Print 

Author Topic: The "Famous people you've probably never heard of but should have" thread  (Read 69205 times)

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
Re: The "Famous people you've probably never heard of but should have" thread
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2010, 06:40:30 PM »
Well, static friction is always stronger than kinetic and woot for inertia!
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2010, 03:01:06 AM »

Didn't he also invent the tractor?

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2010, 03:02:33 AM »
didn't who?
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2010, 03:05:24 AM »
John Dee

Whoosh!

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2010, 03:06:25 AM »
No. No he didn't.
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2010, 07:11:20 AM »
Grigori Perelman is the Russian mathematician who recently solved one of the most famous unsolved problems in maths: the Poincare Conjecture - which concerns four-dimensional spheres if you want to know. What makes this all the more special is that the Poincare conjecture was a "million-dollar" problem, as well as deserving of a Fields Medal (the Nobel Prize equivalent in maths). But Perelman has turned down both the medal and the prize, and instead has withdrawn from public mathematical life almost entirely.

I include Perelman, then, not only for his fantastic achievements but also for his even more astounding humility.

Offline Bradc00

• Newbie Poster
    • reviewamover.com
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2010, 08:29:16 AM »
John Dee Tractor LOL  ^^!

Offline Joel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2011, 08:50:37 AM »
Yeah, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek. As far as I could make out, at the time only the USA did medal tables by total number overall rather than by gold medals, then silver, then gold, putting the US first. Probably not by coincidence.

The united states has done that ever since i have started watching the Olympics we didn't do it just so we could say that we were first. I hope you weren't insinuating that :toughguy: but i just wanted to make that clear. (plus we set a world record for most gold metals won by one person so hey thats worth some props  :))

BFM_Enoch: "Joel the Jaguar the juggles jets"

Thanks to -Lostmymind-

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2011, 10:52:11 AM »
Yeah, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek. As far as I could make out, at the time only the USA did medal tables by total number overall rather than by gold medals, then silver, then gold, putting the US first. Probably not by coincidence.

The united states has done that ever since i have started watching the Olympics we didn't do it just so we could say that we were first. I hope you weren't insinuating that :toughguy: but i just wanted to make that clear. (plus we set a world record for most gold metals won by one person so hey thats worth some props  :))

Lots of brilliant sportspeople in the US, of course. I am, as it happens, insinuating that, but on the other hand the US have a right to be smug about their sport.

Offline Joel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »
i'm just saying in past years when the us got more golds then all other countries we still used the system and i believe a few years ago got second because of that so Americans (including my self) are not smug about our sport our way of counting medals has its ups and downs just like your way of counting, :)

BFM_Enoch: "Joel the Jaguar the juggles jets"

Thanks to -Lostmymind-

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
Thomas Edison invented more than just the lightbulb. Anyone else know what else he invented? I'm guessing most of you would see one at least once a week.

Edison was worthless and just made a bunch of people do his work for him

Sorry for necroquote, but I couldn't leave this un-responded.  Also, this thread deserves a bump!

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
When do we know something for certain? Often most people don't care particularly, and to be honest that doesn't often matter because in real life common sense is usually good enough to get you through the day.

Sadly in the technical you can't just wave your hands, and the importance of being able to proof something beyond any doubt whatsoever is vital. This is why philosophers who look to be wasting their time arguing over where they even exist actually aren't. Behind the inane rubbish a lot of them spout is a huge amount of work on defining what can and cannot be known, and how to go about proving things. This is what logic is all about.

Sadly for the man in the street, a lot of this is written in arcane language and symbols that just look like nonsense. Take this for example:

Which is of course completely clear so I won't need to explain it.

Anyway, the point of all this is that once again, you need the language of mathematics to express a complicated argument.

So who is the famous person discussed this week? Well, it is all about proof actually and not surprisingly the same person who wrote that lot of meaningless drivel I just showed you. His name is Kurt Gödel and he was one of the pioneers of mathematical logic and set theory as a basis for philosophy. The picture above is in fact a "proof" that if it is possible that some god-like thing exists, then that thing must exist (in fact Ax. 3 is a bit suspect so this is still argued over).

His mathematical forays into theology aside, Gödel also said, more profoundly, that there are limits to what we can prove! His "Incompleteness Theorem" tells is that it doesn't matter what we start with, we cannot prove everything about numbers, and if we can prove everything then at least one of the things we've proved is wrong. That's seriously weird.

In case you don't quite follow what I've just said, here's a nice example: The English Language. Here we assume that everything we say has a meaning that we can understand. Take, however, the following sentence:

This sentence is false.

That sentence in fact has no meaning whatever, yet it's English. It's also terribly confusing. But the point is that in English we can say things that can't be made sense of. Rather like the whole of this post in fact.

The incompleteness theorems are very important for mathematicians, even if not to the rest of us. But Gödel is a name worth remembering.

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
Hmm, my last post was confusing even to me. Never mind.

Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace, is one of those people who show that actually the upper class isn't as lazy as people always assume. The daughter of the famous poet Lord Byron, she spent her childhood switching between illness and taking a keen interest in learning - sometimes both at the same time. As a result, she became the sort of person we need more of - a rich person who knows what they're spending their money on.

Anyway, by the age of 18 she was in the company of some of the giants of the time - Charles Dickens, Michael Faraday, Augustus de Morgan (who set out modern algebra as we use it today). And because of her connections she met Charles Babbage, who had an idea for an analytical engine. Since Ada Lovelace actually could do maths, she understood Babbage's work and even helped write some of the programs for it.

In fact this analytical engine, though it would have been mechanical, would have been essentially the world's first computer. Sadly it was never completed but modern reconstructions suggest that Babbage was on to a winner.

There are very few female mathematicians or scientists of note. Ada Lovelace is one of them. Her pioneering work on the computer laid the foundations for, well, what I'm using to type this.

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
Now when I think of Lovelace I won't think of Robin Williams' voice over for a fat penguin with a six pack can holder thingy around it's neck.

Okay, I probably will... but then I'll think of Ada. xD

Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
Jean Henri Dunant is - or rather ought to be - famous today, because he goes down in history as being the first (joint) recipient of the Nobel Prize for Peace. Initially a businessman in Switzerland, he witnessed the horrifying aftermath of a  battle and almost then and there decided to do something about it. And so became the International Committee of the Red Cross in 1863 and, shortly afterward, the Geneva Convention. These help people around the world who are suffering through violence in War, and the Geneva convention (though it has since been expanded) enshrines the rights in International law of all those who are wounded or captured.

All thanks to one man.

Print