Print 

Author Topic: Advice, pls...  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Rázgrěz

• Senior Poster
  • I am the Razgriz
Re: Advice, pls...
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 07:58:19 PM »
jane you have to tell it to do it

Offline The Rebel™

• Posts Too Much
  • Rebel the Ragin Cajun
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 10:10:28 PM »
Jane go to Start--All programs--Accessories--System Tools--Disk Defragmenter

Once you are there, yes you must give permission, you just select if you want it to automatically do it or not and tell it when. Very simple but works so well :)
Currently traveling through the unknown times in my life. I will be back when i find myself.

Thanks for the sig BFM_H@ngm@n

Offline §§}Compdude

• Posts Too Much
  • Runs With Scissors!
    • Xtremission
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 10:24:39 PM »
I said NONE OF THE ABOVE

You need to delete some files on that hard drive and get it back to 25% free space before you can run an effective defrag. The absolute minimum is about 20-15% I think, but anything less than 25% IMO is going to result in incomplete defrags. Unless of course it's on a drive with more than 10GB free space LOL

Plus enable some compression on some of that stuff, surely you don't use ALL of it?

Oh yeah and get rid of Win2k too...Get XP already!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:28:50 PM by Compdude »
License and registration, sir!

Offline Elmo (One and Only)

• Junior Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 06:18:12 AM »
Diskkeeper, Diskkeeper, Diskkeeper.  I have had ir running without problems on a 120gb hd.  I am a consumate harddrive fragger with installs, unisntalls, packing, unpacking, etc. etc. etc.

Painless.

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »
See being a techy, ive made a vista image with all the things i need on it, like msn halo, etc.. and i simply wipe my laptop every 6 months or so and rebuild it off the image (contained on my server) the whole process takes like 30 mins  ;D

what id recomend is that you put all your files on one disk (the nessacary ones) and then reinstall windows on the drive that it was on, after deleting the partiton and reformatting etc.. makes it all wizzy and new again

Ben

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 09:06:45 PM »
See being a techy, ive made a vista image with all the things i need on it, like msn halo, etc.. and i simply wipe my laptop every 6 months or so and rebuild it off the image (contained on my server) the whole process takes like 30 mins  ;D

what id recomend is that you put all your files on one disk (the nessacary ones) and then reinstall windows on the drive that it was on, after deleting the partiton and reformatting etc.. makes it all wizzy and new again

Ben

1) wats "Vista?"

2) No can do: I have SO MUCH STUFF installed and teaked on my machines that "nuke & pave" is out of the question (on those few key systems.)

3) If I HAVE to "go back" I'd do so to one of that system's Ghost images - even faster AND a lot less "rebuild/reinstall" work that way! (The trick here is to make images often enough that you KNOW you have a good one to go BACK to, that's not WAAAY back!  :o )

4) Defrag worked fine.

5) TY for all the suggestions tho!  ;)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 04:47:48 AM »
Vista, As In Microsoft Vista The New OS

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 01:27:28 PM »
OMG you got 140GB back up; I say copy the little one to the back up; wipe the little one clean and reload from the backup. Will be faster and will automatically defrag it for you. I do that kind of stuff all the time, once a year at least. Of course it is because I screwed something up along the way and corrupted something else and possibly even burnt out another so I kind of had to anyway  ;D. But it works just fine for me between defrags. Of course I also like "Eraser" for wiping HDD (which stands for Hard Disk Drive btw not Hard Drive Disk) periodically too. Can get the free space only if you want but is fun to wipe things clean now and then. It is kind of refreshing lol.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 04:04:53 PM »
Forseti is teh tech guru!

Ben: PS. Mxy was joking, xDDDDDDD

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Contact

• Posts Too Much
  • You will give my Hoggie back!
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 01:51:09 AM »
There's a particular reason that I should NOT have to do such trivial maintenance on THIS system!  Anyone (Except Rebel!)?

Win2K3EE - Its a Window Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.  More money does not always mean better  ;)
And the reason for the small discs could be that the are older SCSI Hot Swap discs.  What are the specs of this machine?

Give your self a Chrissy pressie Mxy and Go Debian   

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 02:06:49 AM by BFM_Contact »

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 06:08:35 AM »
yeh, sorta hoped he was joking, but wasnt rude in case he wasnt :P
if you want an evaluation copy of server 2003 enterprise i have a 180 day trial..

Ben

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 11:40:24 PM »

Thx for being innocently helpful tho, Ben.  I appreciated the attempt, nonetheless!  (Ya, my "sense of humor" takes some getting used to, and time....  ;D )

Yes, ContACT, you got it: But I wouldn't think that it would be "self-defragging" because it "cost alot," but rather because it's supposed to be built to run ENTIRE MAJOR FORTUNE 1000 ENTERPRISES - and some buffoon has to LOG IN TO IT AND RUN DEFRAG every few weeks/months/whatever?!?!

Yes, I'd take Unix (back - I'm a Solaris zealot, actually), but this was my foray into "full imersion M$-land" cuzza I wanted Roaming Profiles and all on my home network.  (It didn't hurt that I had access to a legal, FULL EE version for free either!  :o )

It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but then, I'm not running a big enterprise-level environment here, either!

Thanks for all the "helpful" concern tho, folks!

:winkgrin:

Offline BFM_SirTaco

• BFM Admin
  • Bother!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 12:01:34 AM »
lol dude thats funny i thought they actually did something

Offline Contact

• Posts Too Much
  • You will give my Hoggie back!
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 04:55:03 AM »
It didn't hurt that I had access to a legal, FULL EE version for free either!  :o

Free is always nice - my access to windows server is a full version of Standard, however EE would have been nice to play with the clustering option.  I understand why MS implemented the defrag option and why it is necessary, however why not make it an automated task is beyond me - especially on systems designed to stay up and running.

Having said that I have been having fun lately playing with Heartbeat or Linux-ha, which is open source Linux failover software.  I only need to get my hands on a Fibre switch so I can set myself up a local Fabric for my Halo server and SAN:D

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 10:24:38 PM »

Yikes, ContACT!

...And I thought I was crazy what with having a computer closet that has a UPS system in it!

(Me, I got it for the roaming profiles, and the ease that gives me for backing up EVERYONE'S "important stuff" automatically, unattended, and failsafed....)

Print