Print 

Author Topic: jumping out to nade hog that is loading up  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Totoro

• Newbie Poster
  • Nomnomnomnom!
jumping out to nade hog that is loading up
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:35:27 PM »
Blood Gulch. I am approaching base of 2nd cliff, solo. I come up to the base of the cliff and find an enemy rocket hog loading up directly in front of me. I slam on the brakes, but nowhere to hide, so I jumped out and naded them then hopped back in and continued on my path. (Nade ineffective, and they killed me anyways lol... In MY mind I was not aggressive ENOUGH...)

I got a "tsk tsk tsk" from BFM_Effect and when I asked what I did wrong was told it was a "grey area".

My assumptions that this was legal were based on the following 2 rules: (trimmed for brevity)

7.1.    You may attack an enemy player when... you believe you are in imminent danger.

7.2. If you are driving a gunnerless hog, you may only exit your vehicle to defend if: ...  or an enemy rocket hog with a gunner is following or approaching you.

Now technically they were not following me or approaching me... they were directly in front of me, about half a hog's length away when I took action. In my mind this falls unequivocally within the spirit of the rule, so I am hoping this is not where the issue lies. (Same as if 2 hogs were driving side by side, etc...)

In my mind, this was not a grey area at all. I was outnumbered, outgunned and with nowhere to hide. I was at an extreme disadvantage being at point blank range of a loaded rocket hog while I was solo.

So please clarify for me. I try very hard to play by the rules as I understand them. It's frustrating to get called out when I think I actually showed restraint by getting back in my hog and trying to get away rather than pistoling them. (Which I think I had the right to do)

Maybe I just don't get it? Was I just supposed to eat a rocket there?

Thank you, Toto

Edit: I should humbly add that I love the servers and think the admins do a great job, Effect huuugely included. I really just want to know what i should have done in that situation and why I'm askin. The only other options I could see ended with me dying some time in the next 45 seconds unless I hid in a cave.  :LOL:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:06:27 AM by Totoro »

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: jumping out to nade hog that is loading up
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:53:32 AM »

The short and simple answer is that you should have tried to ram them instead, but you didn't necessarily break any rule. The "what's brevity mean" answer goes like this...

In a perfect server, where everyone knows and follows the rules all the time, and everyone is perfectly reasonable, rational and has plenty of time to make decisions:

For a situation like what you've described, your best option is to ram them to try to flip their hog and/or run over the gunner before he gets in (if you're close enough). Sounds like chase killing, I know, but see rule 8.2 in the chase killing section of the rules.

If you're too far away to ram them before the gunner is in, then you probably have time to swerve out of their path. If swerving is not for you, continue forward and when the gunner is in the hog and ready to shoot (you should be close enough by now), jump out and nade them.

When you're on foot and find yourself with two enemies on foot (2v1), you can attack them and try to kill one so that it's even (1v1). You can jump out of your lone hog to nade a loaded enemy hog when they're close and dangerous. You kind of combined the two and the result was right on the line of fair and legal. Before they teamed up, the enemy hog was a lone hog, so off limits. The future gunner was presumably not attacking or even looking at you (yet), and not a threat. So in that nanosecond of time, they were not fair game for you, but you jumped out to kill them anyway.

What you did wasn't really wrong. It was a quick decision and things would have been perfect if you'd waited half a second, and that's not a big deal. I personally would not have said anything about it. It looked fishy to Effect, and his quick decision was to "tsk" and let it go (which is pretty good considering all of it). The heat of the moment isn't the best time for quick decisions, but I hope this one worked out well enough.

Hopefully I've given you enough info to make speedy decision making even harder when it comes time, haha. If you have any other questions about it, let me know. It's always my pleasure to tell people about all the legal kills they can get ;)

Offline Totoro

• Newbie Poster
  • Nomnomnomnom!
Re: jumping out to nade hog that is loading up
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »
Thanks Jane, for all that. I hear what you are saying, and am going to try to wrap my brain around the nuggety wisdom.

For what it's worth, my original plan was to ram them. It was only a plan for about 1/2 of a second tho, and it was only when I realized that I wasn't gonna be able to flip them and as a bonus had placed myself right on the bumper of a loaded RH that I jumped out and naded. That's why I was right behind them when it happened. So I guess I sort of set myself up to fail.

At that point veering around meant playing footsie with them for the next 3 navs while they 180'd around me 3 times in the next 30 seconds, assuming I made it past the next second or so while the RH barrel swung around at that big red blip on it's radar scampering for cover.  Veering up the ramp would have put me right behind them or along side of them, depending on which flavor of death I felt like trying. Trying to veer around the base of the cliff to the left would have put me right in the gunner's FOV long enough for him to get at least a couple shots off at me, close range. If I hopped out and hid behind my hog, I would have been spinning around that hog like a tether-ball dodging rockets as the enemy hog 180'd at the top of the ramp, came back down towards me, headed to 1st, 180'd again back towards me firing little friendship rockets the whole time.

So in my mind, even though the barrel wasn't pointing at me yet, I had put myself on their radar, with no immediate cover. I felt like it was a threat in sense that unless I relied purely on luck, nothing else I could do was gonna keep me from dying in the next 1-2 seconds.

I ram enemy hogs loading up sometimes. I hide too. I'm the guy that drives around the back of the bases on Infinity to avoid a RH rather than get out and nade. In this case I took a more aggressive approach because I didn't see another option that didn't end with me very politely accepting my fate and dying. But I can see how it looked funky, so I apologize and I'll get a diagnostic run on my  my nano quantum-probability engine implant.  It's been a little hinky ever since I got hit by that lightning bolt.

Thx Jane and sorry Effect for riding the edge there.

Toto

Print