Print 

Author Topic: General explanation ( in case you were wondering---if not ignore this)  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Oblique

• Regular Poster
Recently it seemed to me that I was getting more than my fair attention from spoilers nading solo hogs at the map start, when hogs where available, or indeed out rite camped. Nine times out of ten I am first to drive a hog, because, thats what I love, and it sometimes means me waiting around for team mates, which is cool. It also means that on these occasions I am very vulnerable if all the team pair up and I am left on my own, so I am tail end Charlie (one of those things, no biggy there :))

At first I thought it was my paranoia playing up, so as an experiment I started playing under New001 (Jane is aware of this as i was her racing partner the other day---and we had a blast! :LOL:) and low and behold, the incidence of me being naded fell rite off. Iv been doing this for several of weeks now and the amount of times I have been naded/ camped is negligible compared to that when racing under my regular name. I wont comment on who has been doing this, as this is not the correct arena to do so, but they are some regular, long term racers, who I can only assume take great enjoyment in others misery. I can tolerate brand new racers who misuse BFM's servers, because they do not know any better, and can be educated. I can only assume that long term racers who do so, have a warped sense of humour.

I apologise to BFM if this causes some problems, but if my IGN is causing problems its better for all concerned that I become anonymous.

Kind regards,
                      Nebula
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:42:48 AM by Nebula »

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
It could just be coincidence. I know when I'm fighting people I tend to get name locks only after the fight has started. It seems pretty unlikely to me that people will look at a lone hog, see that it's Nebula, and only then decide to throw a nade at it. Not least because getting name lock on a solo hog is an even slower process. I'd be wary of reading too much into this. Maybe play as New001 more often to see if your theory really is true, but I'd hate to see the name Nebula disappear from our servers for good.
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline Oblique

• Regular Poster
It could just be coincidence. I know when I'm fighting people I tend to get name locks only after the fight has started. It seems pretty unlikely to me that people will look at a lone hog, see that it's Nebula, and only then decide to throw a nade at it. Not least because getting name lock on a solo hog is an even slower process. I'd be wary of reading too much into this. Maybe play as New001 more often to see if your theory really is true, but I'd hate to see the name Nebula disappear from our servers for good.

Nope I v been doing this over several weeks now, so it very very unlikely to be a coincidence, but thank you very much anyway :)

Nebula

Offline -db-swa.

• Newbie Poster
Already had a suspicious feeling that the New001 you are was somebody else (which i think i mentioned to you when you where playing under that name while i was in your hog), but couldn't figure out who it was.

Good to read your experiences on this matter.

P.s. I love other people's misery  :P

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
I really hope this doesn't make you play anonymously, Nebula. You are a long standing member of this community with a good reputation.

I'll be more than happy to help, I'm pretty sure I race around the same time as you do. Might very well be able to catch this person if it turns out to be so but can't do that if you're gonna start playing anonymously. *
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:38:46 PM by BFM_Octane »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage

From my experience it's more about who's hanging back doing the nading than any other part of it.

I'd post a list of those that I've watched do/recorded doing it (I sometimes hang back at a start with a lot of mixed team players to let them fight it out, while I find a hog off to one side all peaceful like....), but it's not worth the effort to "tag" them as perennial "start-naders" or w/e.  But I do keep them in mind while they're there playing in that server thereafter.

FYI: Their usual maps to mess up a start: Infinity (OF COURSE!), Gephy, Ice Fields, and Timberland....
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
It's a coincidence.  It's very hard to get a name on someone if they are inside a hog (even if they are sitting still), and even if you are walking they still have to hover over you for a few seconds before they fight.  Nobody would take the time to do that.

Offline Archer

• Posts Too Much
  • Rock Trollin'
I think....which is different from knowing...that players populate the server at map start based on their name.  I am frequently one of the first on my team to appear.

IIRC, you don't use the standard 'N" in your name.  I wonder if part of the difference is that your non-standard "N" gets you spawned before everyone else while the standard "N" makes you spawn later.  Obviously, the first players in are more likely to be players in a hog when the later players spawn.

Or I could have no clue about spawn order.  I which case.....move along, nothing to see here.
Regards,
Archer

Thanks to Track King for the sig!!

Thanks to BFM_Skedog for the trophy!

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
I thought it would be to do more with connection speeds, since at map starts everyone is disconnected from the server and then reconnects. So your order of spawning is determined by how fast you rejoin the server. I think I spawn at about the same point whether I'm BFM_three60 or one of my (rarely used these days) other names that doesn't appear so early in the alphabet.
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
To suggest that people single out a guest for spam nading is, in my opinion, absurd.

The amount of people that come onto BFM servers with only a minor or absolutely no understanding of the rules of race is incredibly high. Even regulars, or people in other racing clans. As BFM admins, we have seen thousands of incidents over the years of spam nading occur. Mostly it is random. It would be rare that you would find someone going out of their way after a certain person (maybe a BFM admin in retaliation for something, but it would only be a once off) and the fact that many people are doing it to you is probably more of a misunderstanding of race rather than an attack on you despite their regularity in the servers. Some people just have an odd tendency to throw extra nades compared to other players...I am a passive player, some people are more aggressive. It doesn't mean that what they are doing is always illegal either.

Don't play anonymously Nebula. We love seeing the same names in our servers every day. If there's a few people that are bugging you in game you always have the option of proffering that maybe they could throw less nades (in a polite manner) at the start of maps. Alternatively, don't play with those people.

Those who dont want to race are only hurting themselves and their team. Those who go for the hogs will, in the long run, win overall and have a better racing experience. I hope that you choose to continue with the way you play and benefit from your selfless playing style. The admins appreciate it as much as the regular guests.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Escorpion

• Junior Poster
Re: General explanation ( in case you were wondering---if not ignore this)
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
meh, lol i think it does have to do with connection speed, because somehow I'm one of the first people to spawn first, hence why I'm always driving or I'm always first to hog, I sometimes even pass up players that they're ING robot is in the server but their screen hasn't loaded yet.

and that is why those late players tend to see people in hogs already loaded or not makes no difference and they start throwing nades just because they're enemies lol.

what i usually do is when i spawn and I see red dots moving in the back, I get in a hog (hope I don't get naded) and drive off just far enough so i don't get naded easily, and see if I have teammates that need pick up (they'll either hide or wait for me to go back) then we keep racing. and if a fight breaks out then i just keep racing on my own lol, after all map starts are always a one way ticket to getting killed whether at base, or in the first nav collision on most maps.

I really don't think name has anything to do with it tbh, I've raced under several names before and I've gotten the same experiences.
I guess it just depends on the way you race.

Print