Print 

Author Topic: Minute Mysteries Game!  (Read 96472 times)

Offline FÁTÈ

• Junior Poster
  • Don't tempt me
    • I am watching you.
Re: Minute Mysteries Game!
« Reply #495 on: December 16, 2009, 11:46:15 PM »
An Atom?

No, but since you at least gave it a try go ahead. I'll save this one for the riddle game.
Otherwise Mxy is going to have a heart attack!!!
A big thanks to Miser for this awesome sig

Click my eggs to help them hatch         

Offline Gun Haver

• Junior Poster
  • lol I Has Gun =D
« Reply #496 on: December 17, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »
There is a man laying dead in a field, with a green package near him. How did he die?

Yes or no questions

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #497 on: December 17, 2009, 10:20:10 PM »
There is a man laying dead in a field, with a green package near him. How did he die?

Yes or no questions

Too bad his parachute didn't open (and is lying next to him....)

Prolly army surplus!

FYI: This is a Lateral Thinking Puzzle....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Gun Haver

• Junior Poster
  • lol I Has Gun =D
« Reply #498 on: December 18, 2009, 10:28:46 AM »
o.O not even 24 hours your go Mxieeeeey

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #499 on: December 21, 2009, 12:30:50 AM »
[Thought I did this one before, but couldn't find it, so... if you saw it before, play dumb!  :winkgrin: ]

The Dead Detective

"Pretty fancy for a P.I.'s office," Sergeant Drumand commented. "Hay did all right since leaving the force."

"Until now," said Lieutenant Molly Malone. She took in the plush furnishings, the huge oak desk, and the expensive artwork adorning the walls. But the effect was ruined by Harvey Hay's crumpled form bloodying the carpet beneath the window. The summer morning sun poured through the single, open window. It was warm, but the room felt cold with death.

Molly studied the dead private eye one more time. "Looks like the killer smashed in his skull from behind."

"Yeah," Drumand agreed. "And that bloody hammer beside him is what did the job."

"Probably. It might also be what was used to stun Patrolman Grove. Let's go out to the waiting room and see what Grove can tell us."

Policeman Artie Grove gingerly pressed an ice bag to the lump on the back of his skull. "I'd stopped at the café across the road for a cup of coffee. When I came out, I heard a loud cry. It seemed to have come from this building, so I hurried over and pounded on the door. No one answered, but I noticed the door wasn't quite latched, so I gave it a push. The door to the inner office wasn't closed, and across the room...Well, you know what I saw."

"We do," Molly said. "But that's not the end of your story."

Grove frowned and shifted his big frame in the chair. "No, I guess it isn't. I did a dumb thing. Without thinking, I started toward him. A shadow fell over my shoulder, but before I could swing around...." He lifted the ice from his skull, wincing.

"So you didn't get even a glimpse at the perp.," Sergeant Drumand scowled.

"'Fraid not. I blacked out for a couple minutes. Next thing I knew Hay's secretary was standing over me screaming."

Molly glanced at Drumand. "I think it's time we question the secretary. Meanwhile, Grove, have one of those paramedics take another look at your head."

Marie Fallon wiped her eyes with a red handkerchief. "Harvey asked me to marry him. Just yesterday. And now--" She twisted the handkerchief with her nail-bitten fingers.

"Did Mr. Hay usually arrive at the office before you?" Molly asked gently.

The petite woman nodded. "Harvey liked to come in early--even when he wasn't busy."

"Then business was slow at the moment?"

"Yes. Nothing he was working on could have led to this." She sobbed softly.

"Maybe it ties in with a past case?" Drumand suggested. "He must've made some enemies in his profession."

"I suppose. Harvey didn't give me all the details when he worked on a case. He only told me what he thought was safe for me know."

"We'd like to look through his files, Ms. Fallon."

"Of course. Whatever. You know, that window wasn't open when I pulled up."

"It wasn't?" Molly glance out the window to the photographer's studio across the parking lot. "What door did you use to come in this morning?"

