Print 

Author Topic: ASK HERE: Apple / Mac Stuff - Support and Questions  (Read 9033 times)

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
ASK HERE: Apple / Mac Stuff - Support and Questions
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:28:58 AM »
From iPods to Intel Macs, Apple gadgets to MacIntosh doodads, this is the place to ask your questions.  Please be sure to check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) sub-forum for an answer to your question before you post.  Who knows, it might have been answered already! 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 04:18:51 PM by BFM_Chaindog »
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline -JR-Sp¥

• Newbie Poster
Re: ASK HERE: Apple / Mac Stuff - Support and Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 09:37:42 AM »
I have just recieved my biggies from JR yesterday (yes thank you thank you ;) ) and I needed some help with the whole Rcon/iKey situation. I just needed some help seeing how it was done as I tried fruitlessly with no idea what I was doing. Daigoro has helped me in the past but any other Mac user with iKey and an idea of how to set it up send me a PM. Thanks ;D

Spy was away on vacation for a couple weeks. When he got back he PM'd me and he's all good to go now--Daigoro
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:53:58 PM by BFM_Daigoro »
[imghttp://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9697/bondlisencespartanhb5.jpg[/img]http://

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 08:52:42 PM »
Can always ask Daigoro again.  He is still here.   d_b
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline 'Medic

• Posts Too Much
  • High Speed, Low Drag.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 03:40:57 PM »
Got a question about BootCamp, winXP and halo CE.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to buy another halo version to run on XP so I can run CE if I have a key for my Mac version?

2. When I setup my Bootcamp XP partition, how big shoudl I make it? I don't want to give over all my drivespace to Micro$oft but I'd like to give myself the option to upgrade to Vista if it comes along and also leave enough room to play CE.

3. If i decide my hands are dirty enough and want to delete the whole Micro$oft mess, Can I re-assimilate the XP partition back to the mac partition without losing the data integrity of my Mac Partition? ( i suppose I can find this out myself by looking it up.

4. I think i remember Diagoro saying he plays halo on his XP partition almost exclusively. Is this a better idea? how's performance with Ventrilo, Keyboard express and xfire up and running?

Current setup:
Mackbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (black, of course)
1Gb ram
120GB HDD (111GB usable) Currently shows 36Gb available but I am cataloging my old Classical music CDs (256kbs) and I'll need another 8-16Gb or so.

Future setup:
Bootcamp:
WinXP SP2 (fully  licensed version)
McAfee viruscan with all the latest updates (through the university)
Spyware killer (through university)
WInXP parition ?? 16Gb? can I get away with 8Gb? or even smaller?

Thanks, in advance!

-'Medic

-signature courtesy of Atroxide & h@ngm@n

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try!"
--Master Yoda

Offline Daigoro

• Posts Too Much
  • shishogan...swordsman's eyes
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »
Hi Medic, I can answer only a couple of these:

(1)  Yes, you do have to buy one, but they're a lot cheaper than the Mac version.

(2) Halo takes 1.5 GB, but I imagine CE maps must add up if you download those. I would think 10 GB would be plenty. I thought Boot Camp partition could be increased if needed?

(3) I think so, but don't know... I haven't used Boot Camp.

(4) I used Parallels and it doesn't work. A future release will support DirectX 9, so maybe then. I'm waiting for Leopard before I install Boot Camp.
Sincerely,
Daigoro

Offline 'Medic

• Posts Too Much
  • High Speed, Low Drag.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:46:15 PM »
Thanks a bajilion, Diagoro.

Paralells was on my mind too but I came by a legal copy of XP and all the rest at a much more budget-friendly price than the cost of paralells.

i'd be keen to follow your experience once you get the future release. I'd MUCH rather run Micro$oft apps on the OSX platform than have to keep switching back and forth.

Any other Mac Users with my kind of setup?

Thanks,

-'Medic

--Master Yoda

Offline AR~Archon

• Senior Poster
  • No surrender, no retreat
    • MacFire (Xfire for Mac)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 04:19:25 PM »
(Ack, my session timed out while typing this post, now I have to rewrite it from memory  :'( )

I have the first rev MacBook Pro, 2 GHz Core Duo, 100 GB drive @ 7200 rpm, 2 GiB RAM.  I'm interested in trying Boot Camp or Parallels, but I'm down to ~ 5 GB on my hard drive  :o .  I think Boot Camp is technically beta until Leopard, anyway, so it's probably better to wait on that one.

I've been meaning to find a good external storage solution so I can make room on my internal drive, but I haven't yet.  I'm lazy that way :P
The minstrel boy to the war has gone...
Understanding is a three edged sword.  Your side, their side, and the truth.
Who are you?  What do you want?  Why are you here?  Where are you going?

Offline 'Medic

• Posts Too Much
  • High Speed, Low Drag.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 07:35:18 AM »
Archon,

I've got almost the same setup. I'd think you'd probably need to clean out your HDD to make some room but, despite it being a beta, boot camp is pretty durn stable. In fact, I've been hearing ppl claim that XP is MUCH more stable on their Macbooks than it ever was on their Gateway/HP/Dell towers.

