Print 

Author Topic: Forum Update!  (Read 14489 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Forum Update!
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »
Are you talking about the 'New Topic', 'New Poll', 'Notify' and 'Mark Read' buttons being in different order?

Yes.

And I'd further argue that the order should be (left-to-right):

'Mark Read'       'New Topic'        'New Poll'        'Notify'

due to the likelihood that that is the left-to-right descending order of use. (And the fact that I think that's how it was before?)

(Ya, I've done human-computer interaction/user interface stuff too....  ::) )

Also, a suggestion for ease of reading only those boards that have new posts: Put a mini-"NEW" icon after mainline topic name (the ones on the top line for each board) when there are any new posts to that board. (NOT to its sub-boards, as they already get them now, which is GREAT, BTW!)

As a result the diamond to the far left of each board would now only serve as a general notice that there's SOMETHING new on that board and/OR one of its sub-boards....

As it is now when the diamond is highlighted you always have to examine the main board to see if it has a new post, since the diamond highlights even if there's just one new post, at any depth in that board.

With the "new" icon you'd know even from the top view that there are posts, and exactly which board and sub-boards have them.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:38:54 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 10:28:02 PM »
How bout I make it so that the Diamond only lights up if the Main Board has a new post and leave the "new" icon only for the sub "child" boards? :P

Offline Liam

• Senior Poster
  • BOXISM!......... Resistance Is Futile!
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
Ooh the lines are back!  It feels more like home already.

Some of the Lines are still missing.

While not a big bug, it is somewhat visually unsettling.

I took a screenshot and drew some arrows to illustrate.  ;D

May 13, 09-Got Halo
Later May, 09- Stumbled onto BFM server, loved it
June 24. 09-Joined Forums
August 9th, 09-Applied to be PR
Sept. 22, 09-Earned Vent Access
Nov. 12, 09-Earned Lil Tags!
Mar. 26, 10-Earned Big Tags!
Jan. 3, 11-Stepped Down from BFM
© LiamFilm™

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 03:56:32 AM »
Hmmm.

I can't seem to mimic this issue on my own account.

I have however seen this issue before when another feature is enabled. Let me look into it.

Ooh the lines are back!  It feels more like home already.

Some of the Lines are still missing.

While not a big bug, it is somewhat visually unsettling.

I took a screenshot and drew some arrows to illustrate.  ;D

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »

In the Personal Message main page, the displayed box and text should be in GREEN, NOT RED when it says "Your message has been sent successfully."

Use of red notification should be only for hazards or emergencies.

And ya, I agree with Liam: Those arrows ARE unsettling!   :siderofl:    :winkgrin:

Will be fixed in the next update. BFM_dStruct
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:06:32 PM by BFM_dStruct »

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 02:08:49 PM »
not sure if this is an IE problem or what but i can not log off the fourms. i havent been able to since last update

more info its only for IE at my dads and i can log off fine with firefox, chrome, and IE at my moms just not at my dads :P

Definitely not the forums then. You'll need to ask in the Tech Support and Chat section for help ~ BFM_dStruct
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:12:52 PM by BFM_dStruct »
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »
hmm it seems to fixed its self. its funny because my computer turned off and back on quickly and it logged me off of facebook yahoo mail and even here so its resolved haha.
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »
Do people like the Stickied topics being Bold and the Locked topics being Italic?

Offline BFM_Rickp9

• BFM Admin
  • I Am Canadian EH!
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 04:37:29 AM »
Did we loose the search member in PM's? I cant find it now lol

Offline BFM_Rickp9

• BFM Admin
  • I Am Canadian EH!
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 04:38:08 AM »
Do people like the Stickied topics being Bold and the Locked topics being Italic?
Yes I have no problems with it at all good job Bud

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »

NBD.  Perhaps doing anything to mark the locked ones is overkill/unnecessary?  But emboldening the stickied ones is fine....

