Print 

Author Topic: Clarification on "Crouching" vs. "Ducking" with a little venting  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Moxie

• Newbie Poster
Hi,

I am coming here a to vent a little about an encounter I had with your own tonight in #5 on Death Island.  At start I paired up with a teammate in a rocket hog.  I was driving.  We were approaching first nav when an enemy chain hog was approaching simultaneously from the opposite direction.  We were both attacking each other.  My gunner missed all 3.  We passed them at first nav and were continuing to be shot.  My gunner was killed and I was still under attack.

I was rounding the corner by the rocks and got my 2nd nav.  I then swung 90-degrees right, jumped out and hid behind my hog in a "crouching" position near the cliff face.  I was not doing this to camp and throw a nade at them.  I was simply hiding because really, there was no where for me to drive and hide at that point.  As they approached 2nd nav, their driver, upon seeing me, immediately turned hard right and proceeded to run me over.  Shortly after I re-spawned, your Admin (name withheld) accused me of "crouching" in the server.  I understand crouching to be an instant ban offense when you are doing it on another (dead) player, not when you are "ducking" to avoid enemy fire.

I respectfully spat of a couple of sentences to him arguing that I was not "crouching" but that I was "avoiding YOUR fire."  He then proceeded to tell me to drop the caps.  I was upset, so I left the server.  I feel he was being overly detailed about the "crouching" rule and actually rude and in the wrong about it.  I did not break any rules according to my understanding...in fact, I could have thrown a nade and attacked them according to rule 7.2!!!! Instead, I chose to hide by ducking behind my hog until the threat passed.  I got chased down and then accused of breaking a rule for trying to play clean.

Moxie
Peace,
Moxie (AKA Soap)

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Clarification on "Crouching" vs. "Ducking" with a little venting
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:01:18 PM »

Have you sent the admin a PM? They would be able to explain it better than I can here, since I wasn't there.

"Crouching" is short for "crouching over corpses", which is not allowed in our servers. Just ducking behind something is not something we'd warn for, and we also don't warn for crouching over corpses (straight to ban with no warning). Maybe they saw a dead body near you, maybe you misinterpreted their comment(s), I don't know.

For the record, you can hide to avoid getting killed, as long as you don't attack while you're hiding and you don't attack after you come out of hiding. An enemy driver can swerve to ram someone as long as they're not going too far off course, which would be chasing kills.

Send a PM to the admin in the server and see what they can tell you. They're the one who can answer your question. After you've got their side of it and it's still doesn't make sense, feel free to send me a PM. I'll need to know what they saw.

Print