Print 

Author Topic: If yur lagging, check your Halo Network setting FIRST!  (Read 23087 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
If yur lagging, check your Halo Network setting FIRST!
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:49:02 AM »
This is perhaps the biggest, most overlooked thing that you can do to improve your Halo performance when on-line, and it applies to all types and styles of Internet connection!:

First, determine your actual network upload speed, since this is the one that matters to Halo. Go to Broadbands Reports Speed Test [Note: See following post about why you should NOT use SpeedTest.net!] and follow the directions there. Note the value reported for your upload speed. (For later: do this 3-4 times over several weeks, at times that you would be playing Halo and take the lowest one.)

Now start Halo and go into Settings and then select Network Settings. See the Connection Type setting? Mouse over it and read the speed # for uploading.

Here's the list:
  • 56k = 56k
  • 128k = DSL/Cable (Low)
  • 384k = DSL/Cable (AVG)
  • 512k = DSL/Cable (High)
  • T1/LAN = 768k
(WHY they didn't put in the most common one, 256k is beyond me!)[/color]

Set this value TO THE NEXT SETTING DOWN FROM WHAT YOU GOT FROM THE REPORT ABOVE. (Once you've gotten used to what your performance in general is like after playing at this setting for a while, you can try bumping it up to the next speed setting up, if and only if it's close to your actual reported value.)

Having this setting correct has a HUGE impact on how often and how much stuff Halo sends out to the server, wireless, dial-up, whatever the connection type....

Notes:
- The Network Setting you have adjusted stays with your current Halo profile, so if you change profiles be sure to set the Network Setting there also!

- If you change your Internet connection service/method be sure to re-measure it and change the Halo Network Connection Type setting accordingly, too!

This has been a Public Sevice Announcement.

(Copied from old forums by MrMxyzptlk 2007-08-26.)

*edit* Re-titled for easier discovery.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:13:21 AM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Halo "lag": Check this before blaming ISP!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 05:07:55 AM »
1) Does it matter which city you choose for the test? None of those cities were anywhere near mine, the closest being Fort Worth TX and that's not exactly a stone's throw. I tried it with different cities and they were similar: 468, 484, 463 (uploads).

2) What effect does this setting have on game play? If the numbers fluctuate throughout the day (week?) and we select the lowest but closest network setting to accommodate the fluctuations, can I choose 56k and make my performance AWESOME since I'm well over that speed? I had the simple-minded impression that the network setting thing was kind of like a survey but had something to do with Multiplayer in that I shouldn't select the very highest setting thinking it will improve game performance. I know that much, at least.  ;D But why can't the game just KNOW what I need? I don't get it.

I read the thread from the "old forums" and the first page was like an infomercial. I was inspired and hooked--where do I send my money?

Thanks Mxy!

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »
Try here for more servers throught the world and the United States. (http://www.speedtest.net/) I use this one all the time! d_b

Max, Mxy said to set it on the one belo what you get to try it out. So put it to 384. IF that runs fne, you  can try putting it up to 512 since that is very close to your current speed.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 05:40:12 PM »
JANE: Closest city you can get is best: it doesn't really matter, since you're after a "real-world" throughput # anyway! (E.g. In the best case you'd run the speed test TO THE GAME SERVER, since that's the # you really need!)

The setting varies the size & frequency of the packets that you send & receive between your Halo game client and the server. Hence you don't want it too high, since that will result in an overload of your connection's ability. (Hence "set it to the ONE BELOW what you get," you see....)

If your speed varies a lot (can you say "satellite"/"cable?") then play with the setting IN-GAME (bring up menu with <ESC> then "Change Settings" and the rest per the above instructions), varying it between the lowest that you EVER measured and your "usual" and see if you can even tell the diff.

Max: If you only did the speed test once, then do whatever you want, because it may not be an appropriate representation of your real line speed anyway!  :-\  If 500 is your MAX over 3+ runs, then yes, set it to 386k. If ANY ONE of your tests got over 512, give 512 a try, and then after you've gotten used to the performance, knock it down to 386 and see if you like it better.

Ediseye/All: I have my doubts about the accuracy of speedtest.net's measurments. It give me #s WAY higher than broadbandreports.com, or any other measuring method that I use.

