Print 

Author Topic: Why the BFM server needs sapp ?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline clipseur

• Newbie Poster
Why the BFM server needs sapp ?
« on: February 19, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »
First of all, it has to be said that ALL commands are written in chat rather than console.

sapp is a software similar to gandanur or phasor whose purpose is to run the server. It also allows the commands to be simplified while offering more functionality:

1) no_lead: in general, it is already included in recent console and PC games. It controls/disables the shot-lead due to ping (in halo, it is not natively implemented). It is not a problem when the players have a good ping, but (as an example) for anyone facing Mil or kingas who usually have an elevated ping it is frustrating to die over and over again caused because they kept missing shots. Even more so, it is possible to apply a custom lead to the server, so it is not completely disabled but adjusted to be fairer to everyone.

2) antibot: cannot be more explicit. This bans automatically all the aimbots and aim-assist cheaters (it won't ban automatically those extraordinary 50-under-a-minute killers tho)

3) kick/ban with incorporated explanation: besides kicking the player, it is possible to put the reason behind the admin action directly in the log, preventing the need to have a good memory or writing it down elsewhere

4) admin's antiban: it disables the option of kicking/banning another admin from the server

5) sightjacker deactivation: mostly focused on preventing guests from using it, as it allows admins its free use

6) score storing: if a player quits the server and later rejoins in the same game, his/her stats are preserved and reinstated, instead of starting over from 0

7) the admins won't be needing rcon password, it is possible to give admins powers via the IP+hash

Other functions:
- muting overly rude/profane players instead of kicking/banning them
- map skipping based on player's votes
- autokick afk players (custom time in seconds)
- automatic autobalance
- spammer automatic muting

If you happen to be interested, check its official site:
http://halo.isimaginary.com/
I never lose,  I win or I learn

Offline BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
Re: Why the BFM server needs sapp ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »
Seems pretty cool nonetheless! Not up to me to decide so let's hope Fuzzy and the other higher ups see this. Thanks clipseur!

Offline BFM_Fénix

• BFM Admin
  • I shall be reborn from the ashes
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:25:37 AM »
Seems pretty cool nonetheless! Not up to me to decide so let's hope Fuzzy and the other higher ups see this. Thanks clipseur!

+1
2000th member of the BFM forums.
According to Hlao, and Hlao's word is law.

Offline BFM_Fuzzy

• Major
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
I asked our server company about Sapp some time ago. But the owner said they only provide Gandanur for their Halo servers. We could switch companies if Sapp is worth it. Could also set up a test server and see how it works.

Most of the features aren't helpful for us, since adminning is pretty calm work now. But no_lead sounds interesting. I know a lot of people are sick of lag stealing their shots. So it could be worth it to at least give it a shot.

I've never been on a no_lead server myself. How much does it help?

Offline clipseur

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »
the no_lead mode does not work at 100%, maybe 95% !  The margin of error is often due to changes of direction fast and brutal (mostly in game slayer) , But it's very effective and the difference in the game is visible
I never lose,  I win or I learn

Print