Print 

Author Topic: Music You Should Listen To Before You...Leave.  (Read 21839 times)

Offline Marty

• Posts Too Much
  • A tip o't hat to you!
Re: Music You Should Listen To Before You...Leave.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 09:12:19 AM »
Thread revival!

More Jazz:

Modal Jazz:
if you read what I wrote about Bebop three posts back, you'll know it's frantic, fast and crazy. Modal was the reaction to it: from going to the extreme in fast, complex music, Modal Jazz brings it right back. It's simple, slow and leaves much more 'space' than bebop.

Miles Davis: In particular, the album Kind of Blue and the track So What. 'So What' is the apex of Modal jazz: it has just two chords, each lasting for eight bars. Beautiful tune, with fantastic solos.

Modern Jazz: quite another form of acquired taste, more similar to Bebop than anything else. "Modern Jazz" is a very broad term, covering everything from "Free Jazz" to "Swing Revival", really, so it's hard to pcik out key tracks here, so I'll stick with key artists.

Pat Metheny: A brilliant guitarist who has done many solo albums and collaborations with the likes of Joni Michell. Worth checking out.

Michael Brecker: An inspired tenor saxophonist who also plays the E.W.I. (Electronic Wind Instrument) which sounds crazy and brilliant - it's a synthetic saxophone which you can do any amount of weird and wonderful things with.

Swing:

Paul Anka:
Specifically, I was thinking of his album Rock Swings which features various Swing covers of Rock/Grunge songs - including It's My Life (Bon Jovi), Wonderwall (Oasis) and Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana). Very funny and brilliant music too.

Click on the Europe sig to get the link and image code.

Applied for BFM: 28th August 2008
Received Ventrilo: 27th October 2008
Received Little Tags (bfm_): 25th December 2008
Received Big Tags (BFM_): 24th March 2009
Received Corporal Rank: 1st September 2009
Stepped Down From Corporal: 16th March 2010
Nothing happened: 15th July 2012

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

For a US or UK flag, go to >>THIS THREAD<< and quote the whole code. Quote, not copy.

Offline Drift

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 03:37:17 PM »
Good suggestions everyone! I suggest anything by james taylor.
 jim croce's-you don't mess around with Jim,
 The weight and the night they drove old dixie down, by the Band.
Brandy-looking glass,
Gustav holst's The planets-be prepared to give up over an hour listening to these beautiful pieces-  . 
Wynton Marsalis.
The Flobots have some nice progressive music along with an amazing trumpet and string section(not sure what strings they have with them).
If you aren't extremely opposed to hip-hop and all the language that comes with it over- by Drake is good.I love the beginning and the end.
I really enjoy Miles Davis -Human Nature . I wouldnt mind  having the music for it. I would love to learn it for trumpet .
 ANYTHING AT ALL BY MICHAEL BUBLE IS GOOD! Fellin' Good is a great song with a fantastic big band/swing feel to it.
 Ghost train -Eric whitacre     if performed by my high school's wind symphony or a professional band is great.
Lassus Trombone-Henry fillmore  is an extremely fun piece to listen to.
American Barndance-Richard Saucedo  My favorite piece to play.

BILLY JOEL!!!!!!   listen and be amazed. "scenes from an Italian Restaurant" , "good Night saigon", "and so it goes" are just a few great songs by him.

I guess thats it for now. I'll post more when I think of them.
Applied to BFM 5-8-2010

<= thanks MrT :D    

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »
Rock:

Eric Clapton - anything by this guy. He was in Cream, Derek and the Dominoes (hint: Layla) and tours solo. Amazing blues-rock guitarist who knows you don't need to play fast to play well.

Jimi Hendrix - similar. Anything by The Jimi Hendrix Experience is worth listening to - if only to find what didn't work. Purple Haze, Little Wing, Angel, Hey Joe, Voodoo Chile, Highway Chile, Red House, Crosstown Traffic (featuring Hendrix on the Kazoo) - all great tracks.

Dire Straits: some brilliant songs, some rubbish. One track that springs to mind for brilliant is Sultans of Swing.

Very nice listing. (I omitted Muse - I know a fair few people who hate them and they're major rock lovers. I like them, personally, but I find that it's kinda 50/50. I'd call them their own subgenre, personally)

Imma throw in some songs. I find them to be staples of my musical diet, but then again that might be personal opinion.