"There's only one--on the other side of the building."

"Thanks. Uh, one more thing. The weapon--"

"Was it that hammer? If so, it wasn't Harvey's. But I saw Jim Cassey using one like it yesterday out in front of his store."

"Jim Cassey?"

"Yes. He owns that photo place. He and Harvey didn't get along at all."

Molly and Drumand went to question Cassey.

"I don't know what you think I can tell you," Cassey complained.

"Then you know why we're here?"

"Sure. When I saw the cop cars and ambulance I popped outside to check what was happening."

"I understand you were repairing something with a hammer yesterday."

"Yeah. An awning. So what?"

"May I see the hammer, please."

"Can't. Forgot to bring it inside. I was just looking for it now, but…*expletive*! You're not saying my hammer was used--"

"Sure looks that way, Mr. Cassey."

"Well, it wasn't me. Though Hay's getting murdered doesn't surprise me. I developed a few pictures for him when he first started up. Bad stuff. Told him to take his business elsewhere. How he could follow people around and pry into their lives like he did...What a sleazeball!"

"Anyone could have done it," Drumand said, as he and Molly returned to the murder scene. "Anyone could have picked up that hammer and killed Hay." He motioned toward the open window. "If the window was closed, like Ms. Fallon said, then she must've driven up while the killer was still inside. This was the escape route."

Molly nodded, frowning, then stared at Drumand as he bent over the bloody mark on the carpet. "Of course! Why didn't I see it before. Sergeant, I think I know who the killer is."

Who does Lt. Molly Malone suspect?
Patrolman Grove
Marie Fallon
Jim Cassey
Someone Else?

What gave them away?

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #500 on: December 21, 2009, 01:06:04 AM »

The body was under a window, but the cop says as he walked over to the body a shadow fell over his shoulder.  That couldn't be right if he's walking towards the window?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #501 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:03 PM »

The body was under a window, but the cop says as he walked over to the body a shadow fell over his shoulder.  That couldn't be right if he's walking towards the window?

Close enough, brown-covered-green-inside one!

It was, indeed Patrolman Grove....

The Explanation

When Drumand moved toward the bloodstained carpeting, Molly noticed his shadow and saw the truth. Grove said his assailant's shadow fell over his shoulder as he approached Hay's body, but that wasn't possible. The morning sun coming in the window would throw all shadows behind a person, not in front of him.

Yur up, Kiwi!

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #502 on: December 23, 2009, 07:27:26 PM »

Old Mr Smith was found dead in his study by Mr Jones. Mr Jones recounted his dismal discovery to the police.

"I was walking by Mr Smith's house when I thought I would just pop in for a visit. I noticed his study light was on and I decided to peek in from the outside to see if he was in there. There was frost on the window, so I had to wipe it away to see inside. That is when I saw his body.  So I kicked in the front door to confirm my suspicions of foul play.  I called the police immediately afterward."

The officer immediately arrested Mr Jones for the murder of Mr Smith. How did he know Mr Jones was lying?

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #503 on: December 23, 2009, 11:22:13 PM »
The only clue I see is that if the window was frosted, how could he know that Mr. Smith had his reading light on?

Wait, frost develops on the warmer side of the window, therefore he couldn't have wiped away the frost because it would've been on the inside of the house.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #504 on: December 24, 2009, 12:59:39 AM »

:yesyes:

Got it in one.

Your go.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #505 on: December 24, 2009, 03:49:30 PM »
I was just going to say "Dr. Lightman was watching the conversation"

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2010, 07:53:21 AM »
Psst, Goalie, your turn :P
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #507 on: February 27, 2010, 04:29:04 AM »
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline Gun Haver

• Junior Poster
  • lol I Has Gun =D
« Reply #508 on: March 04, 2010, 09:52:37 PM »
Goalie has 3 days...

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #509 on: March 05, 2010, 02:06:40 AM »
Psst! It's been your turn on minute mysteries for 3 months ;)

Sent a PM ;)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Print