Print 

Author Topic: DAY Z - Zombie Apocalypse Survival !!! PICS !!!  (Read 5626 times)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
DAY Z - Zombie Apocalypse Survival !!! PICS !!!
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
It is in alpha, but looks promising none the less. Considering purchasing ARMA II soley for this mod.  :eyebrow:

DAY Z
(2m Youtube)

From the website:
A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

Realistic "Zombies" with custom animations - These once human creatures will act and behave as if they have a heighten sense of hearing and smell but less sight, on top of that they use motion captured animations such as walking and eating from your unconscious body. If you look into any built up area you'll see them walking around waiting for their next victim which dares to venture in.

New weapons and vehicles! - Ever felt like you needed a Crossbow? Or maybe a less military like weapon? If you have then this is perfect for you as we have both of these created to high quality standards all ready for your use in this wasteland. On top of that you can even pick up the bolts fired from the Crossbow to reuse! Not only that we also have created custom vehicles which can be repaired and ridden around to show the world what you're made of!

Custom Medical System - ArmA II's magic medic feature is a thing of the past with this medical system - If you get shot, expect to bleed and to lose blood until you're bandaged up. Lost too much blood? Then expect to fall over unconscious. If you get shot in the leg then you won't be able to walk until you get morphine so you can man up. Pain is also a factor taken into consideration so without pain killers after taking an injury you'll continue to shake. This is medical at it's best!

Persistent Server - Fed up of spending so many hours working towards a goal or finding supplies and then the server crashes on you losing all your progress? Well with the DayZ server all stat's are saved to our external database so where ever you log off, whatever you have will be keep on you next time you come back in. This means you can spend however long you want doing what you want to do. As long as you don't die during the night!

Tons of new objects - We haven't just added in big things like weapons, we take pride in little details so expect to find things such as water canteens, a number of canned foods, junk and car parts (Along with more!) each of which have their own models, textures and UI imagery, once again all created to that high quality you expect in a full scale modification and we're sure you won't be disappointed with it. Nothing has been rushed.

Hunting and Survival - Eating and drinking is a core part of gameplay, you can tell if you need something by a very subtle GUI which doesn't effect the atmosphere, and if you don't fulfil those needs. You'll die. Wandering animals can be killed and gutted (with the right tools) to gain access to their meat which can be eaten so you live longer but also to gain blood. For once these animals actually have a use.

Heavy Optimisation - The DayZ server has been designed to give the best play possible. Custom coding and edits have created a smooth running world which can easily have thousands of zombies spawned at once!

And Much More! - The only way to find out - is to survive!

Its a mod/TC (Total Conversion) for ARMA II

Does anyone play ARMA II?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:02:13 PM by BFM_Octane »

Offline BFM_Fénix

• BFM Admin
  • I shall be reborn from the ashes
Re: DAY Z - Zombie Apocalypse Survival [Mod] (ARMA II)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »
I've seen videos about it and it looks quite good. I've been thinking on buying it, but It would be for the mod only, so I see it as a waste. Also, the DayZ standalone game is in alpha (I think?) and it has the same features. Personally, I'd rather buy DayZ than ARMA II and download the mod.
2000th member of the BFM forums.
According to Hlao, and Hlao's word is law.

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
OH I see! It was a mod but they're bringing it out as its own game. Now i'm looking at the right videos and website.

Oh good. I look forward to it!

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »
...No, im far too impatient, went and got ARMA II anyway.

It was a bit of a pain in the bum to get the mod going but finally got there.

Looks like most people are playing a specific version of the mod called DAYZ Origins which elaborates on the mod allowing for structures to be built, more maps (as if the original isn't big enough...) so have just downloaded that too but have made a start of playing the initial DAYZ mod.

Well, it certainly delivers and the various glitches and performance issues I can actually look past.

I pick a server and get into my first game, I look around and, atmosphere. Good start. Good sounds, your average qwerky zombie horror flick scores of suspense and ambient eerie effects. Perfect.  No zombies around in the local vicinity so first things first. Figure out the controls. I know this is ARMA II... And as I expect there are controls for just about anything on an army FPS simulator.

Right controls are done, tweaked.

