Print 

Author Topic: Skyrim (The time is here!)  (Read 42198 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Skyrim (The time is here!)
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »

So, yeah, I've just gone through all of Oblivion (okay, not done with ALL the gates yet...  ::) ) getting back in shape for the forthcoming follow-on Skyrim.

FFR, here are the published game specs:

Minimum System Requirements
* CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or Althon X2 2.0 GHz
* RAM: 3 GB
* HDD: 15 GB
* Graphics: 512 MB card
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c

Recommended System Requirements
* CPU: Core 2 Quad 3 GHz
* RAM: 3 GB
* HDD: 15 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c

Supported Graphics Cards:
Minimum – 8800 GT
Recommanded – Geforce GTX 460/Radeon 5850

As usual, do not expect to have a "good gaming experience" unless you meet (exceed, usu...) the RECOMMENDED specs....

Notes:

- Current release date: 11/11/11
- Site
- Wikipedia
- It's not listed on Can You Run it? yet

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:59:26 AM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Infërnö

• Regular Poster
Re: Skyrim (Time to start this thread, methinks...)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
I physically cant wait for this, as I have been waiting for so long after enduring morrowind and playing the cheat role of Oblivion, i really want to see how they're handling the whole controlling two hands things (rumoured a while back cant remember if it's been confirmed due to lack of keeping up with news.)

I however will most likely love it, and dark elves look cooler on this one :)

Inferno.

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »
For the Graphics Card, is a Radeon 6870 better than the 5850? To me it seems like it would be, but I don't know if it is.

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

The Best Quote Ever By Exodus:

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
For the Graphics Card, is a Radeon 6870 better than the 5850? To me it seems like it would be, but I don't know if it is.

Find each of those on the chart here and see how they compare....

From my quick look the 5850 is (oddly?) just slightly better than the 6870.

The only specs where the 6970 is better is basic memory speed and bandwidth, yet the 5850 has better rendering specs.  Go figure....  ::)

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:16:03 PM »
My world must be perfect... my last exam is on November 10th.... Winner!

Will definitely be buying this one. Disappointed I am just below the recommended specs.

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:03:47 AM »
Ouch I don't have 3GB RAM :(

Offline Wic

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 03:55:22 AM »
A site I've grown to like is www.game-debate.com

Skyrim is listed there as Elder Scrolls V and you can check out your hardware for it.. you have to know your makes & models though.  And it will let you enter a different system spec if you're thinking of upgrading to see how it pans out.

Keep in mind that Game-Debate usually compares to the HIGHEST specs of the game, but as a site it is pretty neat IMO.

A lot of the comparisons and such are free aspecs of the site, although if you choose to be a premium member (for the lofty cost of $1.50 a month - which is startup as the site is new, but if you go for it now your cost will never increase) you can compare computer builds for possible future systems you're considering and see how they rate against what you're running now... I used this when considering a new CPU to buy me some time before a whole new system would be required.

Game-Debate said Slayton wouldn't be able to run Dead Island very well but he plays it just fine - his higher end graphics card carries the day I think over his older CPU - but that is also a result of - as I said - this site comparing to the higher end specs for a game.

I'm sure arguments can be made for some of their specs but all in all I think its a fairly neat site.  Lots more to it that I won't go into here but worth checking out for yourself. :smly_a_wink:

Offline BFM_Xtr3me

• BFM Admin
  • Without me, it's just aweso.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 06:54:24 AM »
i have already pre-ordered the collectors edition!!!! (for 360)
same as exodus, my exams finish before the release of skyrim,
im currently going through oblivion (first time actually) and will have 20 days or so between my last exam and skyrims release
all i can say is good bye social life 11/11/11

also, disappointment that skyrim is not an actual word here. Right-click and add to dictionary  ;D
and just fore the sake of it, bonks head in anticipation  :headbonk:

Xtr3me's Timeline in BFM
01/Jul/10 - First attempt at recruitment
07/Nov/10 - Second attempt at recruitment ;D
19/Dec/10 - Given Vent
30/Jan/11 - Given Little Tags
13/Mar/11 - Given Big Tags
26/Aug/11 - Promoted to Corporal
07/Feb/12 - Promoted to Sergeant
02/Nov/12 - Promoted to Lieutenant

Thankyou Lucky and Slayton

Offline BFM_Xtr3me

• BFM Admin
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »
only 2 days until Skyrim is released,
time to install KotN and Shivering Isles on Oblivion ;p

anyone else pre-ordered this game that will be in my top 2-3 for game of the year  ;D

Xtr3me's Timeline in BFM
19/Dec/10 - Given Vent

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:28:34 PM »
I didn't pre-order in the end because I will be away for for several days and very busy the following week so I won't be able to play it.... can't wait though :)

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline BFM_Xtr3me

• BFM Admin
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »
installing skyrim to my 360's hard drive right now :)

Xtr3me's Timeline in BFM
19/Dec/10 - Given Vent

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »

Installing Skyrim on my PC right now....

