Print 

Author Topic: Corona Virus: How is it affecting you?  (Read 4137 times)

Offline BFM_Fuzzy

• Major
Corona Virus: How is it affecting you?
« on: March 15, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »
By now everyone knows what the Corona virus is. And many people have an opinion about the response that should be taken for it. In the spirit of avoiding politics, I want to avoid that aspect with this thread, and instead focus on how it's affecting us personally. How it's impacting your work or school hours, investments, travel plans, etc.

For my own part, Corona isn't even much of an inconvenience. I write western novels, and complete all of my work online. Our household (consisting of myself and my two brothers, who also work online) do much of our shopping over the internet, so shortages and wait lines haven't been a problem for us. Almost all of our out-of-house activity is elective, and the one dance hall that I frequent hasn't shut down. Naturally I'm modestly concerned about getting sick. But being a healthy, 25 year old guy, I don't think it would be anything to worry about.

There was a gun show I wanted to go to this weekend that got canceled, so that's a bit of a bummer. That, and a once-a-week dance where I hang out with a couple of friends. But otherwise, the impact on me has been slight.

What about y'all?

Offline ĐeviŃ

• Posts Too Much
Re: Corona Virus: How is it affecting you?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 11:31:45 AM »
I work at a call center, so chances of myself getting sick are probably pretty high. We have I believe over 20 confirmed cases in our state, however, I'm doing everything I can to just live a normal life. Toilet paper stocks are extremely low in my area, but I have enough that I should be ok until a restock.

The company that I work for is in the top Fortune 100, so we've got plans in place, however, with me being an IT technician, it is up to me to make sure that a lot of our accommodations are met. We are doing a test to make sure that, if need be, anyone who gets sick at our center can work from home without worry of spreading the virus.

My immune system is usually pretty good, so if I do get it, I expect it to be mild at worst, which is the case for other sicknesses that I manage to catch from touching dirty keyboards.

My fiance is at home on an extended medical leave, but her conditions wouldn't leave her too bad, other than the fact that her immune system is garbage. My hope is that I can avoid spreading it to her if I do catch it, but that may be difficult.

Overall, business as usual for me.
Selling FREE PWNkakes™
Former BFM_Devist8 (long ago) and bfm_ĐeviŃ

Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?

Offline BFM_Mr Do

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 05:35:19 AM »
I work for a school system and this is the first of three weeks during which school is canceled in my state. So for most people, this is one big Coronacation. But I work in I.T. and of course everyone is relying on technology to keep business moving. So I am one of the "essential" staff members who needs to keep working.

Most of it is working from home, though, with just one day a week in the office as part of a rotation to keep it covered for the little bit of in-person help that people might need. I also want to schedule some work on the networks at some of our schools because I have things to do that will bring down the network for a while and we can't do that during a normal school day. But a lot of those buildings are being super-cleaned and then declared off limits until school reopens, and so I might not even be able to do much of that. We are still working out those details.

I am hoping that all of this proves to be an over-reaction. But I am not making any bold predictions about that. The fact that someone can be spreading the virus for days before they show a single symptom makes this different from previous bugs. So like everyone else, I will be spending a lot of time at home. I also will be doing a lot of outdoor activities and feel pretty confident that it is safe to be out in the open air.

Offline BFM_Fuzzy

• Major
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 02:16:20 PM »
**Note** Feel free to post multiple replies as your situation develops **Note**

Well, the plot thickens for me. My apartment complex has shut down all the 'common areas,' i.e., the gym, community room, leasing office, etc. All leasing and communication is now taking place online and, I believe, over the phone. The dance hall that I frequent has shut down its weekly dance lessons for the rest of March. And I rather suspect they'll shut down for the weekend as well. Looks like I'm gonna be spending a lot of time at home.