E.g. My #s via both: (Latency(ms) / Down(Kbps) / Up(Kbps) )

BroadbandReports.com: 12  / 8507  / 1704
SpeedTest.net:            12 / 14380 / 4470

I do not get the sort of numbers given by SpeedTest.net unless it's for bittorrents. (I.e. Multi-connection, simultaneous accesses in parallel.) [Note that in either case the ISPs compression may be causing misleading results as well, but that's hard to take out of the equation....]

I think SpeedTest.net might be using some method that maximizes bandwidth by using multiple connections, which is okay for a "browsing"/"downloading" speed number, but is NOT a true measure of what you'll get in any real-time gaming situation....

All: Play with this setting! Results seem to vary a lot, but in the general case fall in the area that I've suggested.  Your mileage may vary!

Also: Be SURE you keep in mind that this setting varies with YOUR PROFILE, so when you switch profiles (go "undercover") you might want to make the same change there. Also remember to change it when/if your connection changes, too! (You'll WANT TO kill yourself if your on a portable and try to play a LAN game while set on 128k! All the while everyone ELSE will be killing YOU!  ;D )

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:45:27 AM by MrMxyzptlk »

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 05:39:09 AM »
ummmm thought that list they give u only changes the amount of players u can host in a server, nothing more nothing less???

because i got 256 and if i put it up to MAX i dont see any difference from when i put it to 56k, it only changes the max players allowed in my own server.

Offline -JR-Turbo

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:20:15 AM »
upload :700kbs - 751kbs
Download 1.2mbs - 1.3mbs
so what one should i go with i got dsl btw
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:29:22 AM by -JR-Turbo »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 12:14:38 AM »
upload :700kbs - 751kbs
Download 1.2mbs - 1.3mbs
so what one should i go with i got dsl btw

Use 512k, because the jump to t1/LAN seems to be a big one.

(But at some point afte you've gotten used to gameplay at 512k, try switching it up to LAN and see if you can notice any impact....)

Offline BigShot

• Regular Poster
  • its when you're not looking that the shot hits
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 10:17:08 AM »
i'm thinkin something i wrong with the tester, i got 9200kbs download and 700kbs upload are these numbers for real? whenever i download something over the internet the highest i ever see is 500kbs

team sig by Slayton, thanks a ton!

My virtues: be silent but strong, never attack in anger, uphold all just laws, and stay 100% loyal to your choices and friends

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 07:49:01 PM »
i'm thinkin something i wrong with the tester, i got 9200kbs download and 700kbs upload are these numbers for real? whenever i download something over the internet the highest i ever see is 500kbs

1) If your numbers are from broadbandreports/dslreports then I'd beleive them.  If they're from SpeedTest.net, then I have some doubts.

2) You will rarely/never see your actual, maximum speed when downloading something from an individual server as you'll be throttled by that server's total/per-connection outgoing bandwidth, which is usually a lot less than your "download" ability.

If you wanted to get closer to actually using your full download bandwitdh you'd need to use a bittorrent client, but even then I rarely see numbers get above even 1/2 my actual download ability.  [Note: Do NOT delve into bittorrent unless you know your ISP's position on its use! Some will take action to reduce your overall throughput without notice! E.g. Comcast has been known to do this to its customers, and even scans traffic for bittorrent activity....]

The only way to truly max out most download bandwidth is to have multiple downloads using multiple connections from multiple machines all going over the sam, single Internet feed at once, but there's no good reason to ever do this - intentionally - just to test your actual speed!

Offline Vidiot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 08:31:53 AM »
Um I've run the test several times and have gottin' around 800kbps upload everytime :P. However, while it was doing the upload it said "WARNING: Your connection shows signs of ISP upload compression"

What on earth is that supposed to mean? O_O

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 12:52:03 AM »
That means that you don't REALLY get that as your actual upload speed, and certainly will NOT get it during Halo - or any other real-time - on-line gaming.

You've hit one of the cases where you also need to check your network latency (network round-trip time.)

Nowadays this is simply called "ping" (after ONE of the utilities used to determine network latency.)

So in your case you should also get Doctor Ping from the broadbandreports website and follow its instructions to determine your latency and its "rating" versus a "norm."

