Print 

Author Topic: My pet project  (Read 18789 times)

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: My pet project
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2013, 01:04:53 AM »

He remains unnamed and will be a darkish red/orange-red with little or no visible pattern in about 2-3 years. I'll never feed him rabbits or the neighborhood kids, he'll only get big enough to eat jumbo mice.

He just ate his biggest meal yet on Thursday night, one medium pinky1 and a small one (it's been two smalls until now) and had his two days of digestion. I was in the mood to get pooped on, so woke him up to play. One can clearly see he could go at any moment (it's obvious down by the tail), but I did not ruin another sweatshirt tonight. Another day then!

When I got him out, he sat for quite a while in my hand without moving2. I thought this was my chance to get a pic of him like that, all nice and sweet and curled up in my hand, but by the time I got to the other room, he was going up my arm. I tried to get him back in my hand, but 1) he gets a good grip on the sleeves, and 2) he doesn't want to sit in my hand. This bad shot is the best of the ones I tried to get -- pathetic, I know:

1 It took a long time to get the medium pinky down, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!

2 It takes him a few minutes to wake up, and until then he sits still, groggy and offended that I've disturbed him. If I grab him when he's already awake, he's still offended and takes a moment to compose himself, but quite alert and gets moving soon enough.

Offline BFM_LËÕ

• Sergeant
  • Brohoof
    • My Sigs
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2013, 02:41:50 AM »
Im going to call him Steve and it i think its creepy that you sit and watch him eat 
There is no Them. There are only facets of Us.

Offline Øụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 04:17:13 PM »
Steve is a great name for a serpent... I had a childhood friend who's name was Steve and he was a real Snake in the grass. :siderofl:

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 04:11:08 AM »

It's been two days since he last ate and he should be plenty well digested by now. No poo to be found, so to hold him now would be playing Russian Roulette with his digestive system. I enjoy the thrill of gambling as much as the next person and was ready to haul him out to "play", risking the stinky and permanent-stain consequences, but he was having none of it.

I made him a rudimentary (the best I can manage :P) hammock and he occasionally makes use of it. He did not want to be held tonight and to try to pry him off/away from the hammock would have been more effort than it's worth.

I decided to make use of his stillness, visibility, and elevated position to take more bad pictures. You'll be pleased to know these are just as too bright and slightly out of focus as all the others. If you're ready...

Here he is from straight above, the trusty quarter there to show how big he isn't:

I tried to get a picture of his underside while he was in the air. This was very difficult:

A little further away and even harder to get. His underhead (to the right) is all white and his undertail (at the center) is all orangey-red. The first white splotch is where his tail ends and body begins, and where his bum is located. You can't really see it from this angle, but there is a bulge there and that's the only sign of his impending attack:

And finally, I kind of got a face shot of him. I scaled it down, but if you want the EXTREME CLOSE-UP, click here and you can really see his scales, color, and bald head (no color or pattern). Not that you can't see it here:

It should be getting close to that time of the month, where he gets lethargic for a few weeks before he sheds. I wondered if that's why he wasn't interested in what was going on. Usually he'll vacate the area if I fuss around him long enough, but not tonight. We'll see!

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 06:03:44 AM »
Haha, the picture is "scaled" like the snake. Clever one, JANE.

Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline Øụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Steve the Snake has a very glossy underbelly is that normal; I know squat bout snakes and Iv'e never seen one with a glossy gut :interesting:

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2013, 04:16:10 AM »

His bottom scales are really glossy and a little iridescent in the right light.

Had his third shed (with me) tonight! He's shiny and squeaky clean now. His old snake suit got stuck in itself when he relieved himself in it while shedding, so couldn't measure it this time. He's pretty huge though. Will have to weigh him tomorrow.

More red is coming through on his gray head, not that you can really see it in the pictures. Here they are!

Still looks the same :P

Offline Øụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2013, 08:10:35 PM »
Steve the Snake  rules  :Woop:

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »

Sleeping on the tube (it's different for people in London :P):

He's been there several hours, just repositions every once in a while, which is understandable because it doesn't look very comfortable.

Caught him sleeping the other day, and his eye was all wonky and pointing up. It was weird. I immediately thought "oh dear, I hope he's not dead", but I didn't try to wake him up. I'm growing as a snake owner. I did worry about it all day though. By the time I got home, I had already accepted his death and was sad to see him go, but he wasn't gone. Don't ever let me babysit for you. :zombie:

I assumed he was a really light sleeper since he doesn't have eyelids. Surely the light coming on and the big freak examining him from two inches away would rouse him, but apparently not.

He shed a few weeks ago (see above!). He's up to 40 grams (one pound is 453 grams) and is 22 inches long.

Turns out I've been feeding him half as much as I should. I haven't been weighing his meals, just eyeballing them, and thought they were okay. He was starting to look a little skinny, so when I weighed his pinkies, they weighed about 3-4 grams. He should be eating 6-8 grams for his size. Oopsie! He's not starving or anything, just an inappropriate diet.

So that's the snake update!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 09:12:20 PM by BFM_JANE »

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2013, 11:26:44 PM »

He's no good at hiding. Sometimes.

Little snakies need hiding spots to feel secure, so there are lots of them in the tub.

Here he is using his salsa bowl incorrectly:

And here he is using his paper towel tube incorrectly:

But who am I to say it's incorrect?  :P

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 02:27:56 PM »

He Who Shall Not Be Named, Probably Ever is getting ready to shed again, which means he's being very reclusive and hidey. I haven't seen him in almost a week, and it'll be another week before he sheds. Lame!

I think I'm going to start another pet project while I wait. I've already decided I will get another snake (something bigger as an adult), but I'm waiting until it's warmer and I've (hopefully) moved from here. Snakes are extraordinarily low maintenance and as cute and cool as they are, my little snakey hasn't quite satisfied my pet wishes.

I've got the allergies, but I'm going to take my chances with a small rodent, probably gerbils, maybe rats. My freezer mice and I get along well, so looking to make the move to live animals. It will be a new adventure and I look forward to it! I'll be sure to keep mah thread updated so you can continue to mostly ignore it  :winkgrin:

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »
If you got a cat you could take photos and attach humorous captions to them!

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »

What a great idea! The internet would love me!

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »

I did it! Got two gerbils, and they are just the cutest things ever. One is all black and one is tan with a white belly.

The black one is pretty friendly, barely knows me and already getting in my hand. The tan one didn't warm up to me in the hour that I watched and fidgeted with them. They're both pretty active and curious about everything.

I got them in the evening and after poking around the cage, they started shredding paper towels for their "bed". Well, the tan one did, the black one didn't help much. Every once in a while though, he would stuff a big piece of paper towel in his mouth and drag it into the nesting box (where they'll sleep). It was adorable. I aww'd out loud at least once.

Will take some pictures sometime soon, I'm sure you can't wait!  :P

Offline HogZlla

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »
I'll be sure to keep mah thread updated so you can continue to mostly ignore it  :winkgrin:

(Read 1296 times)

Girls!

:hug:

Print