Print 

Author Topic: FCC to investigate Comcast BitTorrent blocking  (Read 5657 times)

Offline BFM_Skedog

• Lieutenant
Re: FCC to investigate Comcast BitTorrent blocking
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,
that is great(sort of) being as i dont use P2P very often,
but wahooo for justice :)

BFM_Skedog

By priceslaytonv at 2011-03-05

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a few seconds, set him on FIRE and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

A GREAT leader has the ability to combine knowledge, passion, caring, and wisdom into a focused energy that perpetuates the desire to do GREAT in those who are following.

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 09:45:17 PM »
Not at the prices that we're paying!!
I just noticed this comment, so a late reply:

Yeah right! We pay around $50 a month for <20GB of monthly transfer, with upload speeds capped at 128k and peak time speeds of less than 100kBps.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 02:28:00 AM »
Yeah right! We pay around $50 a month for <20GB of monthly transfer, with upload speeds capped at 128k and peak time speeds of less than 100kBps.

There's something wrong when the Kiwis have it cheaper than us...-.- LOL

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_Skedog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 05:48:33 AM »

There's something wrong when the Kiwis have it cheaper than us...-.- LOL
lol pwnt,
kiwi didnt say that :p

BFM_Skedog

By priceslaytonv at 2011-03-05

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a few seconds, set him on FIRE and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

A GREAT leader has the ability to combine knowledge, passion, caring, and wisdom into a focused energy that perpetuates the desire to do GREAT in those who are following.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 12:14:57 AM »
Yeah but Saes is a Kiwi o.0 (Kiwis are from New Zealand FYI ::))

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 12:36:05 AM »
lol pwnt,
kiwi didnt say that :p

lol, pwnt.

:winkgrin:

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 06:52:44 AM »
Wikipedia has a good description:

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is a United States government agency, created, directed, and empowered by Congressional statute (see 47 U.S.C. § 151 and 47 U.S.C. § 154), and with the majority of its commissioners appointed by the current president.

The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 as the successor to the Federal Radio Commission and is charged with regulating all non-Federal Government use of the radio spectrum (including radio and television broadcasting), and all interstate telecommunications (wire, satellite and cable) as well as all international communications that originate or terminate in the United States. It is an important factor in US telecommunication policy. The FCC took over wire communication regulation from the Interstate Commerce Commission.

The FCC has slowly over time been getting into regulation of areas other than wireless-broadcast issues.  I'd have to say they have a decent amount of regulatory power.
the FCC communication rules were meant to be broken!!!!   :ninja:
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline zetlandpeat / {HM}Zet

• Regular Poster
  • The Vikings are Coming - Up Helly Aa
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 08:42:29 AM »
The music industry here have forced IP (Virgin Media) to send letters to those it knows are swapping music tracks and other such binary codes, the letter basically sez that we know what you are doing, if you dont stop it we will stop you.

Because Virgin Media are linked to the Virgin Group, they have their orders to follow, they have also taken over a huge part of the optical cable network here. To add that we in the UK can be captured on CCTV up to 200 times a day (for our safety of course).

1984 by Eric Arthur Blair or even Brazil by one of the Pythons springs to the front of my grey stuff.

Oh, connection prices for me are

£24.00/ month (about $35.00) gets me:-

my phone line free land line calls after 6pm

wireless router/modem

2nd phone line which includes free 24hr landline calls, Orange mobile calls and calls to landlines in over 30 countries (in USA, NZ, Australia, most of Europe) All free, max for 2 hours per call, hang up and ring back, total 1000 hours per line per month of free stuff.

And unlimited connection (if you get a box that works lol, I have a minor tech hitch)

Also half price cinema tickets

Half price mobile phone rental/use

Wireless printer options and connection to XBox

That is all though.

Any more and I would not believe it possible or true.

ZET
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

TALL SHIPS RACE COMES BACK TO SHETLAND

I would like to be a glowworm, a glowworms never glum, it`s hard to be downhearted when the sun shines out your bum.

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
  • Wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka...
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 03:33:29 PM »
1984 by Eric Arthur Blair or even Brazil by one of the Pythons springs to the front of my grey stuff.

Wasn't it George Orwell who wrote 1984?
I have held for a while now that 1984 was set about 20 years too early...

And yes, there have been threats to remove people's internet access if they download too much music - that was overturned.
Then there's Phorm which you may or may not have heard of - where (by my understanding) your Internet usage is sent to their servers and used to send you targeted advertising - as if we didn't get enough as it is... There's even a government petition to stop it happening, and if you're a British citizen or resident, I urge you to sign it if you value your online privacy - so you can let Gordon Brown ignore you by name (since that's all he ever seems to do with these petitions).
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/

I'm getting off track. I actually saw something about this FCC decision in New Scientist today:
"ADVOCATES of net neutrality, the idea that all internet traffic should get equal priority, last week cheered a ruling by the Federal Communications Commission against US internet service provider Comcast. Last year the ISP was found to be monitoring its users' activity and "throttling" the transmission of video and other files sent by bandwidth-hungry peer-to-peer applications. The FCC now says this is contrary to the "vibrant and open nature of the internet".
Internet users can now check for themselves whether their ISP is throttling or otherwise interfering with their traffic. A free program called Switzerland, released last week by the San Francisco-based Electronic Frontier Foundation, monitors the data packets exchanged with a  provider and alerts the user if anyone is messing with them"

I'm rather tempted to download that and see if BT aren't doing anything with my connection...

(EDIT: And I've just realised that I didn't need to type all that out from the magazine. The article, short as it may be, can be found here.)
wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka wakka...

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 04:32:53 PM »

Wasn't it George Orwell who wrote 1984?

Yes. *Goes back to Lurking*

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 05:02:43 PM »

Eric Arthur Blair = George Orwell  (pseudonym)

[/pedant]

Print