A firewire drive will probably be your best bet for external storage. My brother has a G4 powerbook as his ony computer. He's a self-employed consultant, so, it's critical that he keep a backup. he's also converted his CD library to MP3. He dropped the dime and got a 160Gb external Firewire HDD. He loves it and notices no loss in performance.

He does his backups to it and stores his music on there for general storage.

Good luck and let me know what you find.

-'Medic

--Master Yoda

Offline Noodle

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
Hey. I was just wondering which program to use so i can auto-type. Can anyone please tell me? or send me the file Thanks!.  d_b  :evil:

Offline Daigoro

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Hi Noodle. We ask that only BFM members and recruits use macro programs while on our servers. Sorry!
Sincerely,
Daigoro

Offline Enigma

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »
i have a mac, and i cant use xfire. anyone else have same prob?

Zim: Come, GIR. Let us rain some doom down upon the heads of our doomed enemies.
Gir: I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now.
Gir: [singing] Doom doom doom...

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 05:17:55 PM »
Got a question about BootCamp, winXP and halo CE.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to buy another halo version to run on XP so I can run CE if I have a key for my Mac version?

2. When I setup my Bootcamp XP partition, how big shoudl I make it? I don't want to give over all my drivespace to Micro$oft but I'd like to give myself the option to upgrade to Vista if it comes along and also leave enough room to play CE.

3. If i decide my hands are dirty enough and want to delete the whole Micro$oft mess, Can I re-assimilate the XP partition back to the mac partition without losing the data integrity of my Mac Partition? ( i suppose I can find this out myself by looking it up.

4. I think i remember Diagoro saying he plays halo on his XP partition almost exclusively. Is this a better idea? how's performance with Ventrilo, Keyboard express and xfire up and running?

Current setup:
Mackbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (black, of course)
1Gb ram
120GB HDD (111GB usable) Currently shows 36Gb available but I am cataloging my old Classical music CDs (256kbs) and I'll need another 8-16Gb or so.

Future setup:
Bootcamp:
WinXP SP2 (fully  licensed version)
McAfee viruscan with all the latest updates (through the university)
Spyware killer (through university)
WInXP parition ?? 16Gb? can I get away with 8Gb? or even smaller?

Thanks, in advance!

-'Medic

ok to u medic, I have  a friend that tried this same thing on His macbook..
1 - Yes you do only costs around 20$ tho
2- Id say around 10-15 depending on whether or not u want to run anything other than Halo/Halo CE on it
3 - Yes, part of the boot camp that my friend came upon is that Boot Camp can delete the XP Partition and assimilate it back into the Mac partition
4 - No Idea whatsoever :P sry

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i have a mac, and i cant use xfire. anyone else have same prob?

X-Fire does not have a version for Mac, you can go to <<HERE>> and its has it in that thread I believe
A part of the winning teams for season 9, 10, 13, 17, 18 and now 19. Thanks for all of the great memories guys :D

Offline Fender

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »
Here's a post from Daigoro's note re: headsets and mics for Macs:
"Topic: Mics and Headsets for Ventrilo

Looking for a headset? The sound input jack on your Mac is not a microphone input jack, even though it's the same size. You must use your Mac's built-in Mic (with headphones) or a USB headset (or possibly a bluetooth headset, but I have no experience with that).

If you use the built-in mic, don't use external speakers, otherwise others will hear an echo (their own voices played through your speakers and then captured by your mic!). Instead, use headphones or earbuds."

I actually use a headset with attached boom mike that I plug into my Mac's mic jack - and it works pretty well.  In fact, Daigoro, you commented on Vent how I was one of the rare people to pronounce your name correctly! In my older system, the built-in mic is down near the keyboard, so it picks up any keystrokes in addition to ambient room noise. In contrast, my headset mic works great with no background noise.

The headset I use is a Labtech C-324, and I'm running a PowerBook G4 with OSX 10.3.9. Anybody else find similar experience?

Offline Fender

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »
Two questions this time:
1. I am running a PowerBook G4, 1.0G RAM, OSX 10.3.9. Is there any advantage (and if so, what) to running the UB version of Halo vs. the standard version that I currently have installed?

2. What are the advantages to installing and using Xfire (or the Mac equivalent -- XBlaze I think it is)?

Thanks for the help!

Offline Daigoro

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 03:10:40 PM »
Hi Fendr. Here ya go:

1.  MacSoft says there is no need to use the UB version. I think the only thing the UB version gives you (that is of value) is you can quit at any time with Command-Q. Other than that (and a few non-game cosmetics), the two versions behave identically. It is possible the new version would give you a better framerate.

2. If you can get XBlaze to work it tells you where your buddies are playing. I have never been able to get it to work though. The current version crashes shortly after my buddy list appears.
Sincerely,
Daigoro

Print