Go, i run, just going anywhere really, first time in the game, no clue what is what where or when. Oh look, a dead body. Figure out how to search it, i grab the spare bandages off this carcass and move on towards the houses down the road.

First house, porch, I manage to find a hatchet to use as a weapon to fend off from any zombies who managed to see me and start chasing me (theyre like '28 days later' movie zombies, they run, and its blooming scarey! lol).

I later come across a gun as i've gone deeper into this town-ish area, oh and some bullets... Not that it was actually a good idea to use this gun right after finding it in a built up area. I shot a zombie in the head, next minute, boom 10+ zombies start coming round from all corners and start hitting me. Not knowing exactly how to evade zombies, nor do I even remember what buttons to press to be able to bandage myself up and stop bleeding out, i get knocked out, and while the egg timer is going down for when im able to get back up, the game is actually still in play, the zombies are munching away and kicking my spleen across the asphalt, i'm bleeding like crazy, and, I die.

I respawn, ask someone in the server how to patch myself up and then off i go again, running through fields towards a barn, no wait, go slow, i haven't got that hatchet anymore... this time while looking around, carefully and as quietly as i possibly can, I find a map!

Pressing the M key now brings up a map and not black screen, woo!
While looking at the map, it sinks in just how big the game is.  Wow, Skyrim suddenly seems like a small island.
What also begins to sink in is how my orientation skills aint been exercised for quite a while... I dont know where i am!

I close the map and decide to go look for a gun again (aswell as a notable POI so i can get my bearings).

20 minutes of sprinting down a verge, beside a long stretch of country road (to keep footsteps quiet) a few buildings and a petrol/gas station comes into view. Wicked. But the fields just before the buildings are crawling with zombies...

...So another 10 minutes of prone crawling through long grass and hiding behind tree trunks trying to get passed the zombies. But hey, its all part of the zombie survival simulation right?!  ;D

Right! Im in the petrol station. I find a springfield. BANG! I fall over, screen goes black n white. I just got taken out by another player.

END

Its a very challenging game, I don't think I have lasted more than 30 minutes alive yet. Could really do with meeting someone on there and teaming up with them. Apparently I will come across groups of players with camps set up in the middle of forests and well anywhere really.  And not all of these groups are friendly players and will come after you if they see you. But again, its something i can imagine would happen in a real life scenario. It seems to me not only is this game an apocalyptic zombie survival, its an experiment. This is where i will find out to what extent people will go, and just how humane my fellow humans are. Considering my last experience in-game was getting shot in the back of head by another player, my hopes arn't too high lol.

The servers run DAY/NIGHT times. If you play at night you are far less likely to be spotted by zombies, but this isn't your average game. If its night time then you definitely, definitely need a torch to get around.

Still, will be looking forward to the stand alone release. Its being rebuilt on its own game engine, as from the official word and no doubt the game (ARMA II) wasn't designed for a zombie apocalypse.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:55:11 AM by BFM_Octane »

Offline BFM_Fénix

• BFM Admin
  • I shall be reborn from the ashes
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:03:16 PM »
The first thing people complain: glitches. - Cleared

Regrettably (fortunately?), there is a lot of PvP, so expect more shooting :P Also, there are lots of "hackers", so I suggest you find a good regulated server to play ;)

Since you bought ARMA II... There is another mod worth trying if you ever get tired of the zombies IMO: Wasteland
2000th member of the BFM forums.
According to Hlao, and Hlao's word is law.

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
I found the single player version (DaiZy) to train on but this game really is based on online PvP, you're right. And other real people being around in the vastness that this game has, keeps things random. And not knowing when they might turn up, whether they will be friendly or foe... Its no race game but the team play would be immense it would be great to see BFM get on this actually. If the stand alone version will be available on PC and its like the mod then i believe its got huge potential. BFM has often been a consideration when searching for games. This time I was simply on a search for a zombie apoc thrill but I think I might have just killed two birds with one stone here. Time will tell when the stand alone game arrives and of course how many of us would be interested in the the kind of game it is.

