Print 

Author Topic: Yes pigs (hogs) can fly!!!  (Read 3367 times)

Offline UCANTSEEME

• Senior Poster
  • Mnid pwoer is the olny way to sccuses.
Yes pigs (hogs) can fly!!!
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:31:47 PM »
My question is; When you are jumping a ramp wheather it be in infinity or deathisland are there anyways to adjust the hog in mid flight. For example: I jumped the ramp in danger canyon. I went into a dreadful endo (car landed too far forward on front tires) and tipped. Is there anyway to avoid this besides speed adjustment?

SEEU on the track!   :clint:

Sig by Hlao

Big thanks to Geekums and Slayton for the sig!

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Yes pigs (hogs) can fly!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »

I've noticed on DC, as you get airborn, if you move the mouse left and right a few times (sort of jiggle it back and forth quickly), the hog will sort of "lock" into position, rather than slowly rotating - you'll know it when you see it.   I'm not sure what causes you to tip forward - that happenes to me on DC too. Possibly from slowing down as you hit the ramp?  I find that turning slightly, rather than going straight ahead, helps.  You don't have to do a 360, but just have the hog rotating a bit keeps the hog level.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:49:15 PM »
No adjustments can be made in mid air unfortunately. Everything has to be done before you leave the ramp or whatever you're jumping off.

You go into a nose-dive on DC because the surface ends so abruptly. Try slowing down just a very little bit on it. Or as Kiw suggested, go off at an angel. You won't have enough room for a 360º spin.

On other "ramps", like in Timberland and Blood Gulch, you do have enough room to do a 360--spin yourself before leaving the ground. The spin leaves your hog level.

Offline Ghostly Shotz

• Junior Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
Try going to the middle more and aiming your tires right

My first sig!

Arya's awesome sig! I love it!!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

(\(;,;)/) This is Vampire. Copy and paste Vampire into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Offline BFM_LËÕ

• Sergeant
  • Brohoof
    • My Sigs
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:48:55 PM »
My question is; When you are jumping a ramp wheather it be in infinity or deathisland are there anyways to adjust the hog in mid flight. For example: I jumped the ramp in danger canyon. I went into a dreadful endo (car landed too far forward on front tires) and tipped. Is there anyway to avoid this besides speed adjustment?:

what u have just described i put down to lag it happens if u get a lag spike in mid air the best way to fix it is  go slower over the jumps but not to slow   :P
There is no Them. There are only facets of Us.

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:17:34 AM »
i'll tap the decelerater RIGHT before i go off the end... it you time it right, you'll go into a PERFECT flight!  ;D

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 04:42:20 PM »
Actually the hog and the mastercheif both respond to input while in mid-air.  They do so at a very slow rate so most of the time it is not noticeable and it is even less noticable in the hog because of the higer rate of speed the hog travels at.  It is worth experimenting with though because on the occasion when you go off the jump wrong and you land in such a way that your hog is just barely wanting to roll over, that samll amount of influence you give it in the air can make the difference between rolling it and keeping it on all fours.  The best thing to do is to experiment with and learn how to correctly go off jumps.  The angle you leave the ground, the speed you are going at and whether or not you are accelerating or decelerating at the moment you leave the groud all have a bigger impact on what the hog does while in the air than any input you have while in the air.

The effect of the hog leveling out while going over the ramp in Danger Canyon is a well known phenomenon that has nothing to do with mid-air input and everything to do with an invisable structure left in the map by the designers.  I don't know if it was intentional or not but there is what is refered to as the "invisable ramp" in the middle of Danger Canyon that only seems to interfere with hog flight when you are jumping the ramp on the way to red base and mostly when you leave the ramp facing slightly to the right of center.  You can avoid this ramp simply by doing, as said above, controling where and how you go off the ramp.  We can describe these things all day long but the only real way to get them down is to practice them for yourself...so get to it.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Pynk Dude

• Posts Too Much
  • Yea I'm Pink...so what?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 05:43:28 PM »
they all preaty much said it, just slow down very slightly as you go off it

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 04:13:53 PM »
this will solve your problem. 

befor you watch read the comments.

i don't know if i posted this correctly or not but if i didn't feel free to do whatever it takes to make it correct. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNPfhPP9jU8
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 08:20:10 AM »
Actually the hog and the mastercheif both respond to input while in mid-air.  They do so at a very slow rate so most of the time it is not noticeable and it is even less noticable in the hog because of the higer rate of speed the hog travels at.  It is worth experimenting with though because on the occasion when you go off the jump wrong and you land in such a way that your hog is just barely wanting to roll over, that samll amount of influence you give it in the air can make the difference between rolling it and keeping it on all fours.  The best thing to do is to experiment with and learn how to correctly go off jumps.  The angle you leave the ground, the speed you are going at and whether or not you are accelerating or decelerating at the moment you leave the groud all have a bigger impact on what the hog does while in the air than any input you have while in the air.

An easy way to experiment with this is to go get dev mod and practice jumping off the bridge (basically the entire map) of gephyrophobia with not hurt from falls and deathless player on. You fall long enough to see how the hog itself reacts to the camera angle and the wheels moving, which are both variables in how the hog reacts while in midair. Of course this isn't going to happen mid race, but it is a good way to experiment with it. Sometimes I get me and my friends and we have bumpercars on the bottom of the map, its really fun, because once you flip out you fall straight down  :evil:

The effect of the hog leveling out while going over the ramp in Danger Canyon is a well known phenomenon that has nothing to do with mid-air input and everything to do with an invisable structure left in the map by the designers.  I don't know if it was intentional or not but there is what is refered to as the "invisable ramp" in the middle of Danger Canyon that only seems to interfere with hog flight when you are jumping the ramp on the way to red base and mostly when you leave the ramp facing slightly to the right of center.  You can avoid this ramp simply by doing, as said above, controling where and how you go off the ramp.  We can describe these things all day long but the only real way to get them down is to practice them for yourself...so get to it.

You can actually use the invisible ramp to your advantage on your way to red base. From stunting experience the ramp takes up roughly half of that side of the ramp (the right side, closest to the center tower), and continues out to become perpendicular to the side of the pipe facing the ramp. The invisible part is just big enough to park roughly a hog and walking room (figuratively speaking, you can't actually walk on it  :doh:). If you can drive your hog towards the right side and get most or all of the hog on it, your hog will level out in midair and will guarantee you land if you're not getting shot at/naded at in midair. If there is no way of hitting the ramp, what I try to do is spin a little bit before launching (similar to coming out of the second base nav at timberland), which usually helps. It may add seconds to your time, but it's better than flipping over and getting back in.

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Print