:yesyes:

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »

Installing Skyrim on my PC right now....

:yesyes:

Good luck!

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »

Okay.  24 hours straight in the game and here are my observations:

- The new UI semi-sucks: The "Local" maps are useless, with icons now in place of detailed maps of cities and such that you can't find what you're looking for without hovering over each icon to see its name. (The world map is pretty cool, tho, with a very pretty/nice 3D look.) To drop the second spell assigned to one of your hands, you have to pick something physical up in it and then "drop it" to empty your hand!

Also, it's WAY too obvious that they designed the interface for consoles instead of PCs: Your mouse is more of a burden than an interface-assisting-device....  :-X  (Get ready for your left hand to be on the <Tab>QWER/ASD rows, PERMANENTLY, and your right hand on your arrow keys....)

- The new Skill system is AWESOME! You can manage every single aspect of every ability to your own desire.

- Everything is just as gorgeous in Skyrim as it was in Oblivion, and more!: Environmental stuff - esp. waterfalls! - are beautiful! (Even at the lowest Visuals setting!)

- The story lines are deep, detailed, and excellent! (However, I am one to listen to EVERYTHING that a met character has to say.  I'm a nut for the back-stories in these games....)

- The game IS HARD!  (This is A Good Thing!)  Stick to the offered growth path or you'll be dead in a minute.  (I.e. Go to the Greybeards when they TELL YOU to go to the Greybeards!)  Sabre-Toothed Tigers, Trolls, Giants, and Dragons are instant death.  Steer clear of them early on. (Update: I can now kill STTs, once I reached lvl 7.  ;D )

- The dungeons are ... cities.  They are HUGE, and many levels deep (6?), and full of traps and denizens!

- There is an even MORE overwhelming wealth of side-quests.  If you like to manage them "regionally" (do a bunch in one area of the map, then move on) you have to go through your quest list one-by-one, tho, to figure out where they are/were....  ::)  E.g. In just doing the "main-line," initial quest (Greybeards) I picked up almost a dozen side-quests.)

- Roaming critters are EVERYWHERE, and those that attack now give you "fair warning" - no more wolves jumping you from behind!  Any that will attack you will howl/roar/scream before attacking you now!  ($10 to the first person that bags a rabbit with a bow, tho! Game is MUCH more like real life now!)

- The game hung on me twice....  ::)  :'(   Also, after a long, uninterrupted session it seems to get laggy.  (Exiting the game and re-entering with your Save makes all better, tho.) [Hint: DEFRAG your system - 3 times! - after installation...]

I'm sure there's more to report, but I'm getting back to the game now!

P.S. Thank you Bethesda!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:25:14 PM by MrMxyzptlk »

Offline BFM_Xtr3me

• BFM Admin
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 08:06:55 PM »
I have to agree with Mxy,
definitely my pick for 'Game of the Year'
I have seen a few minor glitches but if you have played TES before, you know you should save often.

Quests are much more detailed and a lot more harder so make sure you carry health and magicka potions around because you will need them. If anyone plays this, you should be picking skills you like second and the ones you need first (learnt that doing the first Thieves Guild Quest, needed the first sneak ability to do it properly)

As for the dragons, they are not as strong as I would have imagined (mainly because I have set it on the lowest difficulty).
Best way i found to kill dragons is to just get a bow out and shoot till your hearts contempt. Also if they land, you can get up close and do double sword power attacks.

I love how they have done the favourite/hotbar system in Skyrim. It makes it much easier to switch between Weapons, Shields and Magic in combat giving you a wider range of combinations without having to go to the items menu every time.

The one thing I am having problems with is making money. It is no walk in the park and takes forever when you need to buy lockpicks, potions etc.

The thing I'm looking forward to most is finding all the weapons/apparel that is shown during the loading screen (almost all of them look amazing, while the others are just good :))

Btw, completed the Mage Guild storyline already (not as long as Oblivions, and you only need 3 spells, 2 of which can be picked up during the questline, to complete it) and love the equipment you get at the end (though it isn't the prettiest looking gear)

Also, if you dont see Xtr3me soon, you know where I'll be  ;D

Xtr3me's Timeline in BFM
19/Dec/10 - Given Vent

Print