Offline ĐeviŃ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 03:41:17 PM »
I'm still going to work, we haven't shut down, but all restaurants in the area are carry-out or delivery only. And the food vendors that normally come to my job site every day have been put on hold, so now I have to figure lunch out for myself. Other than that, still nothing that heavily impacts me. If I'm not at work, I'm usually at home doing something or other on my computer.

I tried to buy a second VR headset, because my fiance found a wonderful MMO-ish game that we want to play together. But we only have the one Oculus, and they are sold out EVERYWHERE. So she hogs the headset, and I'm stuck in the real world playing regular computer games, lol.

3 days ago, 8% of people in my state were infected. Yesterday, it was about 7%, and today, it's 6%. So even though the number of infections is increasing, the rate of the negative tests is much higher than the rate of the positive tests, which gives me some hope.

I hope you all stay safe and healthy, and if you get the urge to race, just let me know, because I'm almost available every day after 6pm CST, and am always looking for a reason to jump into the server.
Selling FREE PWNkakes™

Offline BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 04:29:38 PM »
The situation is way worse here in Europe. It started as voluntary quarantine and it is now mandatory like most countries are doing. Been closed at home for almost a week now and so is everyone and everything else aside from supermarkets, pharmacies (you know, the essential stuff). Honestly we were a bit too late to respond to this issue after seeing how badly the virus affected Italy and Spain and it's getting bad very quickly with the numbers going up like in those countries. Already expecting to spend the whole month of April at home and May as well depending on how things turn out.
College at home, all the events from work were postponed, training at home. So far dealing pretty good with it. Have a flight to Netherlands in about a month which is yet to be cancelled as neither countries have closed its borders yet (which I hope they do so I get my money back).

By the way, don't focus too much on the numbers... As they will only matter if you start doing some REAL testing. If people aren't being tested, the numbers won't go up of course. In the meantime the virus is getting spread without most noticing or having any sort of symptoms.

Stay safe guys, if quarantine is yet to be mandatory I'd start spending a lot more time at home and avoiding contact at all time. And yea, stock on some food as things will only get worse if government isn't doing anything to stop its spread. It may not seem too serious for you at the moment but let me guarentee if nothing is done or changed things will get chaotic (there are good and bad examples over the world and the bad examples are really bad right now).
Sorry for the long post and I'm not trying to scare you or anything, just trying to raise some awareness.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 04:45:50 AM by BFM_Mil »

Offline BFM_SüprM@ń

• BFM Admin
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 10:49:00 PM »
I'm a machinist at a relatively small shop (6 people total). Things haven't shut down too much where I live (semi-small town) other than restaurants, entertainment, and schools/administration. My wife is a nurse in the NICU (neonatal) so she hasn't really seen any Coronavirus cases come her way since she's usually just dealing with early newborns. The kid's school is out until April 13th (was going to have spring break first week of April anyway). That said, I've done my best to limit myself to only going out for groceries when we need them. Was supposed to be going down to Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area) with one of my best friends to visit my other best friend that just got married and is finally graduating from med school but it looks like that trip may not be happening now unfortunately. I'm more of a homebody anyway so this doesn't really bother me too much, other than occasionally grabbing some fast food.
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline BFM_Boredom

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »
We are under lockdown here in California. Even with this measure in place, many individuals are still in denial and walking the streets as if they are "Master Chiefs". With that in mind I'm am afraid for my kids who are "Essential" workers in the healthcare system. They have to self-quarantine each day when they get home. The next several months will definitely be a challenge for everyone. Be strong everyone.  :toughguy:

Just hunker down and join us for Halo Race.  d_b

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:29:33 AM by BFM_Boredom »
[img

Offline ĐeviŃ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 05:49:35 PM »
In fun news, my fiance, on Friday, at around 3:40pm CST, called me to inform me that she started coughing, and that a department of health worker advised her over the phone to get tested, and that they "strongly suggest" I leave work and head home myself. So I did. She was unable to get tested on Monday, due to having a double ear infection. I was also told Monday that I've got the go-ahead to provide my company with remote tech support from home, working my full normal hours.

