Print 

Author Topic: Running two OS on one computer  (Read 1880 times)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Running two OS on one computer
« on: July 26, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »
Using the Win8 upgrade disc so currently backing my stuff up.

I'm thinking it can be done, i'm sure i've read it can be done. Can it be done?

If so what is the best way to go about it? I've got two hard drives. One is a small 127gb. The other is a 1T, which i split into two separate 500(approx) drives the other day.

Would I put both OS on one hard drive / partition?
Or is separating them the best way to go?

If the best way is to separate the OS, then which way? One OS on a 500 partition and an OS on the other 500? Or run XP on the 127g and and Win8 one of the 500s?

And, providing im successful at this, I'm guessing I would choose which OS to load up when I switch my computer on?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:26:36 PM by BFM_Octane »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Running two OS on one computer
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:56:45 AM »

You DO realize that by doing it that way you're going to have to BOOT TO ONE OS OR THE OTHER at a time.

This means that you will only have access to those files that you CREATE on that OS/partition at a time. (I.e. you will NOT be able to "share" files, etc. between the two OS installations.) Likewise you may have to install applications on BOTH partitions as needed.

It's actually not that hard to do, just screwy because of the constant duplication of stuff, tho. (FYI: WHen I tried this I made a third partition for "shared data" that was visible to BOTH OSs. This allowed me to access the data from either OS, but you have to be sure that the data types your dealing with are "universal" in format, and can be understood by both OSs. Worst part is: YOU have to figure that out, and you have to do it pretty-much via trial and error....)

I'm PMing you a Google search list with scads of info about "dual booting."

P.S.: This ("dual booting") is basically how one goes about having Windows and Linux running on one computer at the same time, BTW....
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Re: Running two OS on one computer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 03:41:28 AM »
Ah so it was "Duel booting" I needed to look into. 

Seems, tedious but doable. I'm right smack in the middle of collaborations music wise so I think ill actually halt on it for the time being and have a good read into it first and continue with my back-ups.

Thanks for the links bud

Print