So, since my last update. Much has changed. I'm able to survive on my own two feet for longer than a few hours. This time (after countless deaths) my luck has lasted since a couple of days ago. I'm still alive and have managed to progress and evade when required. I've found all the relevant bits needed to set up a small camp in the middle of "Black Forest" (tent, axe, to chop wood, to make a fire, matches. Cooked a chicken leg on a camp fire I built.  Gotta say at this point, travelling at night is best for looting, while its pitch black and you cant have your torch out and weapon up at the same time, you're far less easily spotted. Though its proper tense if you are spotted.

I mean, last night for instance, I was in the outskirts of a city, pitch black, I agro'd a huge number of zombies! started hitting me, i started pressing wrong keys, lost my nerve and instead of running through buildings, I bailed and ran, ran and ran. I must have spent 10-15 actual minutes running to the nearest forest area with zombies right on my tail. It were tense man! Those zombies ain't slow and they sound like zombies! (yeah!)
Really felt like I was in one of those movies I've watched over the years. It wa' great... love it.

I also came across some trusting folk through the main chat in-game, and they invited me onto their team speak  :)

They're a small group of regular lads and ladies, heroes and bandits who play on one of the GTXGaming servers which are regulated ones. The bandits i've not really spoken to yet but the heroes have offered to let me set up home at their settlement they have built, which works for me. I'm not a bandit, I don't go around hunting and killing other players after they've spent hours and hours playing the game building up their items and supplies.
There is a delay, my new friends are currently on a mission to one of the islands to kill the large AI (NPC) bandit  (nasty people who have everything and cast the lesser out -type, as the story goes) groups. They have the best loot but you gotta get in there to get it. Not that easy, less so when other human bandits are trying too from what I've been hearing.

But not a problem, for I've spent the last few hours travelling back and forth the main stretches and country roads with a jerry can of gas, on an almost unusable rickety ATV I found that some other player must have fixed, used and then ditched before it had become unusable. Going into the big cities and salvaging car parts for the rocket launcher pick-up truck(!) I found parked behind a factory, so that I can use THAT to collect the raw materials needed to build a house/base. It will benefit my new friends and I when fending off the bandits whenever we need to all travel in-land to stock up on food and supplies.

I've also learnt that on the version I play, there is a level/rank up system for players and there are tiers/levels on building houses and kitting up vehicles. I find different level blue prints, the higher level blue prints I find the better quality buildings I can build. But I've also got to find the materials such as cement, scrap metal, I've got to get me a pick axe so I can mine for rock, I need to chop trees for wood etc etc etc. Kit it all out with barbed wire, put a lock on the door so other players cant rob my house while I'm not logged into the game.

I've a loooong way to go yet...

To be continued...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:30:02 PM by BFM_Octane »

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
I've been driving for dayz. Dealing with the zombies has become second nature. Now im a master of the zombie apocalyptic wasteland!.... Ok not quite. My new found friends haven't been around for a while and there has been no development in my moving in to their settlement... so since the last update, i thought best find a good place to build a home, im running out of places to store items!

Aquired a secondary vehicle before that though, The first one I keep hidden with what i've looted so far, plenty of back-up food, drink and medical supplies, spare building materials, random ammunition for guns I don't yet have... Have been lucky so far in that nobody has come across it and stolen anything as of yet, though i do shift it about around the southern coast while im not logged into the game.

With the new vehicle to go out and get more stuff. Because the foundations for the new level 1 hero house have set and its time to go out and get further raw materials... and another cement mixer...

Back and forth from the nearest City of Sambina, Mining rock from the nearest quarry. None of this is short process and I felt so accomplished of my new black patch I made in the middle of no where (see first pic below), especially with my location being well out of the way, down south away from any built up areas. While a good choice to anchor up for keeping out of the way of other players who might want to steal my stuff. I'm never too far away from danger. And my current issue isn't just the length of journey but also i've managed to cross a frequent flight path of AI Bandit Helicopters with mounted guns flying in and out of "Sector B". The result is further delays in journey times, as well as potential death or breakdown in the middle of nowhere each journey.

Sector B, i've learned is where all the dangerous AI Bandits are in large numbers. Its a small island off the North East coast and is a frequent long-haul mission for human players to go get the best loot from. This is where im guessing my friends went to. I guess this will be a future endeavour of my own. Patience. First i need to get my home set up, locked down. Then I need a helicopter, and far better weapons than shotguns or Bolt Actions. Need another safe house, possibly off the main coast. Man this is gonna take weeks!

