Print 

Author Topic: Minute Mysteries Game!  (Read 92677 times)

Offline Chris«

• Regular Poster
Re: Super Hard Riddles Game!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 11:51:19 AM »
        Sid Shady was working for a large construction company that was very concerned about employee theft. Someone tipped company security that Shady was the man to watch. Each night, he passed through security with a wheelbarrow full of scrap lumber, discarded electrical wires, and chunks of concrete. The security guards checked the contents daily, but could find nothing of value. What was Shady stealing?
Formerly Geek2.

Offline OÐî ñ

• Junior Poster
  • this is U
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
wheelbarrows?

"A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him."

Thx for the sig Ds Black!

Offline Chris«

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 12:43:06 PM »
Yup. Yur up.
Formerly Geek2.

Offline Bulk

• Regular Poster
  • hey hey hey!
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
dunno if we can write our own riddles or not
but here we go:

you are in jail, infront of you are two doors, one leeds to freedom the other leads to death
each door is guarded by a man, one man ALWAYS lies and the other ALWAYS tells the truth
but you don't know which one
you are given ONE question to give to ONE of the men

what is the only question you can ask to assure you will know which is the door to safety?
TY MiG for the Siggeh xD
Bit harsh tbh, thought i was at least nice sometimes :P

Offline OÐî ñ

• Junior Poster
  • this is U
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »
<.< all u have to ask is which way does the other goblin say to go

but its my turn anyway :P

let me see if I can remember this one...
This is a most unusual paragraph. How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so ordinary you would think nothing was wrong with it and in fact, nothing is wrong with it. It is unusual though. Why? Study it, think about it, and you may find out. Try to do it without coaching. If you work at it for a bit it will dawn on you. So jump to it and try your skill at figuring it out. Good luck and don't blow your cool!

Offline Kane

• Newbie Poster
  • "Learn form the best, PWN the rest!"
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 05:56:28 PM »
theres no letter E in it at all
that or there is a lot of letter Us in it

Thanks for the sig Bowler!!! Thats accualy me in real life  (my job SUXX)

all  bfm_Arya's

\____|\______________/        the bunnies
           _||||    _||||
          (___|   (____|
(Marty's Turtle);)

Offline OÐî ñ

• Junior Poster
  • this is U
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 08:50:39 PM »
yea u got it! there is no letter "e" in that whole paragraph. (letter "e" is most used letter in the alphabet which is not used at all in the paragraph :P)

Offline Kane

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 09:10:50 AM »
Hmmm. ok hers a little 5 min mistery sorta thing

Back in the 1800s a man was running from the law. He had seemed to loose them. Then, He found an Mountain man in his cabin near a lake. He stashed his horse and asked the mountain man to hide him so he cut him a 6 foot hallow bamboo pole and told him to hide in the lake ( using the bamboo to breath). So the law men came by and after a hefty scan of teh property AND THE LAKE let him be. So they ran on by. So the mountain man came to fech the guy outof teh lake. When he did he was dead.

Why?

all  bfm_Arya's

_||||    _||||
          (___|   (____|
(Marty's Turtle);)

Offline Bulk

• Regular Poster
  • hey hey hey!
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »
the guy was 6 foot under water soo: i would imagine the water pressure that deep would mean he could not expand his lungs enough to create the forces required to pul air through a very thin bamboo that was 6 foot long fast enough to keep him alive while the police did their extensive search?

TY MiG for the Siggeh xD
Bit harsh tbh, thought i was at least nice sometimes :P

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 11:17:40 AM »
The air in the mountains contains less oxygen. -nods- Hence, many people pass out when they climb a mountain too fast. So, if he's running from the law, he's obviously not been anywhere too long (no time to acclimate) and he died from not being able to get enough air? Maybe? xD
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »
i think superman got it

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »

Six feet of any kind of pipe is too long for someone to expel all the carbon dioxide they'd exhale, and it would build up in the tube/pipe/bamboo(reed) and they would suffocate to death from re-breathing their own CO2 instead of O2.

QED
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Kane

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »
YEP U GOT IT!!

The pole was so long that he could push the Carbon Dioxide, so he just kept breathing it in instead of Oxygen and died.

The other ones were very good answers though. Some I wouln'd think of. Definatly some crittical thinking.

