Print 

Author Topic: Mouse pad settings VISTA question  (Read 2529 times)

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
Mouse pad settings VISTA question
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:50:39 PM »
My Dell laptop with vista does not have a mouse but that little thumb operated pad that moves the cursor around.  When you put your finger on it to move the pointer, it automatically clicks as if you pressed the left button.  Is there a way to disable that?  I know there is an easy way to disable it on a Mac, but Macs are just that way.  Plus the default on my Mac laptop was that it was not on, and when it is on, its a double thumb tap and not a single like VISTA so you actually can use it as intended and not as unintended like the Dell.   Any ideas on how to do this or if its possible, or do I need to just keep on clicking things I don't want to?

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
Re: Mouse pad settings VISTA question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »
It shouldn't be a Vista thing but rather software for the mouse pad.

Look in your taskbar. You should see an icon that has a pad, with two buttons. When you press sown on the cursor movement pad with your finger, it will show the sensitivity. Click on that and look at the options in it. Should be in there if I recall correctly.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 02:23:37 AM »

...And if you don't have that icon in your taskbar, then do:

Start -> Control Panel and see if there's a "Touchpad" entry, or, if not, click on the "Mouse" one and see if it has pad settings there.

Many of them have gestures or keys that you can enter to enable/disable the touchpad as you work, too.

(Note: The above steps may be slightly different for that "Vista" thingy you've got there....)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Wízzßång

• Senior Poster
  • There's no place like ~/
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 03:10:22 AM »
First,  have to ask, why did you go from a Mac to Vista?  <shudder>.

Did Apple ever make laptops with the little eraser mouse buttons?  It must have been an OLD laptop.

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 07:26:38 AM »
First,  have to ask, why did you go from a Mac to Vista?  <shudder>.

Did Apple ever make laptops with the little eraser mouse buttons?  It must have been an OLD laptop.

Eddy & Mr., I'll check that when I go to the office and let you know.   I think I did try that but I'll look again.  Thank you!

Wizz, that question doesn't even deserve an answer!   Of course I didn't switch from Mac to Vista do you think I'm INSANE???, its just my inventory at work is on Microsoft and this laptop cost $700.   Granted, it and the Microsoft software I need it to run are complete crap but what can one do?   Believe me before I bought the Microsoft system I went to the apple store and tried to get them to set me up with the Mac POS they run but they would not.  I wish they did this PC/Microsoft system has been nothing but hassles and the company that installed it charges around $125 per hour to do anything including phone calls to question why what they charged me $125 for last week does not work again this week. 

The Mac laptop pad that clicks I never used, it was disabled, but when I tried it, it was a double touch to click and even then it clicked when I didn't want it too, but around 97% less often than this Dell as set up. 

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 11:10:26 AM »
OK guys thanks, that control panel worked.  I must have looked in a different place yesterday, because the mouse thing that I clicked only said that the mouse was working fine with no options.  But the mouse icon in the control panel had a clicky box where I disabled the tap/click thingy.  Thank you again, I just surfed the web without clicking anything I didn't want to!!!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »

Another satisfied customer!

Let's see.... That'll be 3 minutes at $125/hour...

... $6.25 please!

:winkgrin:

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Wízzßång

• Senior Poster
  • There's no place like ~/
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:59:27 PM »

Wizz, that question doesn't even deserve an answer!   Of course I didn't switch from Mac to Vista do you think I'm INSANE???

Sheesh, you had me worried there...

Have you looked at any of the Mac POS software?  A quick google search found about 30 companies that make Macintosh POS software.

http://web2.airmail.net/larry/pos.html

Heck, even Apple has POS software on their website.

Or is it not your choice, and you're stuck with the system that the company uses?

On a funny side note, did you see that PC world's tests showed that Windows Vista runs the best... on a MacBook Pro?

Apple, not one to miss an opportunity, has made a new Apple ad about it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:03:54 PM by Wízzßång »

Print