Print 

Author Topic: Racing 2020  (Read 9273 times)

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
Racing 2020
« on: January 05, 2020, 09:31:28 PM »
For the new year, I decided to post a weekly summary of our Saturday night racing sessions. The idea is to give everyone an idea what is happening and to give us a chance to recognize some people's outstanding play. I took some notes so that I can provide some details. I hope that anyone who participates will feel free to chime in with things that might be interesting that I may have missed.

Our most recent session on January 4th saw the server filling up just after 9:30 p.m. Eastern. Between then and when I stopped racing at about 11:45, the server was full more than half the time, and almost always had at least 9-10 racers. It was a very experienced group and so the quality of play was outstanding. I counted four times that the map ended 15-14 and there were some other very close finishes.

With the server full or nearly full most of the time, getting 4 laps became an accomplishment and usually made the difference in the map. My notes show 8 times that only 1 person got 4 laps on a map and in all cases it was that player's team that won. This was accomplished by Invert, Shootist, Navy, Raeywen, Whipreck twice and me twice. I also had a 0 lap map on Blood Gulch and took some ribbing for that....

Some outstanding gunning performances included: Navy with 15 kills on Danger Canyon and later with 14 on Geph, Bob Marley with 23 kills on Danger Canyon, Whipreck with 11 kills on Death Island and Boredom with 10 kills on Ice Fields.

A good time was had by all, I think. We hope to see a full server again for a few hours this coming Saturday.

Offline BFM_Fuzzy

• Major
Re: Racing 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 03:14:50 PM »
I like this. Look forward to future updates. :)

Offline Bob Marley

• Senior Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 11:09:24 PM »
I like it, ill be a weekly reader  :)

Also I will be increasing that number on DC sooner than later.

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 09:38:51 PM »
The second Saturday of the year was not quite as well attended as the first one. But we still had 8-10 racers most of the time and a full server off and on for a while.

During two of the full server maps, we had 4-lap performances by Navy on Geph and Kiwi on Blood Gulch to lead their team to wins. That was followed by Macair having 2 kills on Timberland, which was noteworthy because they were the only kills anyone had on a fast running of that map.

Notable gunning performances included Whipreck with 15 kills on Geph, Navy with 12 on Danger Canyon and Boredom with 12 on Ice Fields. I missed a lot of the racing in the middle of the session and so I am sure there were many more.

It was another night of really good racing. We hope to see a lot of people again next week.

Offline BFM_Boredom

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 06:48:30 PM »
You gotta give yourself some credit too, Mr. Do. You would've had up to 30 kills if we didn't get tripped up during the end of that late run a couple Saturdays ago.

Keep up with the reports. Our forums need a revival of sorts too.
[img

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 07:41:41 AM »
The third Saturday of the year was much like the second one, with the server having 9-12 racers for a few hours and a lot of good racing taking place. In the first map I saw, Bob Marley racked up 5 laps and 15 kills in 4v4 action on Danger Canyon. (Macair actually led in kills on that map with 19.) Bob followed that up a couple maps later with 5 laps and 0 deaths in 5v5 action on Death Island. Style had a couple 4-lap maps at about that same time and a third one a few maps later.

Boredom had one of the best gunning performances of the night with 19 kills and only 1 death on Geph. He must like that map because later he had a 4-lap, 10-kill performance on it. Style had 4 laps and 8 kills on that same later running of Geph while Navy had 3 laps and 10 kills, and Invert had 4 assists.

Other notable gunning performances were Navy with 12 kills on Geph, Whipreck with 13 on Blood Gulch, Macair with 13 on Danger Canyon, Cuda with 11 on Sidewinder and in the last map of the night that I saw, Invert and Kozmo had 10 kills each on Blood Gulch.

Boredom, it is funny that you picked this week to say that I should call out my own successes some, because I had a bad week. I think I had 10 kills once.... I hope to do better next week and to see the server fill up a lot when Saturday night rolls around.

Offline Bob Marley

• Senior Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 07:46:02 PM »
Great week, love when so many racers put numbers up

:dance:

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 10:06:35 PM »
The fourth Saturday of the year saw a lot of great competition. At one point, there were three straight 15-14 maps, and a couple more at other times.

Invert was hot on the guns. It wasn't so much about big numbers as it was making some tough shots and key ones that helped his team win. On one running of Danger Canyon, he had 12 kills on the first lap to totally disrupt the other team and then drove the rest of the time and finished with 13. Style led that map with 14 kills and Kiwi posted a 430-second lap time that he seemed proud of....

On a different running of Danger Canyon, Macair had 20 kills and Bob Marley had 17. They were teammates and so that was not one of the maps with the close finishes. Bob also had a 5-lap map during 4v4 play and a 13-kill running of Geph.

Screech had 4 laps and 0 deaths on Death Island and then followed that immediately with 4 laps and only 2 deaths on Sidewinder, leading his team to close wins of both. Kozmo posted 4 laps on Geph in one of the 15-14 wins and Kiwi also had 4 on that map on the other team.

Other than on Danger Canyon, most of the top gunners for each map stayed in single digits as play was well balanced. These included Mil with 9 kills on Ice Fields and later with 8 on Sidewinder, Screech with 8 on Blood Gulch and Style with 9 on Geph.

I hope that others feel free to chime in with things they notice. See you on the tracks next week.

Offline BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 11:32:59 AM »
First Danger Canyon we played was as close as one could possibly imagine. Score was 14-14, blue team was inches away from the ramp making their way to win the map but here comes a hog flying from the skies to steal the map hehe (driving the tunnels is rough!). Very fun overall!

