Print 

Author Topic: Looking for a telephone answering program  (Read 2213 times)

Offline A41~CET

• Junior Poster
  • Screaming Eagles!!!
    • My Photobucket album
Looking for a telephone answering program
« on: January 18, 2008, 02:02:52 PM »
Hello,

I have a cable internet connection, I have a phone line hooked to my modem so I can send and recieve faxes.   What I am looking for is a program that I can answer my home phone while on my computer.  I usually have my headset on and if Im in game it is very distracting to take off my head set to answer the phone.

Does anybody know of a program like this?

Hoping to find a free program, if it is good.

Thanks,

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Looking for a telephone answering program
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 12:26:10 AM »

You're not going to believe this, but there's a fairly good phone dialer/caller/answerer that comes with Windows XP!

Start -> Accessories -> Communication -> Phone Dialer

It even handles Internet phone, and conference calls (phone or voice server), too!

As long as you have it running it will pop-up and ask if you want to answer the phone (on your machine) with a popup.

Note: It might be an option to install this application, and it might only come with XP Pro - I don't know for sure.

Lemme know if you don't have it /can't find it and I'll dig further and get it for you, k?

*EDIT*
This application is included in ALL instance of Windows XP.  See my post a bit later with details on how to "activate" it....

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 07:56:10 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Rázgrěz

• Senior Poster
  • I am the Razgriz
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 01:01:38 AM »
mxy I just looked and i couldent find it. i have XP Sec pak2. i can check tommaro with someone who has xp pro

Offline §§}Compdude

• Posts Too Much
  • Runs With Scissors!
    • Xtremission
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »
I don't have this program either, XP Pro SP2 build 2600. Closest I have is HyperTerminal and that's only for Telnet.

I would be interested in getting this software as well. Although as I understand it the phone dialer software is primarily on the commercial-side OSes
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 03:47:47 PM by Compdude »
License and registration, sir!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 07:51:28 PM »

I looked into it.  Phone Dialer comes with all forms of Windows XP, and it is INVISIBLY INSTALLED on your computer already, it simply lacks an icon to run it! (?!?!?  YA GOTTA LOVE MICROSOFT, EH?!?)

Follow the simple directions here to create an icon (AKA shortcut) from which you can thereafter run the Phone Dialer.

FYI: I have a duplicate icon (shortcut) for it in my "Desktop" Taskbar.  'Makes it easy to enable/disable it with a few quick clicks & no menu dragging! And if you want it to ALWAYS run whenever you log in put a copy of the icon (shortcut) in your "Startup" folder in your "All Programs" list. (I.e. Right-click & drag icon into Start -> All Programs -> Startup "drop" it and select "Copy.")
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 07:54:29 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline §§}Compdude

• Posts Too Much
  • Runs With Scissors!
    • Xtremission
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 10:07:46 PM »
Wow that was easy. Thanks Mxy!

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:59:17 PM »
mxy I do not have Phone dialer on my computer.. I dont think it comes with Xp Pro 64-Bit
I followed all of those instructions and its not there in that folder..
A part of the winning teams for season 9, 10, 13, 17, 18 and now 19. Thanks for all of the great memories guys :D

Offline §§}Compdude

• Posts Too Much
  • Runs With Scissors!
    • Xtremission
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 05:12:50 PM »
Bleach you've got an email coming with the program attached as a text file. You may have to use compatibility mode to run it though.

Print