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
  - - It's got quite the Christian message to it, but I know a couple of anti-Christians who love the song, so that kinda tells you something about how good it is.
Ronnie James Dio - Holy Diver
  - - Dio's stuff might be under the radar, but he was one of the best voices in Metal (until stomach cancer had it's victory, RIP Ronnie). And he's got quite a career record - Rainbow,           Elf, he was even with Black Sabbath for a bit.
Black Sabbath - Iron Man
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
  - - It's...Ozzy. Come on. Do I really NEED to explain this?  EVERYONE loves Ozzy.
Metallica - Enter Sandman
  - - Quite possibly one of their greatest hits. Starts out kinda calm, then starts building noise up until KABOOM!
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
  - - Led Zeppelin's best selling song. BEST. SELLING. Fun fact: They spent a long time trying to figure out what this song was about, then the guy who wrote it spilled the beans - it             wasn't about anything at all. Dude was making it up on the spot.
Eagles - Hotel California
  - - Calm. Deep. Moving. Makes me think of LA. Which is good, because it was about the dark side of SoCal lights, fame, etc.
Nightwish - Ever Dream
  - - I SWEAR THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST SONGS EVER WRITTEN. It runs freakin' chills down my spine, and not many songs do that. It's both happy and unhappy at the same time,          somehow. It's...AMAZING.

I probably have more. I can't think of them.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline Infërnö

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 12:13:02 PM »
ok, the only song i can think of that anyone would need to listen to cos it is a classic sort of rock song in my opinion:

House of the Rising Sun - The Animals

is the only song that i could possibly say that hasnt already been said...

maybe :  Sweet child o' Mine - Guns N' Roses

it's a taste thing.

Offline Marty

• Posts Too Much
  • A tip o't hat to you!
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Sweet Child...'cos of Axl Rose. I don't think his voice suits that song at all. Slash is great on it, if slightly over-doing the Wah-Wah pedal.

For a US or UK flag, go to >>THIS THREAD<< and quote the whole code. Quote, not copy.

Offline Duck

• Regular Poster
  • Quack
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 12:37:41 PM »
Thank you, Marty! Someone who agrees with me about Muse's new album!

They don't sound like them anymore... :undecided:

Totally agree, they just lost it with their latest album and when they called some of their songs a symphony they'd totally lost me :P

Songs I would add:

Hoppipolla - Sigur Ros

They're a band from Iceland and the guys voice is amazing. (I think it's been used on the BBC a lot)

Paganini - 25 Caprices for Violin (If this hasn't already been said. :O just listen to it! :D )
Thanks Rypto!
Thanks to Bîgmäñ!

Offline Marty

• Posts Too Much
  • A tip o't hat to you!
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 04:43:41 AM »
Paganini - 25 Caprices for Violin (If this hasn't already been said. :O just listen to it! :D )

I believe there are only 24 Caprices, but hey. They are very good, and have spawned some good variations themselves - notably the 24th Caprice and its variations by Brahms and Sergei Rachmaninoff, of which the 18th is the most famous and the least recognisable as a variation - largely because it's the exact same melody played backwards.

Offline Duck

• Regular Poster
  • Quack
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 04:55:10 AM »

Paganini - 25 Caprices for Violin

Haha, woopsy, typo! :LOL:
Thanks Rypto!
Thanks to Bîgmäñ!

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Sweet Child...'cos of Axl Rose. I don't think his voice suits that song at all. Slash is great on it, if slightly over-doing the Wah-Wah pedal.

I know a fair few people who hate Axl's voice in general.

I personally think he's a great singer, even if he is a bit of a jerk off-stage.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline Bob Marley

• Senior Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 05:04:58 PM »
Primus

CKY

Offline BFM_Elkric

• BFM Admin
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 09:58:58 AM »
Thank you a lot for starting this kind of thread Marty! I don't know much about Jazz, or singers, so those suggestions are greatly appreciated. And thanks for the other suggestions everyone. :)

-Altan. They are an Irish folk and traditional music group. I discovered a song by theirs a couple of years ago, but it wasn't until recently I started to go through their music. I've only listened to two album so far which is "The Blue Idol" and "The Best of Altan: The Songs", and then some other songs from other albums. The song "Daily Growing" is one of my favorites.

-Sofie Reed. A singer from Sweden who lives in the USA. The only album I've heard of is "Baby Boo Got Gone". Great songs. "Owl" is a personal favorite.

That is two suggestions. I recommend you to check them out.

Offline BFM_Elkric

• BFM Admin
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »
I recently discovered a Jazz artist called Grant Green. I do not know how well know or famous he is.. But he sure got some amazing songs.

