Print 

Author Topic: Wireless are BAD and Registry Errors (Query)  (Read 1729 times)

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
Wireless are BAD and Registry Errors (Query)
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »
Limegreen = wireless question
Orange = Registry question

On Wednesdays, I have no choice for internet other than wireless. I'm on campus for 4 hours in between lectures, and I want to play Halo or CoD while waiting. (waste of gas and time to go back to my place to just turn around and come back lol)

Today, I had an issue where I could connect to the internet and go to any site I wanted with no trouble (Facebook, BFM Forums, XFire, YouTube, Email, etc.) but was unable to connect to ANY gaming server. In CoD4, Halo, and Vent, I was totally unable to see who was in the server, the server ping and connect to the server. This was both with using XFire and using the halo/cod game lobby. For the longest time today, I thought no one was racing, until I went to the BFM main page and did a server query. I saw that server 1 has been full for a long time. lol

I rebooted my laptop, did a diagnose and repair, did a virus scan, and all came up negative. It's only one day a week when I have to use wireless*, but I'm just wondering if it is possible a wireless connection provider (Penn State University) can block specific gaming on their network, even if it is someone's personal laptop.

* Assuming that when I get home later tonight and plug into my wired internet connection, I will be able to connect to the servers and vent.

I was wondering if there is a reputable, and free, registry cleaner/repair. I got a free scan, and it said I had 450+ errors. It would only clean 15 for free :bang: Just a little background on this, I decided not so long ago to do a registry scan when I finally got tired of getting "Program Not Responding" when loading up CoD4, so I did the scan, thinking it would also clean the errors, and I could go play CoD without having to wait an extra 40 - 60 seconds for dumb Vista to realize the game is responding.

Any comments or help is very appreciated.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I used to be able to connect and play just fine a while ago, but it's been about 6 months to a year since I have had this much time between lectures to game lol. So that's why my main question is, is it possible for a wireless network to block gaming?

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
Re: Wireless are BAD and Registry Errors (Query)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:48:57 PM »
I rebooted my laptop, did a diagnose and repair, did a virus scan, and all came up negative. It's only one day a week when I have to use wireless*, but I'm just wondering if it is possible a wireless connection provider (Penn State University) can block specific gaming on their network, even if it is someone's personal laptop.
Most do, I know both colleges I have been(Pensacola Christian & Uni of South AL) to had all common gaming ports closed, and some websites would not load either. While you would be able to access it from your dorm room, you wouldnt be able to at the lounge or study areas. I assume this is the issue.

As for your registry entries, try Ccleaner.
http://www.ccleaner.com
It has a registry scan feature.

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »
know both colleges I have been(Pensacola Christian & Uni of South AL) to had all common gaming ports closed, and some websites would not load either.

Figures as much. I used to be able to game on the network, but i guess they don't like students gaming :| It's a commuter college as well, I'm not up at the main campus yet. Meh, w/e lol

As for your registry entries, try Ccleaner. http://www.ccleaner.com It has a registry scan feature.
That seemed to have worked. Thanks Jax!

Offline BFM_SWiFT

• BFM Admin
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 01:41:36 AM »
My university blocks anything gaming related, including these forums lol. I also have a couple 4 hour gaps :(

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:23:49 AM »

[...]

As for your registry entries, try Ccleaner.
http://www.ccleaner.com
It has a registry scan feature.

CCleaner is awesome!  Awesome is CCleaner!

Print