Print 

Author Topic: Exceptional Trees  (Read 1982 times)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Exceptional Trees
« on: November 27, 2007, 09:51:58 AM »

Offline VxT

• Posts Too Much
Re: Exceptional Trees
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »
How many elves can you spot?

Nice, lotsa trees such as that near where i live, its all grass, fields and mangled trees...

Thanks Hangman!

Water found on Mars!

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:21:52 AM »
I've been to the General Sherman and the Arbol de Tule, I would agree with their statement that the one in Tule is about the most spectacular tree, it is stupendous!!!  I mean its too big to photograph properly and to get the idea you really have to see it.  The market just outside has some pretty awesome pumpkin flower empanadas too!   Nice link though, great stuff!  I want to make one of those circus trees, that is a London Plane Tree and I could plant them and have a tree just like that within 30 years or so, they grow so fast! 

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
I know what you mean Koshiir. Ive always bin a nature boy  :LOL:. At 5 years old, friends were kicking a ball about. I on the other hand was in the bushes looking for bugs. Ive been bitten by nearly every British bug out there lol. And im sick enough to shove a house spider in my mouth at a party to make the girls cringe and run a mile... Not exactly the best thing to do, but errr. Ahwell. It was fun.  :LOL:

Offline BFM_Hlao

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 12:46:45 PM »
I tried growing a Baobab a few years ago, I bought 3 seeds off eBay. Unfortunately the first two died after a few months, according to that though they probably didn't die at all, just lost their leaves. I did a bit of research on them at the time, but I don't think I did enough. :P I still have the third seed under my bed somewhere though, I'll have to try growing it sometime. ;D

Some of those trees on there are truly awesome. I would love to see some of those in real life.

Offline Fuzion

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:28:29 PM »
Woooow, awesome trees!  :o

Signature by AR~H@ngm@n
(July 07)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »

...And it's SOOO much more amazing to actually see these things IN PERSON, too!

Nice find, Railziel!  'Gets one thinking and longing for The Great Outdoors, eh?

Koshiir Ra: As a big-time Boy Scout, outdoorsman, camper, hiker, traveller, river-rat, biker, & rock-climber (less on the latter two over the past 20 years tho  :-\ ) To agree with you I can only add this: NOTHING matches "being out in 'it'" for a spell to really "soak in" all the diversity and beauty that surrounds us.

On a single trip to Hawaii once (not this past trip) I: Hiked the ridges of the Na Pali Coast, snorkled with dolphins and sea turtles, walked through smoldering fields in Volcanoes National Park, watched (at night, from a boat) Kilauea erupt, with red-hot lava flowing into the roiling ocean, and hiked for miles through the miles-wide barren moonscape of Haleakala crater. To top it all off: I watched my first complete total solar eclipse (again from at sea) from within the center of the totality swath, too.

After totality had ended, and the sun began to show once again, I said (to wifey):

"Man a trip with all these wonders like this really puts one in their place!  I feel so... INSIGNIFICANT now!"

It's GOOD to realize what a mote we each are in The Grand Arena, ... and to ponder on all that lies "out there" beyond the range of Today's Travails!

Think I'll go sit out in the cold night darkness with a "warm beverage" and stare at the just-passed full moon and listen to the owls for an hour or so....

Thanks again, Railziel!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 08:50:34 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Rázgrěz

• Senior Poster
  • I am the Razgriz
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 08:37:29 PM »
ive seen the gerneral sherman tree. :)

Print