Print 

Author Topic: In-Game Chat Text Color  (Read 6315 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: In-Game Chat Text Color
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 09:12:29 PM »
Warnings to all who've entered here:

1) I cannot recommend enough AGAINST the use of programs to alter your Halo text! In most cases these programs have caused havoc for their user, and problems that even reinstallation of Halo sometimes doesn't fix.

2) Sonic had it CLOSE, but NO CIGAR!  Note that the example textcolor="#ffffffff" - pulled right out of one of the Halo font-setting files - has EIGHT HEX DIGITS, while all his other examples have only SIX DIGITS.

You can have problems if you do NOT HAVE ALL EIGHT HEXIDECIMAL DIGITS.

FYI: Here is the "encoding" of the info in the digits:

iiRRGGBB, where
ii= intensity
RR (00-FF) = RED saturation
GG (00-FF) = GREEN saturation
BB (00-FF) = BLUE saturation

based on the standard RGB additive color model.

Here's "original" info (from the old forums) about this:

Quote from: daigoro board=tech thread=1140986511 post=1141000683

OK, I found the following with a google search on "halo chat font change how do you". I had to use the google cache, so perhaps the original page is gone.

Here ya go, hope it works:

Want to change your halo font color? Then read this tutorial.

Go into your halo folder, mine is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo and look for the folder called content, open it up and you should see lost of un-recognised files called 576editbox,480log... etc.

These are the resolution sizes that your ingame text is stored on so if you want to change the text of 800x600 resolution, you would need to go to 600log and if you want to change the resolution of 1024x768, you would need to go to 768log and so on. Double click on the file and it will say it doesn't know the file extension, just choose open with selected program and choose notepad. Open it and it should bring up a box something like this...

Now you can start doing some tweaking to the text. Lets start with the color, at the moment it's set at ffffffff which is white. You have to use HTML (hex code) code to change the color but heres a link to a color code:

(Edit: I have used the chart on the link and made one out of it below I made it just in case the site ever goes down, and so it's easier to access for dial-up users.)

e.g. replace ffffffff (white) to ffff0000 to make your text full red. (Format: iiRRGGBB, ii= intensity)

To change to text size just change the values, and to change the font, do the same thing. Only certain fonts work but i use 'comic sans ms' and that font is cool and seems to look good at 1024x768 res.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you wanted to you can move the text around the screen to where you want it and how many lines you want the text to be. The default is 8 lines and you can't make it any longer but you can make it shorter. I would just experiment with things, that's what i did to find things out and what each item does.

You can change the edit box (the thing where you type your message when you push 'T' to talk to other players) but i wouldn't bother.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:00:07 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BlazinAngel

• Regular Poster
  • THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE HIGHLANDER !!!
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 05:59:32 PM »
ok since I dont under stand all of that..... I need some1 to talk in English.

This is what my script looks like, now what should I change it to so that I see RED text

Code: [Select]
<ksml>
  <head/>
<body>
  <listbox left="5" top="350" width="800" height="160" id="oListbox"
           textbackground="#00000000" outerborder="#00000000"
           innerborder="#00000000" shadow="#00000000" highlight="#00000000"
          textcolor="#ffffffff" font="Arial Narrow-10-bold"
/>
</body>
</ksml>

Im guessing it has something to do with the...  textcolor="#ffffffff"  ... but I would like some1 to spell it out for me  :winkgrin:

-Thanks  :P
"I'll say sorry, but I'm not taking off my glasses."  -EPIC ! :beachglasses:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 08:09:15 PM »
Well... FIRST make sure that youve got the correct file!

Check what resolution you've got set in Halo -> Settings -> Video .

If it's 640x480 then edit the file 480log.ksml. (Hint: it's always <Last#ofVideoSetting>editbox.ksml .)

The file that you put up as an example looks like it's 600log.ksml, so that's correct if Halo is set to 600x800....

So to make the change for 600x800 resolution, edit that file (600log.ksml) and replace ffffffff (white) with ffff0000 to make your text full red (which you won't like as soon as you see it....  ;D )

Then you can try ffffff00 instead and see how you like YELLOW instead!

NOTE: I advise that if you know how to, you first make a (backup) copy of any files that you edit so you can compare/check/recover them to their original state if need be....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BlazinAngel

• Regular Poster
  • THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE HIGHLANDER !!!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 09:10:36 PM »
Once again thanks a ton Mxy
"I'll say sorry, but I'm not taking off my glasses."  -EPIC ! :beachglasses:

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »
another thing that you could do, is add a personal touch and edit the image that the specific size uses, and you can add something like a custom saying or your name(I put Bleach984 0 since that was when I did it) to the background of the text box

Heres an example

in order to do that I did the following

In the content folder under the Halo directory, I went into the galleries folder. (so like this C:\Programs\MicrosoftGames\Halo\Content\Galleries\ or what ever yours is)

and then I opened up the image that has the same size number as the ksml file that you edited for the text(for me its the editbox1200 one, for you it is what ever yours setting is at
in some image editor(could even be MSPaint)  and put my name in the image near the right side so It would interfere with my typing, and the result was what was shown...

BTW the text color that I have mine on, and that works wonderfully and I can see it on any map, is 2266CC... also something that I noticed, is that what I did for changing the color etc is in the (enternumbersizehere)editbox.ksml file not the (enternumbersizehere)log.ksml file, and it works fine for me, simple hex color codes
A part of the winning teams for season 9, 10, 13, 17, 18 and now 19. Thanks for all of the great memories guys :D

Offline W@rrior

• Junior Poster
  • Who you want killed?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 10:57:44 AM »
Well... FIRST make sure that youve got the correct file!

Check what resolution you've got set in Halo -> Settings -> Video .

If it's 640x480 then edit the file 480log.ksml. (Hint: it's always <Last#ofVideoSetting>editbox.ksml .)

The file that you put up as an example looks like it's 600log.ksml, so that's correct if Halo is set to 600x800....

So to make the change for 600x800 resolution, edit that file (600log.ksml) and replace ffffffff (white) with ffff0000 to make your text full red (which you won't like as soon as you see it....  ;D )

Then you can try ffffff00 instead and see how you like YELLOW instead!

NOTE: I advise that if you know how to, you first make a (backup) copy of any files that you edit so you can compare/check/recover them to their original state if need be....

What code would I use if I wanted GREEN?

Offline MadWho

• Posts Too Much
  • 1.2.3...WAIT...1.2.3... NOO...1.2...AAWWWW
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 11:52:54 AM »
Lots of greens...but Green = 008000 (Please notice this is the 6-character version...)

For a rather exhaustive list of font names, colors, codes, etc... http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colornames.asp
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:58:49 AM by BFM_MadWho »
--
It's A MAD...MAD...MAD...World!

Thank you BFM_Ben for AWESOME siggy!!

A ding ding ding ding dididing ding bing bing pscht...
Dorhrm bom bom bedom bem bom bedom bom bum ba ba bom bom...
Bouuuuum bom bom bedahm, Bom be barbedarm bedabedabedabeda...
Bbrrrrrimm bbrrrrramm bbbrrrrrrrrraammmmm ddddddraammm...
Bah bah baah baah ba wheeeeeee-eeeee-eeeee!!!

Print