Print 

Author Topic: Remove cod4 server for a black ops server?  (Read 16162 times)

Offline BFM_GAV

• Captain
Remove cod4 server for a black ops server?
« on: December 25, 2010, 02:33:22 AM »
As some of you may have noticed our current cod4 server has been sitting empty for quite sometime. I personally would still play there if people were playing in there but when i'm on it's always empty. I know a few other members that feel the same.

Black ops is out now and is quite popular. Not everyone has it but give it time for the price to come down and i'm sure more people will get it.

We are in debating mode at the moment whether it is time to remove the current cod4 server and replace it with a black ops server in the future.

We would like your input into this. Please don't just vote. Please give us your opinion as it will help us make a decision.

Are there still people out there that want the cod4 server to remain?, or has the time come to move on?

Thoughts please :)

Thank you my baby brother BFM_Speedy:)

Thanks Lucky

Thanks Lucky!

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
Re: Remove cod4 server for a black ops server?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 04:47:08 AM »
Does black ops even have servers? i thought the online was like modern warefare 2

Offline BFM_GAV

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 05:03:03 AM »
Yes they do :)

Thank you my baby brother BFM_Speedy:)

Thanks Lucky

Thanks Lucky!

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 05:05:51 AM »
Ill just add to this that this will probably happen again if we get a black ops server. We will go head over heels training everyone and doing stuff like that, play it for a few months and then it will gather dust like the new one I think. Some people still use the old one sometimes but If enough people want a new server then I guess so. So basicly I cant decide. lol  :headbonk:

Offline BFM_ColWlkr

• BFM Admin
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »
Black Ops is not (nor do I see it becoming) as popular as COD4 is / was at this point in its growth.  COD4 is considerably more affordable for people to get into as well, with BFM coming to the game after it being out a bit.  Black Ops is also very intensive on a computer build vs COD4, and one of the biggest issues a lot of people have had with us being in COD4 is some people want to play but can't/don't want to afford either the game or a computer to run it.

I have COD4 but have no intention of getting Black Ops myself.

Offline BFM_Skedog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »
I have to highly disagree ColWlkr. While I am quite a big COD4 fan, I believe Black Ops will soon be just as popular, if not more so, than COD4. When the prices come down, I do believe it will become much more popular. With that said, If BFM is looking to keep a COD server, then I would say to keep it as a COD4 server, at least for the time being. As it was stated, the server is almost always empty as it is now, and with the prices being as high as they are for Black Ops, I don't see it being much better. The other thing to keep in mind, is that currently, there are no programs that allow the Rcon use to be limited in Black Ops. You either have full control, or none at all, which can make it difficult.

So, my vote goes towards keeping it a COD4 server, until the time comes where the price comes down, and when the Rcon is able to be controlled more.

2c

~Skedog

By priceslaytonv at 2011-03-05

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a few seconds, set him on FIRE and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

A GREAT leader has the ability to combine knowledge, passion, caring, and wisdom into a focused energy that perpetuates the desire to do GREAT in those who are following.

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »
For the FUTURE, and I stress the future, Black-Ops is probably a viable option. For the present, it's CoD4, or, possibly nothing. The CoD4 server is empty almost all the time (Unfortunately. It was my favorite when it was filled.) and is really sitting there collecting dust and eating funds. I think what the problem was with CoD4 was that when BFM got into the mix, the game was on a downward spiral. Black-Ops, on the contrary, is up and coming. I would agree with Skedog, that when the prices go down Black-Ops will grow substantially. However, that isn't "now." Right now, Black-Ops probably isn't worth it. CoD4 isn't really worth it either.

I would go as far to suggest the CoD4 server be taken down if not active, and simply wait and see what happens to Black-Ops. If the game is worth getting into, then it's peak will be long enough for BFM to go in, set up, get familiar, and thus have it be worth the time and effort.

My little two-hundreth of a dollar.

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »
The price for Black Ops will definitely be sitting at $60 for at least another couple of years. It's not going to go down in price anytime soon, seeing how Modern Warfare 2 is still $60. And by then, I'm sure another Call of Duty will have been released.

