Print 

Author Topic: ---> Octane's Racing Tips & Help <---  (Read 5674 times)

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
Re: Racing tips ! ! ! (Yes, got bored... tis a Sunday afterall :D)
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 04:13:44 PM »
Lol, had to get that one of me saying something. :P
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Re: ---> Octane's Racing Tips <---
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 07:18:34 PM »
Probably another great point i should mention (since it helps me personally, a great deal) would be preventing yourself from flipping when a team mate or enemy Warthog is heading straight for you.

It happens to us all. Its almost a fun guessing game! Warthogs crashing into eachother.

But if you play to win in those public race servers, you may wish to take onboard the fact that your going to come across a huge number of head on collisions. Wish to prevent it? Read below.

In real life, what happens to your vehicle as you apply the breaks, or release the acceleration? You slow down would be the first obvious answer. But what else?

Well, the G-Force makes it feel like your falling forwards, towards the windscreen. A few other things happen but most importantly, for this subject, would be that the front end bobs down (engines a pretty heavy thing yah? Well, my foot knows all about it...)  ;D.

Alot of times the servers are full of players who dont race much. So its safe to assume that they generally wont bother slowing down when your heading for each other, so their front end wont bob down. I mean some just enjoy a good old hogwars match with you as you innocently wish to get to that next nav they are near... So, slow down, release that accel key just before impact and let that front end go down. THEY will more than probably (yes im guessing) 75% of the time be the ones to flip and youll just get a lag-jolted nudge.

That percentage greatly decreases though, when the more of an angle the other hogs direction is to hit you, is directed towards the side of your hog and then even further decreased towards the rear end of your hog, simply due to the shape of the hog.
However, with those collisions directed into the more corner-front of your hog and sometimes even on the rare occasion, full on side collisions can be prevented to your hog and will instead cause the other player to flip or at least take the brunt of the impact, by simply slowing down just before he/she/it hits you... And you can go along your merry way, knowing you at least tried to prevent it.  ;D

Small tip for those REALLY new players - If your fish tailing, tap accel then get back to holding it down again once you feel its getting back to controllable...
My arms are getting tired from holding on to the turret so tight...   :nyah:

*Added to 1st post

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
Re: ---> Octane's Racing Tips & Help <---
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 01:42:42 AM »
Good schtuff. I had considered writing one of these in the past but this is very good.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Print