I am also on call for my local site, and currently the only IT guy there. We were set to start sending high-risk people to work from home Monday, and me not being there didn't stop them. However, I've gotten many calls from the staff they are sending home, most of which were after hours. Luckily, I am an hourly employee, so I don't mind too much. But it's been making Half-Life: Alyx pretty difficult to play, with the frequency of the calls.
Selling FREE PWNkakes™

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 03:45:43 AM »
I had started a new job just before lockdown. Furlough based on 80% of average earnings when youve hardly worked a full week yet, isnt too good. Better than nowt but... REALLY want to go back to work.

Only really climbing the four walls because of that though. Would say the missus too.... but shes been driving me bonkers for years anyway.

Social distancing? Self isolation?...Me? been at those ones practically all my life!
Gamer, getting back into full swing of remembering how to make music again after my accident aswell, and if i am ever actually out, its on a motorcycle.

Missing my first two kids i dont live with... wont say no more about that one, can imagine a few of us daddos are in that situation... :-\

Missing me motorcycle club night and having everyone back at clubhouse after hours... (Well obviously!  ;D)

The house has never been so clean, the bike has never been so clean. Even my cleaning apparatus, has never been so clean :interesting:. Im absolutely certain, the missus is stealing my clean clothes out of the wardrobe in the morning when im still in bed... Shes that bored, shes washing clean clothes and wasting the detergent.

Other than that, quite a circus show of emotion and opinions to read on my fb local town pages day in day out...

So yeah, in short. Money, motorcycles, kids, unnecessary cleaning,  trying to get off fb...  :haw:

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 03:57:02 PM »
Social distancing? Self isolation?...Me? been at those ones practically all my life!

Me too! I was using #stayhome way before it was cool  :beachglasses:

I'm a Proud Walmart Associate (it says so on my vest) and things haven't changed at all for me, except that the Subway restaurant is closed in the store. Booooo. Guess I'm not eating fresh today.

People are supposed to be isolating and quarantining, but instead they get bored and decide to go to Walmart to fight over toilet paper and ground beef. People have been rubbing their faces on me since day one. I'm probably at least 78% COVID-19 right now.

I can't catch the coronavirus, because I am the coronavirus.

Offline BFM_ImaybeU

• BFM Admin
  • Got Ping? I do!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
We have been hunkered down since early March.  After retiring from my school in 2017 and moving from Hawaii to upstate New York, we are pretty much homebodies, so the stay-at-home mandate hasn’t affected us much.  Not going out to our favorite restaurants is a minor inconvenience.  Our pantry and freezers are well stocked.  Home deliveries via Amazon and groceries via InstaCart.  Binge watching NetFlix and Amazon Prime shows we’ve been wanting to see.

I’m also slowly restoring a 1906 Queen Ann Victorian house we bought before moving here. The honey-do list is very long.

What bothers us most is the staggering death toll in just three months.  Our hearts break.

On an unrelated note:  Just because I don’t live in Hawaii anymore, once I get back on the tracks, I’ll still give my traditional “Aloha” when logging in.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:43:49 PM by BFM_ImaybeU »

^^Thanks Warlord for the great sig!

Offline Bob Marley

• Senior Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 12:42:13 AM »
Insane times.

I've been labeled an essential worker, so I've been working my 40 throughout these times.  World has been flipped upside down, Eben work life.  We are ordered to wear masks at all times, even in a non air conditioned warehouse, still gotta be 6 feet apart when we can, starting Monday, we have to get our Temps checked every time we come to work.  I risk my health to go to work while a tonnnnn of people get paid double my pay to stay home.  Hmmm.

These nurses on the front line need extra income/bonuses..... Like asap tho.

All that said, now I have to worry about my city which is half burning down right now since the horrible George Floyd tragedy.

We need a lotttttttt more love in this world.

Stay safe family.

Print