Offline ((Kàkà§hì))

• Posts Too Much
  • か か し !!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »
As of now, Black Ops requires more of a machine to run smoothly. Patch after patch hasn't fixed many issues with the game. I have issues with multiplayer still and I have a fair decent PC (E8400 CPU - 2 9800 GTX SLI). I think replacing the COD4 server with a BO server may be unfair to those that play COD4 and can't make the jump.

I remember when BFM considered having a COD4 server the issue of ONE word in the multiplayer game came up. The word is not allowed in BFM's servers, but the correct decision was made that as it was a part of the game the clan could go ahead. If you've played the multi player COD BO you should know that the multiplayer language is much worse. Bad enough that the issue may have to be addressed.

Any-who...I do like the game a lot, buy my 2 cents on this issue.

THANKS  SLAYTON  FOR  THE  A W E S O M E  SIG!!!
http://ninjamouse.com - http://ninjamouse.com/images/Kakashi_sig24.jpg

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
Affordability is key for me personally,

I have a very mediocre PC and it stuggles somewhat to even run CoD4 satisfactorily. If the move is made to Black Ops, I'll be priced-out as I'll have to drop £40 on the game, and about £80 beefing up my PC. That's money I just don't have.

CoD4 is, to me, absolutely awesome with BFMs. I love it so much compared to the other public servers out there, especially when we're able to get together on vent and really co-ordinate our teams.

I think that'll be a similar situation with others too, If the move is made to Black Ops at this time, (or anywhere in the near future), I think the servers may just end-up even emptier.
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 02:13:14 PM »
I've noticed the CoD4 server has become quite populated lately,  And if you switch to Black Ops, a few guests and members will lose the opportunity to play on a server other than Halo, ans may feel the need to buy it... Just my thoughts.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »

Black Ops is pricey and I won't get it for 4-6 months probably.   I don't think we would easily fill a server tbh.

Maybe we need to schedule COD4 evenings, not necessarily scrims, but pick a few times a week when we attempt to get COD4 going and maybe we can get some interest up.

Offline Infërnö

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 03:48:20 PM »
honestly, Black ops is Ok, but the visual physics of the game are soo out of proportion, there isnt much consistency with the weapons, as well as the thing "The higher rank you are, the better guns you get" so.... you do extremely badly til you get an ok gun, then you do ok for a while, then go back to doing incredibly badly if you dont use the Ak47 or 74...

+ it uses steam and if you dont have a fully functioning gaming comp you'll stuggle to get it playing right (got a middle - high range gaming desktop and i'm struggling to get 30 fps on low graphics)

sucks when the game crashes needlessly, and the game has serious connection issues and balance issues, putting the good people on 1 side, and the not so good on the other.

Offline Benjy

• Posts Too Much
  • "Who Dares Wins"
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 01:25:51 AM »
VOTE BLK OPS AND GET COOKIES! why? Because over 4 million people play black ops every day (: (there's a great fact for you Elvis.. buy the server.. i know you want too :)Insted of just knifing you Elvis, imagine waht i could do with a tomahawk  :muah:

Applied for recruitment, August, 30th, 2009
Vent access, 10th, October, 2009 Giving by BFM_Slim
First ever Scrim, 19th October, 2009
Small tags, 28th October, 2009 By BFM_JANE and BFM_ Kiwi
Big tags, 31st Decmeber, 2009 By BFM_Slim and BFM_Elvis.
Thanks to my awsomeness Sgt. d3 for getting me through
Received Corporal, 21st of April
Drop Corporal, N/A
Dropped tags April 16, 2012
Little tags are back, 29 Dec, 2012 :D
Picked up big tags again, N/A

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 11:23:27 AM »
VOTE BLK OPS AND GET COOKIES! why? Because over 4 million people play black ops every day (: (there's a great fact for you Elvis.. buy the server.. i know you want too :)Insted of just knifing you Elvis, imagine waht i could do with a tomahawk  :muah:

According to Xfire, COD MW has 70,200 players per day, while Black Ops has 17,450 players per day (These are only the PC versions too).  Right now the stats are going toward Modern Warfare, even though Black Ops was recently released and is just starting to decline.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Print