Print 

Author Topic: How to Install/Get Halo CE (Custom Edition)  (Read 14520 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: How to Install/Get Halo CE (Custom Edition)
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 08:16:44 AM »
It is asking me for a Halo CD, is this necessary?

FTR: Halo was made by Bungie FOR Microsoft under contract.

MS pushed the schedule and Bungie wasn't all that happy with what got released by MS....

But Bungie had rights to produce another version, but (I don't think) they were allowed to make any $$$ off of any spin-offs.... (At least not without giving some/most of it to MS....  ::)  :doh:  )

Hence the "freely-available" version from Bungie - called "Halo Custom Edition" is basically the "final release" that Bungie wanted to do for the original!

(I'm sure their licensing agreement required that only existing holders of the MS Halo product were to be offered Bungie's "finished version," too. Hence the CD requirement...)

So thank Bungie that Halo CE even exists!

(I can't say that I blame them (Bungie) when you see some of the dumb things in Halo Combat Evolved!...  E.g. Names over teammate's heads!!)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Fuse

• Junior Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »
Ah okay, because I had never needed the CD for Halo, but when CE asked for it I was thrown for a loop. Ill go dig it up then haha.

Thanx Benjy for the awesome Siggy!

Thanks TH-7 Erik! Love it!

"E.T. for the Atari, if you place this game in the console, puppies die. That's how bad it is."

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »
I'm aware that this is a fairly large bump, so save the board warning as I have something useful to add.

HaloCE doesn't require a Halo CD.
Go to program files, microsoft games, Halo custom edition, and look for haloupdate. Run that, bam, no more CD needed as you're now running the latest version of HCE(1.09)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »
I'm aware that this is a fairly large bump, so save the board warning as I have something useful to add.

HaloCE doesn't require a Halo CD.
Go to program files, microsoft games, Halo custom edition, and look for haloupdate. Run that, bam, no more CD needed as you're now running the latest version of HCE(1.09)

Correct, but you DO need to have your valid Halo Combat Evolved 'key' though....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »
You don't actually as you're mos likely aware. shared keys are just banned across most servers except for servers that ban by ip. best to have your own legal key though.

Print