Print 

Author Topic: Anyone use MATLAB?  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Sandoz

• Senior Poster
Anyone use MATLAB?
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:33:30 PM »
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 07:18:07 PM by Sandoz »

Online BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
Re: Anyone use MATLAB?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 02:49:09 PM »
Never used it but I can work with Java language.

Online BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 03:10:39 PM »
Never used C++ but I assume that is pretty similar to C which is pretty similar to Java. There's just a few differences but you can easily adapt between one or another.

Online BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »
In Java it would be something like this:

public static void main (String[] args){

System.out.println("Hello World");

}

Online BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »
It seems hard but it is not. The way I was taught was like: don't worry too much about the first line in the beginning (you'll learn what it means later), you just need to know that is how you specify your main function. The other line is really how you print something xD

Offline BFM_Fénix

• BFM Admin
  • I shall be reborn from the ashes
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »
MATLAB is widely used in engineering and research, as it allows for easy mathematical analysis and simulation. Currently, I am using it for image processing of diffraction patterns, so I use a lot of functions from that toolbox. Furthermore, considering my engineering formation, I have used fuzzy logic and neural networks for automatization and control. Finally, instead of using R language for statistical analysis I use matlab. It is oriented towards arrays and cells, so a lot of people around me, and I, find it easy to use.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 10:14:42 AM by BFM_Fénix »
2000th member of the BFM forums.
According to Hlao, and Hlao's word is law.

Offline BFM_Fénix

• BFM Admin
  • I shall be reborn from the ashes
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 02:43:21 PM »
In my previous message I should have included matrices (it is in fact in the name MATlab). Anyway, as an image can be considered a m-by-n-by-k matrix, matrix calculus is easily done. You can modify the parameters of the image (contrast, brightness, saturation, histogram equalisation, etc), apply different filters (linear and nonlinear), edge detection, image segmentation, pattern recognition, fast fourier transform, particle counting... If something catches your interest I can explain further (it is quite vast)

Also, matlab supports GPU computing with CUDA-enabled NVIDIA GPUs which is particularly useful for image processing of heavy data (I work with RAW images of 18Megapixel CMOS sensors)
2000th member of the BFM forums.
According to Hlao, and Hlao's word is law.

Print