Print 

Author Topic: CD Drives  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
CD Drives
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »
So after trying to run cd's last week, i found out that my CD/DVD drive had kicked the bucket. Seeing as it is now dead, i am looking for a new cd/dvd drive, preferable it can read and write. I have never purchased a dvd/cd drive b4 and was wondering what you guys would recommend. I have been looking on newegg but as i said i really dont know what to look for, quality and reliability wise. Im kind of afraid to purchase off of newegg, even though all my parts i have order off there, have never came in DOA, but i guess im more afraid that if its DOA then the cost to send it back would be more then its worth i guess.

Prices dont really matter. anywhere between $20-50 would be great. Not really a fan of BestBuy. but open to suggestions. I do have sata cables so an OEM would be alright. Thanks guys
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: CD Drives
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »

I'd suggest Fry's Electronics, but the closest one to you is in Indiana....

Best Buy is usually okay (I've never used Amazon), but I'll suggest a few things to give you an idea of what you're looking for, wherever you can find them:

I'll assume that you're looking for an INTERNAL drive....

1) Format Type/Price Range:
Choices: CD(dead technology($0)), DVD(most affordable($20-40), BluRay(top-of-the-line/currently preferred($40-80))

2) Capability:
I'm going to save you the trouble of a lot of techno-babble and guess/suggest that you want "one that works OK,"
as opposed to one that can burn special data types. (FYI: These are rated by their "Sheep Ratings"...)
Choices: Anything DVD or BluRay drive that will fit where the old one was.

3) Brand/Model: Here's where it all gets fuzzy, as there are a gazillion drives out there:
I'll suggest a few brands that I consider to be in good standing, but models are another thing: they can be all over the map: LG, ASUS, Pioneer, and Samsung. Look for models that have ratings background info and narrow in on the four-/five-star models, factoring in your price range.

4) Replacement is very simple: Turn off and unplug your computer power cord, remove the old drive, replace with the new one(duh!), power up computer! (Some might require installation of driver software, so be sure to follow any instructions/media that came with your new drive.)

'Hope this helps!  Happy shopping!
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »
Thanks mxy most appreciated. yeah im not looking for anything special, just something that can read most of my dvd's and write some music cd's. Gonna take a look at best buy tomorrow, and see what they got. not expecting much to be there, as the closest one to me doesn't sell much of computer parts. This will help out a lot, thanks again
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:17:27 AM »
Check your PMs....

Let me know how things work out, k?

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
Re: CD Drives/GFX card
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »
much thanks mxy. cheap and i dont have to go get it :D lol thanks again. And if you dont mind me asking here, but im looking for a new gfx card, since mine is a bit dated.

i got 2 in mind.

ASUS GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
and
GIGABYTE GV-N75TOC-2GI G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

Both are same price, but which one would be a better choice, or do you recommend something else. I dont have a PCI-E 3.0x16 slot but i read that they work in 2.0 x16 slots which i do have. price limit is set for $175

What i plan on doing is streaming, and recording games. My current card, like i said is dated and cant handle streaming at all, and it records best when games are set on low graphics.

any info and help would be great
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »

Well here's the kink in that plan: A great graphics card is only as good as your motherboard's bus throughput. It's a classic mistake more people make than you think. Balance is the key.

Lemme know your mobo make and model and I can offer up some advice for graphics cards.

P.S. While you're at it, let me know what card you're using now, k? Let's see how well your existing rig is matched....

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
Okay, this got easy real fast:

Your ASUS mobo supports the AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology. This wildly over-the-top graphics capability enables FOUR graphics cards (in a 2x Dual GPU configuration, thereby seeming to be two, doubly-fast GPUs) in mobos that have the hardware that have said muti-multi-graphics cards.

Talk about overkill!  ::)

(Un?)fortunately your mobo only supports one "slot"/graphics card. (So don't get all excited about any big upgrades too much.)

Your mobo has the following available slots for graphics/bus-based devices/etc. use:

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue) <-- the one, true, fully-capable bus throughput
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)  <-- can be used with some boards, but crippled throughput
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1  <-- useless for graphics
2 x PCI  <-- useless for graphics

Hence you can get any ONE graphics card (that is supported by PCIe 2.0 @ x16) of your liking and all will be fine.

My suggestion: I'm PMing you two links from Tom's Hardware site that should help you find the best-bang-for-your-buck and as up-to-date, and price-range-sane graphics device as possible. Note: You can trust their ratings, absolutely, and they often have deals listed right in their listings....

Happy Hunting!

Print