P.S. Why didn't you make that post a poll, dStruct??  :doh:  ;D

Because the polls are currently broken :P ~ d3
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:55:09 PM by BFM_dStruct »

Offline BFM_Xtr3me

• BFM Admin
  • Without me, it's just aweso.
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
Did we loose the search member in PM's? I cant find it now lol

no search thing needed now, you may already know rickp but all you have to do is start typing in a persons name on the 'To' line and it will come up with all usernames on the forums (that have what you typed in ofc)

Xtr3me's Timeline in BFM
01/Jul/10 - First attempt at recruitment
07/Nov/10 - Second attempt at recruitment ;D
19/Dec/10 - Given Vent
30/Jan/11 - Given Little Tags
13/Mar/11 - Given Big Tags
26/Aug/11 - Promoted to Corporal
07/Feb/12 - Promoted to Sergeant
02/Nov/12 - Promoted to Lieutenant

Thankyou Lucky and Slayton

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »

Idk, at some level the bold and italic texts bother me slightly (too much white, my eyes, my eyes!) but not that much. I think there's a case for dropping the bold stickied threads? Not sure.
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 08:28:01 PM »

You're doing a great job dStruct, thanks for all the work, and thanks to your helpers too!

I have a few small problem-like things I've noticed, not functional problems but visual ones. I haven't found anything that just doesn't work.

• Mxy mentioned this one earlier, but there aren't any of those dividing lines we love so much for the child boards when you're in a primary board (ex. General Board)
  • Inside the boards, at the bottom where it gives some moderation options (the drop-down menus, mods only I guess), the "bar" doesn't go all the way across. It's just a few pixels short of the left and really short on the right (image)
  • When you're looking at unread topics (link, and also includes unread topics for the individual boards), on the left there is a "mark as read" icon button, but the "mark selected read" is just text. Would be easy enough to make one if there isn't one already, but I don't know what font is in that button icon ;D
    • Also, there's no line on the far left
  • When viewing a thread with a poll, the moderation buttons for "lock voting" and "edit poll" are text, while the "remove poll" is an icon
  • When viewing recent posts (link), next to the moderation buttons on the left at the bottom of each post, the line is one or two pixels too far over
    • When viewing one person's posts ("showposts" for a user, mine for example - link), there are no lines at either end of the moderation button section at the bottom of each post (reply, quote, notify, remove)
  • The PM problem I've found is hard to explain. There is an icon or option that will toggle the view of the PMs (image). It's a three-option toggle between "all at once", "one at a time", and "as a conversation", which can also be changed in profile preferences. There are some lines missing:
    • The "all at once" view is fine in both, um, menu views (double arrow, change_menu icon   ).
    • The "one at a time" option, which puts the message at the top and the message list below it, is missing a line at the top (image). This is in both ways of viewing the menu index (changed by clicking the double arrows).
    • "As a conversation" is missing a line at the top of the message in the old index view (with the PM options on the left) (image). On the other index menu view (with the message options at the top, double arrow again), it's fine.
  • Another issue with the PMs in "as a conversation" view is with the reply buttons (image):
    • The "reply to all" button (if there is more than one person in the message) is just a big reply button. There is one at the top and bottom of the conversation
    • The "delete conversation" button is the regular delete button, doesn't really say what it does unless you hover the mouse over it and check it. Also at the top and bottom of the conversation
    • The smaller reply text button is only to reply to the sender, so if there are multiple recipients, it won't go to them
    • The other delete text button (below) is to delete just that message and not any other message in the conversation
    • And you'll see in the image provided, there aren't any divider lines at either end of the "reply to all"/"delete conversation" section

The following is a list of my personal preference issues and suggestions:

Toggle View for messages -     Never mind this
  • I don't know what to call this, but for reply or text fields (posts and PMs), it's set to the white field that shows formatting already applied in the field, without using "preview". There is a Toggle View button that changes the field to black and shows the BBC stuff, but at least once, after pressing preview, it changed back to the white "formatting applied" view. I pressed the toggle button again and it messed up a lot of my list brackets.
    • My suggestion/preference would be to have the BBC stuff visible as a default, like the old forums. If someone prefers the "formatting applied" view (ugh @ my ignorance), they can toggle it themselves. Hmph :P
    • I guess people might prefer it like that because it's more Word-like... I've found that I can't right-click misspelled words and get spelling suggestions in the new one, might be a Firefox issue.
    • Oh, that's what I see and what I get with the WYSIWYG option is ticked! Never mind this one, easily fixed  :blush:
  • The Moderate button at the top is really funky. Here's one - eyeballed, oh yeah: 
  • For the font color options, I'd suggest putting the default colors choice (the black, red, yellow, etc) at the top of the list, and put all the extras below them.
  • I swear I had more nit-picky things, but I guess I've just gotten used to the rest of it  ;D

PS- I like the stickied threads being bold and locked ones being italic.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:55:36 PM by BFM_JANE »

Offline BFM_Elkric

• BFM Admin
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 12:20:17 AM »

Yes.

Print