Offline BFM_Boredom

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 12:07:14 AM »
Too competitive.  :toot:
[img

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 06:40:35 AM »
The fifth Saturday of the year was well attended and highly competitive, but only for about an hour and a half. During that time, there were four 15-14 finishes. During one of those, on Ice Fields, four racers finished with 6 kills each and six had 3 laps.

But there were some lopsided maps, also. On one running of Geph, Invert racked up 4 laps and 19 kills and there was nothing dramatic about that finish. He gave credit to his driver, Style.

Shootist put up 4 laps and 14 kills on Sidewinder. It was my first full map of the night and I swear half his kills were of me. He also had 10 kills the next time we played Sidewinder.

We had a surprisingly peaceful run of Danger Canyon where Bantarius led with 12 kills and no one else had more than 7. But then a couple maps later we had a bloodbath on Death Island where Bantarius and Invert had 10 kills each and a few others had 8 or 9.

Other notable performances were Whipreck with 3 laps and 9 kills on Geph, Screech with 13 kills on Blood Gulch, Bantarius with 17 kills on Danger Canyon and me with 5 laps on Timberland.

There were a lot of times people had to wait to get a spot in the server between 10:00 and 11:00 Eastern. So for anyone who wants to play next week, it is a good idea to show up before that.

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »
Week 6 showed that I was wrong about needing to show up early. There was plenty of room in the server until almost 10:30 Eastern but then we were full for almost two hours.

Before the server filled up, Whipreck made a couple of really nice cross-map shots on Timberland. He hit my hog as we were crossing the creek at one end and I still don't know where that rocket came from. He also continued to race well when the server did fill up, including putting up 4 laps and 8 kills on Geph and a couple maps later getting 4 laps and 12 kills on Danger Canyon. Bob Marley also matched his numbers on DC and Style had 4 laps.

Screech had 4 laps six times on the night while I was there. I have heard teammates express frustration with Screech not stopping to pick them up. But most of those maps were wins for his team and so maybe the tactic works more than we think...?

The best gunning performance of the night was Style racking up 17 kills on Blood Gulch to help his team to a lopsided win. I had a front-row seat to that and saw some really good shots along the way. He also had 13 kills on Ice Fields in the only 15-14 map of the night.

Other notable gunning performances were Bob Marley with 10 kills on Geph and 11 on Blood Gulch, Shootist with 10 kills on Sidewinder, Macair with 11 kills on Danger Canyon, Boredom with 12 kills on Sidewinder and Invert and Whipreck with 9 kills each on Ice Fields. We also had 4-lap performances by Mayo on Death Island and Bob Marley on Sidewinder. Bob also had 4 assists on Death Island.

There weren't as many super-close maps as in past weeks, but the racing was just as competitive, with neither team reeling off several wins in a row. After a late start, it was a great night of racing.

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 04:30:33 PM »
Really appreciate these after action reports Mr. Do! Always happy to see acknowledgements go out to players for good performances. Not that everyone didn't already know that about me... >.>

Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 07:39:43 AM »
Week 7 of 2020 had the server fill up early but then usually was full only occasionally after that. The racing was very competitive again.

Cuda put up 4 laps and 10 kills to lead his team to a 15-14 win on Danger Canyon in the first map when the server filled up. He followed that with 11 kills on the next map, Ice Fields, and then a few maps later on Geph drove for a 4-lap 0-death map while his gunner, Boredom, racked up 4 laps and 16 kills. I would say that was the most dominant performance of the night except that the next time Geph rolled around Boredom posted 11 kills while his teammate, Navy, had 12 and that also was a lopsided finish.

I had 6 assists while chain gunning on Blood Gulch. I really wanted to go for double digits, but my driver got himself killed and I had to drive myself around for about 1 1/2 laps.

Other performances that were more notable than that included Bob Marley with 10 kills on Sidewinder, Boredom with 14 kills on Blood Gulch, Invert with 10 kills on Danger Canyon, Whipreck with 4 laps and 11 kills on Ice Fields with Screech getting 4 laps as his driver, Bob Marley with 4 laps and 13 kills on Blood Gulch, Bloodbath with 13 kills on that same running of Blood Gulch, 1hitkillr with 4 laps on a 15-14 running of Timberland, and Terminator had 5 laps in 4v4 action on Death Island near the end of the night.

As always, we hope to see a lot of people show up next Saturday.

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 08:37:19 AM »
Week 8 was fun. If you weren't there, you should have been.... I guess I can say that pretty much every week.

We have had some racers mess with their names and that makes it a challenge to write a report like this. This week we had a lot of good maps by 1hitkillr. But who is that? If it is a new racer who appeared on the scene just a few weeks ago then he or she learned racing in record time. On this night, 1hitkillr had 11 kills on Sidewinder followed immediately by a 4-lap Geph and a little while later 4 laps on Danger Canyon, 10 kills on Ice Fields, 20 kills on Danger Canyon and 12 kills on Ice Fields. We never saw Invert or Navy and so maybe it was one of them...? I encourage people to race under the names we all know them by. Whoever it was had a really good night.

DBoy91 also had a good night with 3 laps and 10 kills on Sidewinder, 3 and 16 on Danger Canyon and 4 laps on Geph, all of those in wins for his team.

I counted six maps that finished either 15-14 or 15-13, including a photo finish on Timberland where one racer ran into a rock at the end and was passed by an opponent for the winning lap. We also had some pretty lopsided maps, such as a 15-2 drubbing on Death Island.

Screech had 4 laps four times after the server got full and had 10 kills once. Whipreck got 4 laps twice and 10 kills once. Macair had 10 or 11 kills four times on the night. Boredom had a nice 3-lap, 10-kill Blood Gulch in one of the 15-14 wins in the last map that I saw.

I look forward to seeing everyone on Leap Day.

Print