Some of my favorite songs: 'Round About Midnight, Sookie Sookie, Cantaloupe Woman and Reaching Out.

'Round About Midnight really is a song you should listen to before you... Leave.

Offline Archer

• Posts Too Much
  • Rock Trollin'
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 01:50:10 PM »
I have to compliment Marty on the jazz selections.  Everyone should listen to a little real jazz....as opposed to "smooth jazz" or "lite jazz".

And not meaning to be overly or overtly provincial, but an American that doesn't know anything about jazz is missing out on a huge chunk of our country's history.  This is an artform that we invented and yet it is an artform that we routinely ignore.

In addition to Miles Davis (Kind of Blue is fabulous), you might also check out Dave Brubeck's "Time Out". 

Also, anyone that has ever watched any of the animated "Charlie Brown" specials will already be familiar with jazz pianist Vince Guarladi.  The sound track to "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is fantastic.  I listen to it year 'round.  There is also a "Best of" album that is great if you don't want to have to buy a lot of albums.

If you have access to the Ovation cable channel, you will be able to see all sorts of shows about American jazz history including artists [many that Marty already mentioned] and labels [specifically Blue Note].

On more of a rock note, I'd suggest a sampling of Rush, Yes, and The Oneders.

Regards,
Archer
Regards,
Archer

Thanks to Track King for the sig!!

Thanks to BFM_Skedog for the trophy!

Offline Marty

• Posts Too Much
  • A tip o't hat to you!
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 05:37:11 AM »
Everyone should listen to a little real jazz....as opposed to "smooth jazz" or "lite jazz".

Couldn't agree more, Archer! Smooth jazz and 'easy listening' are all well and good, but you're missing out almost all of the jazz from 1940 onwards.

Incidentally, here's a little bit of Jazz History for you. The cut-off where most people stop liking jazz made after that date is 1942. Before then, you had swing and the 'crooners' (e.g. Frank Sinatra); after it you had bebop - a totally different art form.

In the eyes of many jazz musicians in the late '30s and early '40s, jazz had grown stale. It had started out in New Orleans jazz as an almost completely improvised music form: no parts were written down other than the tune and the names of the chords played beneath. As it moved into the Big Band sound, it becomes a LOT harder for everyone to improvise - it can work when you're playing with ten good musicians, but past that - and many big bands had more than thirty musicians - they tend to work against each other unless the parts are written out, with maybe the odd solo - and even that would probably still be written out beforehand. When big bands evolved into the crooner stage, solos and improvising were effectively dead - all focus was on the singer. The creativity of jazz was gone.

At this point, certain musicians in New York (foremost amongst them Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie) started working on a way to put jazz firmly back in the hands of the virtuoso musicians, rather than the predictable singing it had become. They studied advanced classical harmony - notably the works of Stravinsky - and began making jazz more complicated and difficult to play, thereby forcing 'jazz musicians' to become synonymous with 'virtuoso musicians'. As the harmony became more complex, the size of the bands dropped from thirty to between three and seven (four or five was probably the most common number of musicians - a drummer, double bassist, pianist and one or two front-line instruments). Tunes became faster - sometimes rocketing from the swing average of 120 beats per minute to 300 beats per minute (5 beats per second). Instead of the verse-chorus-verse structure that the crooners favoured (and later developed into all the other forms of popular music today, including metal, dance, pop and funk), they played the tune once or twice and then launched into solos - fast, furious and complicated solos. Bebop was born.

The thing was, bebop took about two years to develop - from 1942-44. Coincidentally, the Musicians' Union called a strike over royalty payments so that no recordings were made in the years 1942-44. This meant no-one but the people who made it got to hear bebop evolve - before the ban, they heard swing; after they heard bebop. Without the ban, more people would understand where bebop came from, and therefore maybe more people would appreciate it.

Such is life.

Offline OBOLeader

• Regular Poster
  • Established thread killer
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 02:44:31 AM »
Time to add some rock and metal to the mix  ;D :winkgrin:

Avenged Sevenfolds A little Peice of hevan is worth a good long listen..
Disturbeds Down with the sickness is really good, ablit a little.... crazy
Reds Breathe into me... really great song
Van Halens panama is one of my favorites
Ac/Dc Back in black, enough saif
Ozzy Osbourne too many great songs by him, but look at his prince of darkness album
And finally.... metallica... enter sandman.. SO BEAST
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/NewTooru/
Discord: Tooru#1375
Battle Net: Tooru#11787

Print