Print 

Author Topic: Precious Cargo - Chapter 12 - Head ‘Em Up and Move ‘Em Out  (Read 1916 times)

Offline jokerman

• Junior Poster
  • Connecting.......
Precious Cargo - Chapter 12 - Head ‘Em Up and Move ‘Em Out
« on: November 26, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »
<boring stuff>
The following story is copyrighted material and all rights belong solely to the author.  Any reproduction or republication of any or all of this publication without the explicit and expressed written consent from the author is strictly forbidden.
</boring stuff>

Chapter 12 - Head ‘Em Up and Move ‘Em Out

Walking up to the General as he dismissed a marine, the Spartan said, “Medic gave us a go and we have what we need.  What’s the mission?”

The General faced the two and said, “We were in control of this ring until a group of Covenant came in.”

At this the Elite said, “They are not Covenant.  The Covenant was broken and we are trying to create a new Covenant, a new agreement that we can all abide.”

The General looked at the Elite and said, “I thought as much.  The tactics and the absence of any Elites raised a lot of questions.  But whoever they are, they came in, attacked without warning, and took an important hostage.  He is one of the best of us and sacrificed himself for the good of us all.  They are trying to use him to gain access to one of the installations.  He has bought us time but now we have to move.  The information you and the Grunt brought us was much needed.”

“What can we do?” the Spartan asked as the Elite lifted his head in agreement.

“Follow me”, the General said.

They walked up to a figure that was standing under the shade of a very large tree wiping his hands with a red rag.  The figure had smudges on his coveralls and face and carried a tool in his back pocket.  Near him was a Chain Hog that had been driven up a sharply angled ramp for access to its underside.

As the Spartan and Elite approached, the figure brushed his shoulder length dark hair behind his left ear and turned to see them better.  Eyebrows raised, he turned back to the General.

“We have 21 hogs available, ten Rocket Hogs, two Gauss, and nine Chains.  And that includes my ‘Fairlady’”, the figure said pointing behind him and to his right with his thumb.

Just then, another figure slid out from under a different hog a few meters away.  As the form cleared the undercarriage of the vehicle he yelled, “Make that 22!”

The man turned toward the sound.  “Alright”, he said as his hair began to sway with his bobbing head.  He turned back to the General and continued, “The TMūnke„ has made it 22, sir”.

The General looked toward the Elite and Spartan and then back as he said, “That’ll have to do.  Thank you, Mr. T£ku.  You two suit up and meet us at the gate.”  

“Yes sir!” he replied.

Turning to the Elite and Spartan, the General motioned to them and said, “You two are with me.”  Walking down the path, the trio followed the canyon walls as they narrowed.  As the came up to the other BFM’s, the Spartan noticed several hogs all facing the middle at an angle, backed up to the canyon walls.  The General jumped on the hood of the farthest of the hogs and addressed the crowd.

“With the intel the Grunt gave us, we should be able re-take the base and complete the rescue mission.  We never leave one of ours behind and we aren’t starting now!”

Two more hogs drove up and skidded to a stop.  One of the vehicles had the name ‘Fairlady’ written in a cursive script on the front side above the wheel.  The engines of the two hogs shut down and the now armored drivers jumped out.  

The General nodded to the two and continued, “Blue team is on the Chains, Red is on the Rockets.  Each team gets a Gauss Hog for a tail.  We will be heading out in a single column along the beach until we get to the base, as Blue-Red-Blue-Red, ending with the two Blue and Red Gauss Hogs.  And GlennZ, I’m putting you as gunner on the Red Gauss Hog.”

“Yes sir!” he said with pride.

The General continued, “At that point, we will continue as planned in the briefing.  Elite, you will gun for me and Spartan, since I see you grabbed a Rocket Launcher, you’ll ride in my Meat Seat.”

Taking his time for a long look over the group, the General made sure that he caught the eye of each and every one.  He then faced forward and said, “Let’s ride!”

With that, the group ran to their perspective vehicles and started the engines.  Hoots and hollers were heard from several as others were quiet.  A few bowed their heads as a personal reflection before the impending battle.  Taking their positions in the Chain Hog, the General, Elite, and Spartan locked into position.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:18:24 AM by jokerman »

Print