(Camp 1, foundations, wood-tent, vw golf and Pickup truck with mounted gun)

(...Local riff raff acting shifty around a gas station)

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 05:04:03 PM »
How's the house going?

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »

Daisy and I met in DayZ a few days ago. She were brand new right of the shore. Seemed fun, so I took her under my wing and showed her the ropes. Since then we have built 2 small homes and a small garage, and then there is some wood tents and tank traps dotted around. We did have 3 cars/jeeps/pickups but errr, im the decent driver... and she were drivin...

We are nicely stocked up on supplies though, there are plenty of rare items we gotta search for. One of our fellow teams on the server we play on (they've a settlement set up on the mainland), recently hit Sector B and took the whole lot (AI bandits) out in the space of a few hours. Like bosses. They left a few gifts for us back home while we were out, like better backpacks to store more stuff while on the move, a few good weapons too! I finally got the CZ sniper rifle I wanted.

As of two nights ago, we had two helicopters up and running. Boy are those things hard to fly!. My first landing was almost as funny as when I first witnessed Daisy taking off for the first time. "All check, everything go, lift off!", all chuffed with her work, I joked, "BANG!"... and jinxed the whole thing. She flew into a crane, it broke and then next thing the whole town was on fire... After that things just went down hill and we each kept dying to stupid things for about 5 hours into the early morning. Fun times.

That were two days ago. So Ill take some screenshots for yall soon.

Update, shots taken from last night.

(Mine)

(A view of the interior decor)

(Chilling out in the evening at team: STz, onlooking delivery of surprise gift for Daisy. A replacement Helicopter)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:17:55 PM by BFM_Octane »

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »
Those dayz of struggling are over, for now.

Infact, im joining StZ for a mission to raid sector B in T-Minus 8 hours. Time to get some sleep in before the big one. We have to approach the island strategically and avoid 50cal sniper and MG fire, and take out roughly a 100 strong base. Its going to take aproximately 5 real time hours and a whole lot of fire power. Weve stocked up, and were ready to roll. Apart from Daisy. She wants a lie in...

View of base, Stronghold will be built between settlements where the big helicopters are.

Tents for storage while my house is built. Daisy's House on right behind reinforced trucks.

Out back in the heli.

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »
Mission Accomplished.  Call of Duty Eat your heart out this was far more thrilling.

We piled up all the essential supplies and set off on our journey as it went dark, down to the docks.  Got on a raft and headed out to sea. The journey probably takes about 20 to 30 minutes real time. Where the line goes blue (illustrated on the main map), is when the temperature dropped sharply, so we stopped off at the small island before Sector B, got a fire going and warmed up for a bit before heading out again. Going to Sector B by helicopter is a death trap, 50cals on top of buildings and all that melarky, better to go in low and quiet as a small infiltration team. We were a team of 5, next time will be a bigger team of us going and we will be just going at them full pelt apparently.  :o

MAIN MAP

SEC B MAP

Setting Off from our base, Dusk.

At the docks, about to set sail argh matey!

Thank goodness for moonlight, I forgot my Night Vision Goggles!

Pit stop and planning.

Mission accomplished, bringing the helicopters in to collect loot! (got me some NVGs too!)

The mission began at aproximately 0900GMT and we were back at base just after 1400. So yep, you need about 5 hours atleast, devoted to nothing but face in screen and hands on keyboard and mouse. People were even helping me at home bringing me cups of coffee!

It was fun, can't wait to do it again. The below image is a result of the mission accomplished. With over 6 in the squad now, the team can build a central stronghold.

Daisy, fashionably late :p
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:09:49 PM by BFM_Octane »

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
Re: DAY Z - Zombie Apocalypse Survival !!! PICS !!!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 01:32:50 AM »
I thought I'd share a couple of my pics :P I have played about 600 hours of DayZ and ArmA by the way :D

These were from me playing with my mate.

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

The Best Quote Ever By Exodus:

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Re: DAY Z - Zombie Apocalypse Survival !!! PICS !!!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »
Thats just it though, in this game, even a chicken can be deadly!

We have set up shop on a new server, ill post some pics of the new settlement soon.  :)

Print