Print 

Author Topic: Precious Cargo - Chapter 10 - I Saw A Pale Horse  (Read 1917 times)

Offline jokerman

• Junior Poster
  • Connecting.......
Precious Cargo - Chapter 10 - I Saw A Pale Horse
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »
<boring stuff>
The following story is copyrighted material and all rights belong solely to the author.  Any reproduction or republication of any or all of this publication without the explicit and expressed written consent from the author is strictly forbidden.
</boring stuff>

Chapter 10 - I Saw A Pale Horse

The Elite looked at the Spartan and the group confused at the encounter.  The Elite waited for a few moments and then stepped forward and said, “I can assure you, he is who he claims to be.”  Seeing no response from any of the humans, the Elite continued, “The Elites call him, ‘Shy-Gheer-Maag’.”

As the reverberating name was uttered, the group instinctively reached for their headsets.  “Sir, my translator is malfunctioning”, said SüprM@ñ.  “Mine too”, said another as the each of the others in the group agreed.  The Spartan kept his eyes on the ONI representative unwavering.

“Your translation devices are not in error”, the Elite said.  “The word is of an ancient dialect of my race.  There is no translation in the Covenant language.  It is a name from one of our oldest legends.”  

The group looked at the Elite as if in disbelief.  The Elite continued, “It is said that long ago, in the time before time began, that there was a being that guided those worthy along the Great Journey.  Those that stood in the way, the heretics, the undeserving, the foul, and outcast were swept away with a wave of his hand.  That the ‘Shy-Gheer-Maag’ happily and joyously cast out many and laughed while doing so.”

“Like ‘Demon’?”, the BFM Spartan asked being intimately familiar with that specific name.

“Not quite.  Perhaps more like a kind of Demon or a particular Demon”, the Elite answered.  “If I understand your some of your ways correctly, it is similar to your Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.  Except in our case, we have only one.”  

The Spartan broke his gaze with the ONI representative and turned to the Elite.  The Elite looked at the Spartan and continued, “This Spartan that stands before you has been my enemy for many of your years.  It was not easy for me to trust him.  I have known only one other worthy opponent with such honor.  I had hoped to know more of you in this manner.  But if you do not wish our help, then so be it.”  

The Elite turned to walk away and again looked to the Spartan.  The Spartan stood looking at the Elite unable to move.  A marine from the group spoke up, “How in all creation did he get a name like that?”

The Elite still looking at the Spartan said, “It was during a battle long ago near a planet that your people call, ‘Purgatory’.”  

The Spartan’s face immediately filled with blood.  His mouth open in his helmet frozen on its indecision of whether to breathe, speak, or choke.  His stomach muscles tightened as his diaphragm began to spasm.  He stared into the Elite’s eyes and saw something that he had never seen before from one of his kind.  He saw sorrow.

“The Battle of Purgatory is a myth!” exclaimed SüprM@ñ.  “I heard it was true, some secret weapon that they were testing”, said Liam.  “No, that’s just something they told the jarheads like »må®îñê« because they are so gullible”, said another.  “Real funny, GlennZ!  Like being from a wilderness area in the Artic Circle makes you so clever”, said »må®îñê«.

When the BFM Spartan heard the Elite’s words he was hesitant.  But when he heard the word ‘Purgatory’, he lowered his gun slightly.  

“Enough!” the BFM Spartan commanded.  “I shouldn’t have to remind you lot not to be rude to our guests!”

“Yes sir”, said SüprM@ñ.  “Sorry sir”, said Liam and »må®îñê«.  “Just having a bit of fun, sir”, said GlennZ.

“Well Spartan, what do you have to say for yourself?” the BFM Spartan asked.

The Spartan was fully aware of what was going on around him but could not break his eyes from the Elite’s.  Finally, SüprM@ñ spoke up, “Spartan, the General asked you a question.”

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:50:43 PM by jokerman »

Print