Print 

Author Topic: The State of Halo Racing 2023  (Read 1851 times)

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
The State of Halo Racing 2023
« on: January 25, 2023, 09:01:06 PM »
The state of the union of Halo Racing is... hitting on some hard times these days. We still have Monday, Wednesday and Saturday as our official racing nights but the reality is that most recent Mondays and Wednesdays have not worked out with enough racers to have real competition. And even some Saturdays have been slow.

If you are reading this and you are one of the people who has drifted away and you figure you can wander back in the next time you feel like it, please consider that we may be in danger of losing the resurgence of racing that we had built. Please consider making it a point to come back at least once a week for a while. If it keeps happening that people see almost no one on when they show up, they probably will stop showing up. That may be part of the problem already, and so I am hoping that some interested people will help reverse that trend.

Personally, I am going to focus on Wednesday and Saturday at 10:30 p.m. Eastern time. Anyone who shows up at one of those times can count on seeing at least me trying to make a go of it. I know that Boredom and Bob Marley also are pretty consistent, and so if we could get just a few more we can have some real competition that people can count on. I would encourage anyone to add to this post if they think these times can work for them or if they want to propose any other times.

The official BFM times remain 9 p.m. Eastern on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and what I am posting in no way changes that. I am just noting the times that I will be focusing on and am hoping to get some momentum for at least those times.

We have had some really good racing times these last couple of years. Please consider helping build more of these good times through the next couple years.

Offline BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
Re: The State of Halo Racing 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 03:55:57 AM »
Hey Mr. Do. I really appreciate the input and also putting in the effort into the races so they remain somewhat active. For a game that is a little over 21 years old it's amazing that we've managed to remain this active. The PC version of the game will turn 20 years in October.

As for the races, I think it's inevitable that we go back to a single weekly race. What started as a bi-weekly scheduled race back in 2016, then quickly turned into a weekly race and only in 2020, during the pandemic, that weekly single race turned into a 3 day per week. We even managed to organize like 6 scrims, some CE/KOS events and some Aussie races! Things around the world have eased since last year and the pandemic is no more. A single weekly race would be easier to manage and to maintain in my opinion as all the focus would be put towards that single weekly race. Also feel like if someone shows up on Monday or Wednesday may not show up on Saturday as they've already raced that week.

Let me know what you all think about it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 03:12:41 PM by BFM_Mil »

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 07:06:38 AM »
We are not reverting back to one night per week. While the official nights are still three per week, the idea of trying to keep Wednesdays and Saturdays going is off to a good start. On Saturday we had a full server at times and on Wednesday (last night) we had a sustained period of at least 4v4. The hot times both nights are 10:30-11:30 p.m. Eastern.

Racing has been plagued by intermittent lag issues. We are going to do everything we can to identify a cause and solution, and we hope that everyone will be as patient as they can be while we work through that.

Offline BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 09:15:16 AM »
We are not reverting back to one night per week. While the official nights are still three per week, the idea of trying to keep Wednesdays and Saturdays going is off to a good start. On Saturday we had a full server at times and on Wednesday (last night) we had a sustained period of at least 4v4. The hot times both nights are 10:30-11:30 p.m. Eastern.

Racing has been plagued by intermittent lag issues. We are going to do everything we can to identify a cause and solution, and we hope that everyone will be as patient as they can be while we work through that.

This seems a reasonable middle ground and it's a good start! The start time is way too late for me as my life changed quite a lot these past years. I may show up here and there though. Definitely miss some racing!

Offline BFM_NavyJHk

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 09:15:17 PM »
Thank you for the post Mr Do.  You hit home a lot of concerns.

I normally frequent Sat nights, and bounce around a Mon/Wed every couple weeks depending on my work, but I'm not consistent on them at all.  I enjoyed this last Wed, as we had a solid map rotation of competitive players.  Mondays are pretty rough for me.  I will try to be more consistent for Wed/Sat nights.

:yesyes: :yesyes:
Thank you Kàkà§hì!

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 09:05:33 PM »
We hit a snag tonight with the server being down. I was able to log into the server console and found that the provider had a notice that they have an outage they were working on. So that killed tonight's racing, but I am hoping we can assume they will have it fixed before Saturday night. I hope to see everyone then.

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 06:12:55 AM »
We had another good Wednesday night of racing last night. There was a lot of 4v4 racing. And Saturdays continue to be consistently good with the server full for much of the time. So I encourage anyone who lost enthusiasm when there weren't enough people showing up to give it a fresh try on those two nights.

Print