In 7th grade English, when we had spare time, we would read these 5 min mysteries and this one is the only one I remember ;D 

ok ur up Mr. Mxysjaidljf;adlj what ever
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 03:09:07 PM by Kane »

all  bfm_Arya's

_||||    _||||
          (___|   (____|
(Marty's Turtle);)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 03:29:47 PM »

'Sounds more like an old Encyclopedia Brown to me....  ;D

You really don't mean for us to post Lateral Thinking Puzzles, do you?

The back-and-forth with the questions would get tedious real fast! (That or I'd just be a race to see who knew that one and posted first, which is not mental challenge....  ::) )

K then, a "hard riddle," or a mystery, I guess:

"The Deadly Safe House"

Despite the cold, Officer Alex Morelli was sweating heavily as he stood in the front hall of the dingy safe house, waiting for a superior to show up and take charge of the strangled body on the floor. Morelli himself had been in charge of the body while it was alive and that, of course, was the reason for Morelli's sweat.

For two days, he'd been one of the guards assigned to Jake Fishel, a harmless accountant who'd been unlucky enough to witness a mob hit. The D.A. had begged Fischel to testify and vowed he would be kept safe from the long arm of the Popov crime family. Officer Morelli had stayed with Fischel, working 12-hour shifts and actually growing to like the meek, mousy witness. And now this.

The doorbell startled Morelli and he opened up to admit Captain Cromwell, a whirlwind in a rumpled suit that flapped in the frigid breeze.

Cromwell stared down at the corpse. "Why was he left alone?"

"I got a call from your office," Morelli stammered, pulling out his two-way radio as if it proved something. "I was ordered back to the stationhouse. They said another guard would take over. It was half an hour before I got wise and got back here."

"Just because it came on the right frequency, you didn't think to question it? The Popovs have connections, you idiot. They own people." The captain sighed. "Who all had keys?"

"I had the only set. I told Fischel not to open up for anyone. When I closed the door, it locked behind me, then I heard him throw the deadbolt. You know him, Captain. He wasn't a reckless guy."

Cromwell knelt by the body. "Strangled from behind. Probably a wire. Who would Fischel open the door for? Who knew he was here? It's time we got answers."

The captain grabbed his overcoat from a hook and led the way to his car. Morelli grabbed his own coat and followed.

The first lead came from the safe house's phone records. Just the previous night, the victim had sneaked a call to Luther Dross, his brother-in-law. "My wife's in intensive care," Luther told the officers when they visited him at his locksmith shop across town. "Jake and her were real close. Jake was worried and wanted the latest news about her condition. We talked for maybe five minutes. He knew it was against the rules and he never told me where he was."

The captain pulled a notepad and pen from his coat. "Where were you today around two?"

"Is that the time of death?" Luther asked weakly. "I was installing locks in a new apartment complex on Prospect Road. Some of the workmen must have seen me. I came back here to clean up before going to the hospital. Can I go now?"

Officer Morelli came up with the case's second lead. Four months ago, he remembered using this same safe house to protect Buddy Banks, a mob informer. When the D.A. was trying to convince Fischel to testify, he brought in Buddy to calm the accountant's nerves and tell him how safe protective custody could be. "Buddy knew where the safe house was. He had mob connections. And Fischel knew him, so he might have opened the door."

Banks had moved 20 miles away and changed his name. Cromwell and Morelli tracked him down to a phone company where he worked as a directory assistance operator. Cromwell showed his badge and had the former informer sent out on a break. He told him the news.

"Wow," Banks said and looked sick to his stomach. "I feel terrible. If I hadn't talked him into testifying, he'd still be alive."

"Did Fischel make contact with you?"

"No, I swear. I only saw him that once in the D.A.'s office. And I had no way of knowing they'd send him to that safe house."

"You could have found out."

"Look, I've cut my ties to that whole world. I work 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day, and I'm straight as an arrow."

Cromwell and Morelli drove the 20 miles back to the city, turning everything over in their minds. "The killer always makes a mistake," the captain mumbled.

"Yes," Morelli agreed.

They both stayed silent for the rest of the drive.

Who killed Jake Fischel?  What is your evidence?
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 03:59:57 PM »
I don't know if I'm right, but I hope you try to figure it out first... Highlight below for my guess.

It was Captain Cromwell. He came in in just a rumpled suit, but grabbed his coat on the way out. He must have been there before (like when he was killing that guy!) and forgot it.

I feel like a detective! :P  That was fun.

Print