Print 

Author Topic: New Race level For Custom Edition. It is Assault on Control Room. Interested?  (Read 10003 times)

Offline Didymus

• Newbie Poster
I posted this to the officers to see whether they like the concept. I essentially took the first part of Assault on the Control Room and made it support the race game type.

Anyone interested? I made this level to see if single player levels could be edited and so far I say that is possible.

I want to rekindle the interest that people once had in Custom Edition. So I decided to edit Single Player maps and convert them to Multiplayer. I plan on doing this with Halo (a30) and the library but that map might be too small.

http://www.youtube.com/v/_H_llJpXl2I?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:42:03 PM by BFM_JANE »

Offline Didymus

• Newbie Poster
I also plan on doing this with the Maw (d40.)

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.

That's a pretty cool idea! I like the Campaign maps and adding race to them makes them all the better.

I've moved this to the Custom Edition board where other people could comment on it. The CE board is where we get ideas for what maps to use in our CE server, which we sometimes have up. I think it may be down at the moment.

Even if it's not added to our rotation right away, you can still post the videos and people could check them out. If you upload them to Halomaps.org, people could also download them and give them a try.

Good luck with the maps, I hope they see some use. :)

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
I watched the vid you made, it looks pretty cool, and nice job
Only problem I would see with that is that people would get killed at the very beginning, then the people who got out would be able to get all the navs, and if one person got killed out of a hog, around the middle of the lap, then it would be really hard to get back into the race, if you know what I mean. I was thinking about this, then I thought, you could have a hog teleporter at each nav! (one way, of course), just like in Coldsnap. Then, people/hogs could go through and link up with allies and stuff, you could even label the teleporters and navs to make it easier to communicate.

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline BFM_Fénix

• BFM Admin
  • I shall be reborn from the ashes
I feel like there is a lot of space between navs. Even though we play race on a regular basis, some people don't really know those maps (especially large ones) and it could get complicated. Also, I'm not much into the idea of having only one "ramp" to get back to 1st nav. Finally, I would say it's better if you take out the sharp turns (bridges), only in order to make the race smoother.
2000th member of the BFM forums.
According to Hlao, and Hlao's word is law.

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
The other point is that it's a very "linear" track. Might be worth making it smaller, especially if there were to be team races on it - 192 seconds for a lap, and added to the that high likelihood of kills, would make it a very long race.

Not sure how to get round these comments - maybe it's a map that isn't suited for race. But good work and I might be being very pessimistic (it's wouldn't be the first time...).
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline Didymus

• Newbie Poster
I watched the vid you made, it looks pretty cool, and nice job
Only problem I would see with that is that people would get killed at the very beginning, then the people who got out would be able to get all the navs, and if one person got killed out of a hog, around the middle of the lap, then it would be really hard to get back into the race, if you know what I mean. I was thinking about this, then I thought, you could have a hog teleporter at each nav! (one way, of course), just like in Coldsnap. Then, people/hogs could go through and link up with allies and stuff, you could even label the teleporters and navs to make it easier to communicate.

Good point. I could make two different sizes for this map. One could be for the small version which would be 1/3 of the size of the original map (from the last nav point to the first nav it is approx. 900 meters riding in warthog) so I could try to make it 300 m in size for the small map.)

As for the second map it would be the original size.

I think I will simply place warthogs in the middle of the map and place them by a warp in the event they die all they have to do is take the warp and they will have another warthog waiting for them around midpoint so that they don't have to drive all that way all over again.

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
  • There there, it's ok....
    • Hehehehehe...
....Get a few grunts on that map! :P

That would be SO awesome!

Offline Didymus

• Newbie Poster
....Get a few grunts on that map! :P

That would be SO awesome!

I managed to convert the entire single player level called "Halo." The only problems are listed below

1. When you approach the Trigger Volume that loads the other half of the structure BSP when you die you respawn at the first part with the landscape that isn't rendered.

Possible Solution: Extract the BSP's and then import both of them into one mesh and then make a new map out of it.

I made a video if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/v/tirCyuhRRlk&feature=channel_video_title&rel=0

Removed related videos and comments - Tanxs1
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:19:35 AM by BFM_Tanxs1 »

Offline Didymus

• Newbie Poster
I feel like there is a lot of space between navs. Even though we play race on a regular basis, some people don't really know those maps (especially large ones) and it could get complicated. Also, I'm not much into the idea of having only one "ramp" to get back to 1st nav. Finally, I would say it's better if you take out the sharp turns (bridges), only in order to make the race smoother.

I do agree with you that  the ramp at the beginning of the map is impossible to deal with.

I made that map in under 20 minutes so there are tons of issues.

I am thinking about getting rid of that area completely seeing as though I can't find any sort of ramps at all that would allow players to go up to ledges about 4 feet high. I wish I could do that but for now I think I might just get rid of the area.

I was also thinking about placing about 2 to maybe 3 warps in the even that the player dies in mid route. The first one would lead to the area where you meet the second wave of covenant tanks, the second would be just passed the bridge in the cave, and the third well might server further use but I have no clue what to do with that.

----you are right though----

This map is wayyyyy too big. I was just bored and wanted to create a fully functional multiplayer map that was converted from Single player. I mainly wanted to create a sort of coop or something.

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
It just occurred to me that you'll have great difficulty in directly converting any Halo campaign map to a suitable multiplaer map, for the reason that the play there is pretty much always linear - you're moving, basically, in one direction, and not in a circle. Possibly the most suitable map would be Silent Cartographer, I think - which, if I remmber rightly, is just Death Island's bigger brother. All the other maps are long, narrow, and at least not good for decent racing maps.

The way round this would be to grab a section of the map, such as one the "Halo" level's major base area thingies, and fill in the gaps in walls or whatever people do when they use these incredibly clever map editors. I'm not sure how it's all coded, but it'd be a lot of work, I'm assuming. And I wouldn't have the first idea where to start.
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline Didymus

• Newbie Poster
It just occurred to me that you'll have great difficulty in directly converting any Halo campaign map to a suitable multiplaer map, for the reason that the play there is pretty much always linear - you're moving, basically, in one direction, and not in a circle. Possibly the most suitable map would be Silent Cartographer, I think - which, if I remmber rightly, is just Death Island's bigger brother. All the other maps are long, narrow, and at least not good for decent racing maps.

The way round this would be to grab a section of the map, such as one the "Halo" level's major base area thingies, and fill in the gaps in walls or whatever people do when they use these incredibly clever map editors. I'm not sure how it's all coded, but it'd be a lot of work, I'm assuming. And I wouldn't have the first idea where to start.

I was thinking that too. I am thinking about whether or not this is actually worth it. Do you think you could add AI on a multilayer map? If so that increases the value. People could essentially play halo campaign with 15 other people. Just a thought.

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
I don't think it would work. While I have no experience in this area, I would imagine major lag issues. However, I am well known for being wrong, so give it a go :D

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
I don't think it would work. While I have no experience in this area, I would imagine major lag issues. However, I am well known for being wrong, so give it a go :D

You got that right :P

(Jokes ;D)

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

The Best Quote Ever By Exodus:

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
It's very possible to add AI to a multi-player map and play it without lag..if you want, I can put you in touch with a few very well known mappers who know how to do this...

Print