Print 

Author Topic: Help! My in-game text is GONE! (In one form or another....)  (Read 4481 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
E.g:
1. I see the chat input box, but when i type, no words show up.

2. I also see no chat display on the left of the screen.

So you say you're typing and can't see your typed text on-screen?  Or you don't see any text AT ALL when in Halo PC?

FIRST of all, make sure you aren't suffering from the ever-so-maddeningly-extremely-bad-programming of Halo PC's "text lag...."

"Text lag" appears in many forms: Everything from slightly-bothersome delays in displaying chat text, through every possibility down to seeing NO TEXT AT ALL when in-game.

Like the common cold, there are many "folklore fixes" to the problem, but take it from me, the ONLY SURE WAY TO GET RID OF "TEXT LAG" is to quit the game and re-enter. Period.

If you've done that and STILL cannot see any text, or the text that you're typing in-game, then try the following steps to "re-install" the text system used by Halo PC onto your computer.

FIRST, try a full "Cold Boot" of your computer:

Shut down your computer - do NOT Sleep or Hibernate it - and then turn off it's power. (Either unplug it from the wall, or shut off at the Power Supply Unit switch. If it's a laptop/notebook, remove the battery for that period as well.)

Keep the power off for AT LEAST ONE MINUTE.

Then boot it up and give it a try.

No joy?  Then read on....

Next you should assure that - if you're on a Microsoft OS that was AFTER XP, you need to set "Adminitrator Rights" and "XP compatibility mode" on your halo.exe file in your [...]\Microsoft Games\Halo directory.  (The method to do this varies by OS, but usualy can be found by right-clicking the halo.exe file where it lies and selecting "Properties" (at the bottom of the popup), and then the "Compatibility" tab.)

Still not working? Then go here and follow the directions for Method 2: Download and install the latest Microsoft XML Core Services to install the text display stuff (that you WOULD'VE gotten had you had Halo PC installed....  ::) )

Follow the given link in that Method section to download the TWO FILES: Msxml.msi and Msxmlcab.exe

Again, follow the directions thereafter and that should fix the problem.

(If you don't follow the directions precisely it likely won't work.)

P.S./Note: There is STILL another possibility, especially if you've altered any of your files that control how the text is displayed in Halo PC.  (I.e. You're missing or have modified any of the ".kmsl" files in your Halo\CONTENT directory(AKA Folder).)

If you ARE MISSING or HAVE ALTERED any of those files, I'd suggest a re-installation of Halo PC.... (Of course, KEEP YOUR EXISTING PROFILES when asked....)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:54:57 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print