Depending on how far it is below the norm will give some general guidance as to how much to reduce your upload number.

Of course the BEST thing to do would be to call up your ISP and ask them what your UNcompressed bandwidth is, and just use that number and skip all the latency guesswork....

Offline Vidiot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 05:57:21 AM »
That means that you don't REALLY get that as your actual upload speed, and certainly will NOT get it during Halo - or any other real-time - on-line gaming.

You've hit one of the cases where you also need to check your network latency (network round-trip time.)

Nowadays this is simply called "ping" (after ONE of the utilities used to determine network latency.)

So in your case you should also get Doctor Ping from the broadbandreports website and follow its instructions to determine your latency and its "rating" versus a "norm."

Depending on how far it is below the norm will give some general guidance as to how much to reduce your upload number.

Of course the BEST thing to do would be to call up your ISP and ask them what your UNcompressed bandwidth is, and just use that number and skip all the latency guesswork....

I'm using comcast cable internet, and surprisingly I got a GOOD ping. 64.3. Said I was above average :O. But, IMO ping isn't all there is to gaming. I've read plenty of stories of people who get "good pings" and good download/upload speeds, but have horrid latency during gaming. I am one of them. I've got a great router and good set-up at my house, but EVERY SINGLE ONLINE GAME I PLAY has lag. When I use these games at someone ELSES house (who has DSL) I don't have lag. So it's not my computer, because I sometimes take my comp with me. I've spent hours talking to comcast and they can't help me. I'm CONVINCED there is some packet loss or something going on. Other people say that they can shoot me just fine on their screen, but even at POINT BLANK RANGE I have to aim ahead of people on my screen :|. That shouldn't happen with my cable internet!

And I know it's not anything in the house (like router) because this lag only started about a year ago and I didn't change anything. *sigh*. Traceroutes are fine as well. All the servers I hit have good pings.

I really am going to go insane. Nothing I've done will fix it. I hate comcast!!!!!!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 10:56:53 PM »
'Could be either packet loss (which you can also test for at broadbandreports.com) or you might have been hit with a "connection count cap" - something which Comcast is famous for, BTW. (They capped me once when they found I was running bittorrent a lot.)

In the latter case they don't throttle your bandwidth or such, they just limit the # of simultaneous connections allowed through your wire. (Through your connection at their smart switch, that is.)

When they did this to me bittorrent rates dropped to 1/20th (like under 100kbps) and we even ran into problems when multiple users were on-line at the same time. ("Are one of you downloading some huge file?")

You can test for packet loss, but there's nothing that you can (easily) do to check for conncetion count throttling.

Oh, and I forgot, but you HAVE been doing these test after a clean cold start of all your networking devices from your computer to your modem, right?  Since many modems and router get into strange states that cause intermittant problems like this....

Offline Vidiot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 11:07:27 PM »
'Could be either packet loss (which you can also test for at broadbandreports.com) or you might have been hit with a "connection count cap" - something which Comcast is famous for, BTW. (They capped me once when they found I was running bittorrent a lot.)

In the latter case they don't throttle your bandwidth or such, they just limit the # of simultaneous connections allowed through your wire. (Through your connection at their smart switch, that is.)

When they did this to me bittorrent rates dropped to 1/20th (like under 100kbps) and we even ran into problems when multiple users were on-line at the same time. ("Are one of you downloading some huge file?")

You can test for packet loss, but there's nothing that you can (easily) do to check for conncetion count throttling.

Oh, and I forgot, but you HAVE been doing these test after a clean cold start of all your networking devices from your computer to your modem, right?  Since many modems and router get into strange states that cause intermittant problems like this....

Um yeah dude. Everything hasn't been running 24/7 for the past year that I've been having the problem ;). I've done this a lot when everything was "cold" as you say lolz.

Anyways, if there was that connection count throttling going on, would that cause lag in my game WITHOUT causing my ping to go high? If it does than that might be the problem with my lag. I did a couple "bit torrents" a while ago because  I needed a song I ALREADY HAD BOUGHT (so it ain't illegal :D) but I couldn't find the CD.

Offline gextero

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 12:34:11 PM »
why is it when other people lag you see them lagging?

Print