Print 

Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 1786 times)

Offline OrbitAddict

• Posts Too Much
  • `¤_«тнιѕ,ιѕ,иот,а,Đяιʟʟ»_¤´
New Laptop
« on: November 02, 2007, 03:47:41 PM »
EDIT: I got my laptop tonight!!! I'm on it right now! Woot!!

Update: Stats from Xfire

Manufacturer: Acer 
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 530 @ 1.73GHz, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 1014MB RAM
Hard Drive: 34 GB
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers/Headphones: 
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface: 
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)

15.4" screen ;D Also, when I run Halo on the computer, it looks like Halo!!!! Also, people are red and blue!! Not gray!!! ;D ;D ;D

I don't know alot about laptops, or computers in general. So feedback is defianetly appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 08:23:45 PM by BFM_Orbit »

Offline Igor

• Posts Too Much
Re: New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 03:51:53 PM »
Norton AntiVirus
AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*runs and hides* :ninja:
~Former BFM Sergeant ~
~ Arrived 20/08/2007 - 23/11/2009 Departed... ~

Offline VxT

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 04:01:09 PM »
I knew it!

Igor is a virus  :o

Nice Orbit.  ;D

Thanks Hangman!

Water found on Mars!

Offline OrbitAddict

• Posts Too Much
  • `¤_«тнιѕ,ιѕ,иот,а,Đяιʟʟ»_¤´
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 04:44:15 PM »
So, what's the story behind Norton Virus?

I've heard that it's not good for your computer, but I can't remember why.

BFM_Nrvend

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:41:46 PM »
Vista will be fine Orbit,   at some point xp will no longer be supported, but that is still along ways off. As more and more new computers come out there will be more and more updates to Vista, and it will be the standard. As with any new operating system there is  learning curve of which you will pick up as needed. Alot of ip techs aviod the change to Vista beause they service many computers and do not want to deal with all the employees and the learning curve. Also being new , when dealing with a lot of computers at the workplace techs don't want to nor have the time to deal with all the bugs of a new operating system...so another reason to use xp. I have Vista at Home and do not have any problems, I use it so that I can learn it. If you have questions with Vista when you get your new laptop just im me and I will see if I can help you.

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:43:14 PM »
I'm a Mac person and I got a Dell laptop with Vista and I think its kind of cool, I mean I never did much with it but it seems solid and logical.    But the way people talk about Vista you would think its no good.  It does always ask if you want to do stuff which is annoying a little but for a work machine that is probably a good feature with better security.

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 07:00:53 PM »
So, what's the story behind Norton Virus?

I've heard that it's not good for your computer, but I can't remember why.
Norton (Symantec), McAfee, and Computer Associates amongst other minor players have some of the cloggiest (heh!) anti-virus programs around.  Matter of fact, they remind of of many of Microsoft's direct products full of bloatware that hogs your system resources to death.  I've installed a full version of McAfee Anti-Virus 2007 and it has utilized an entire hard drive to archive it's scans!!!  160 GIGABYTES of hard drive space, and it has used almost 120 GBs!!!  The really messed up thing is that there seems to be no feature to disable the archiving (that works).  Norton and CA aren't much better in terms of resource hogs.

As soon as I get ANY system to work on, I instantly delete those programs UNLESS they are brand new (which means they paid for it, might as well let them make their mistakes...).  Then I install AVG Anti-Vir or Avast! Free Anti-Virus.  Your copy of any of these that came with your new computer is most likely a 60-day, 90-day, or 180-day "trial version".  My recommendation is to delete it and install Avast!'s free version instead.  But that is your call.   (!
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 07:55:31 PM »
I use McAfee, its not bad in my opinion. Although, it likes to download updates and scan for virus' when I'm racing. :\
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline Kikn

• Junior Poster
  • My Halo 3 spartan