You've just spent eight films building up to an action ending, and the hero and villain stand talking to one another before two seconds of flashing lights? No, it wouldn't work. So I'm happy with the way Voldy died - especially with the bit about Harry not being invisible, which I always thought was a tad cowardly.

About the Shrieking Shack being replaced by a boathouse. Firstly, there must be some sort of boathouse in the books, even if it's not mentioned explicitly (JKR does mention a 'harbour' beneath the castle in Stopne) as the first-years always arrive and depart the castle by boat. And IMO the reason they replaced the Shack with the boathouse is to both avoid the tunnel that leads to the shack (a scene of your heroes crawling to confront someone is a tad anticlimactic) and to have Voldy closer to the action - the Shack is almost twenty minutes' walk away. So I'm happy with that change.

Lack of centaurs and house-elf attack - centaurs are removed because the 'Harry's alive'! moment was moved away from the forest, so the centaurs would have to cross the bridge, which the couldn't do quietly, etc. House-elf attack...well, it's a bit cheesy on film to see a hundred foot-high pygmies stabbing at peoples' ankles with forks and the like, not to mention that it limits the camera angles you can use. Oh, and they never really mention the fact that there are loads of house-elves at Hogwarts in the films anyway - you only ever see Dobby and Kreacher. So I'm not too bothered about that.

Harry not fixing the Phoenix Wand with the Elder Wand - well, the P.W. was broken in 7.1, and isn't mentioned in 7.2. So that's one reason not to include it. Also, it detracts from the drama of him breaking the E.W. from a cinematic point of view, so that's another reason.

RE: Bridges. JKR never mentions any bridges - she explicitly mentions that the doors to the entrance hall open onto a smooth, sloping lawn. The bridges are included for a couple of reasons: firstly, it means that you can set Hogwarts atop a cliff, which is more dramatic. Secondly they added a second bridge because they wanted to blow one of the bridges up - but then no-one could get to the castle if there wasn't another bridge. IMO, not a problem, really.

As to the Battle of Hogwarts taking up almost this entire film, that's why they made two films - so that the long, pausing dialogue scenes were put into film 7.1 (with a few action scenes to keep the tempo up - Battle of Little Whinging, Shaftsbury Avenue [instead of Tottenham Court Road, for some reason], Godric's Hollow, Malfoy Manor) and the big battle becomes 7.2. In all fairness, battles work very differently in books than they do in films. If a book tried to describe exactly how a swordfight happened (X parried high but stumbled over some rubble, so Y kicked his other leg, which X just managed to get out the way in time, bringing down his sword as he did so...), it drags. You can't be that detailed in writing, so action sequences are always much shorter in a book than they will be in a film. The Battle of Hogwarts, including the Prince's Tale and King's Cross, takes up more than 100 pages. It took, I would guess, 50 minutes in the film. That seems to me to be about right.

The objects didn't burn them because they didn't need to. If you're being crushed beneath a tonne of metal, are you really going to care whether it's burning you or not?

Now, if I were to pick something that I thought most definitely didn't work in 7.2, it was Neville's inspirational (read: cheesy) speech near the end. I mean, apart from it being horribly cheesy and badly written, why on earth did Voldy let him say it?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:32:43 AM by BFM_Marty »

Click on the Europe sig to get the link and image code.

Applied for BFM: 28th August 2008
Received Ventrilo: 27th October 2008
Received Little Tags (bfm_): 25th December 2008
Received Big Tags (BFM_): 24th March 2009
Received Corporal Rank: 1st September 2009
Stepped Down From Corporal: 16th March 2010
Nothing happened: 15th July 2012

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

For a US or UK flag, go to >>THIS THREAD<< and quote the whole code. Quote, not copy.

Offline BFM_Fénix

• BFM Admin
  • I shall be reborn from the ashes
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
Quote from: BFM_Xtr3me link=topic=55492.msg414076#msg414076

[quote author=BFM_Panther link=topic=55492.msg414032#msg414032 date=1311373176
And the bridge? There was a massive stone, 10 metre long, bridge.
are you questioning the size of the bridge in the other movies or just that it wasn't there at all?
because im pretty sure that i saw that bridge in the 3rd movie though i may be mistaken.
[/quote]

The bridge in the 3rd movie is the one that blows up in the last movie.
2000th member of the BFM forums.
According to Hlao, and Hlao's word is law.

Print