Print 

Author Topic: How to: Get latest (approved) drivers  (Read 6304 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
How to: Get latest (approved) drivers
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »

I think that I've now typed this out over a dozen times, so!...:

First off, only get the latest device drivers when you've encountered a BSoD or other "crash" type situation. (Exception: If you're having system stability problems and you feel it might help to get new drivers, but DO NOT just get drivers because they're NEWER!)

The best way to get the latest approved drivers is through Windows Update. (You may already have the right ones, but this method assures that you'll have the ones that THEY INTEND you be using....)

0) Start up IE (yes, you MUST use IE for this!*) and select Tools -> Windows Update

1) Accept any stuff about "getting the latest Windows Update software," etc. and when presented with the Welcome Express/Custom screen, choose "Custom." (Note: ALWAYS choose "Custom" for Windows Updates so you can be picky about WHAT you update!)

2) We're only after the "Hardware, Optional" updates here, so if 1) There is a number other than "0" following "Hardware, Optional" in the left-hand menu column, AND 2) there are "High Priority updates listed and pre-checked for you... UNCHECK ALL THE HIGH PRIORITY UPDATES. [Come BACK after you do the Optional stuff and get them later ... IFF you want.]

3) Select "Hardware, Optional (X)" to display what Microsoft and the vendors of your computer hardware THINK are the drivers you SHOULD be using.  Here you have a choice:

- Only get the drivers you KNOW or THINK you want/need, OR...

- If you just want all the latest drivers and don't care much about "unnecessary" change, then by all means, check and accept them all.
(But don't say I didn't warn you about doing that!)

4) Select the "Review and install updates" link at the top of the listed updates and follow the rest of the on-screen instructions (including a probable reboot of your computer.)

Voila!

Now you've got the latest drivers that you THOUGHT might help you out!

:winkgrin:

* Or see reply #3, below for a way to get Windows Updates via Firefox.  Given that this invokes an "emulator" for IE, I make no promises regarding - nor have I tried - this method.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:33:15 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
Re: How to: Get latest (approved) drivers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:47:06 AM »
Does this work with laptops also? Older laptops. (2003-2006)

-Hydra

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:32:00 AM »
OMG... I am doing this as I speak... lol and not because I read/saw this :P Freaky As..

On Topic: Great Post Mxy!!!

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:35:34 PM »
Does this work with laptops also? Older laptops. (2003-2006)

-Hydra

Anything running Windows. On Windows 98 you had a Windows Update right there in the Start Menu...sigh.

0) Start up IE (yes, you MUST use IE for this) and select Tools -> Windows Update

OR! This is what I did with Firefox. I used IE Tab.

1- Go to the Mozilla Addons website. If it's not in your favorites, it would be http://addons.mozilla.org
2- Install IE Tab. (If you get an error about it not being there, it's because you're not logged in and don't have some feature enabled or whatever. If this is still going on, I can grab the XPI for you and tell you how to install it from the desktop)
3- After restarting Firefox, open a new tab (or use this one) and go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

IE Tab will take over and make that tab behave exactly like IE. Right down to the rendering engine!
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Print