Print 

Author Topic: Introducing the Xbox One  (Read 4861 times)

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Introducing the Xbox One
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »

A video of the highlights from the Xbox One event.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/KbWgUO-Rqcw?rel=0

Microsoft knows what's popular.

Offline Ryder93

• Regular Poster
  • YoungRydr93
Re: Introducing the Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 02:03:41 PM »
 :giggle:

Applied for BFM: 2/01/12
Received Vent: 2/20/12
Got little tags! : 3/30/12
BIG TAGS! : 6/3/12
Promoted to Corporal Rank! : 8/14/12

Offline BFM_Ben1

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 01:49:02 AM »
Haha :)

I remember there being a dog in cod 5 in your squad at times though?!

Thanks to Spood for this sig!

Awards won:

Aussie Scrims Team dStruct- Season VI Champions
Season 21 Captain Scrims- All Star
Season 21 Captain Scrims- Star Rookie
Season 22 Captain Scrims- MVP
Season 22 Captain Scrims- Most Improved
Season 22 Captain Scrims- All Star

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:40:26 AM »
So... can you watch TV on the new Xbox then? I wasn't sure.
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 02:43:02 AM »
As it currently stands... I don't really use my tv much, except to play dvd's on my first gen xbox (The original xbox 1). = )
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »

Since I already have a TeeVee, and play live sports in "real life" I guess I can skip it then, eh?  (I.e.: 'Got it all covered, except I have a killer cat instead of a dog....  ::) )

So who's the "genius" that named it "X-Box-One?!?"

So we have: "X-Box" -> "X-Box 360" -> "X-Box One"?

They can't even COUNT at Microsoft!!!

...And does this "new X-Box" still REQUIRE you to get a subscription??

If so that's a total deal-killer for me. (Like I'd buy one anyway?)

YA-ROFL from M$....
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »
mxy its X-box COS(360)
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline BFM_Xtr3me

• BFM Admin
  • Without me, it's just aweso.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 03:32:48 AM »
from what I have heard (I am not sure if all of this is confirmed),
the xbox one will have bluray player,
there will be subscription fees for xbox live gold,
there is no backwards compatibility (which I am most mad about  :toughguy:)
you need to connect to the xbox live servers once every 24 hours,
the kinect needs to be plugged in at all time to play (though one is given with the console),
it will have a solid state drive to store games
and this isn't confirmed but there is talk that games are linked to gamer profiles so borrowing games/buying second hand could be an issue.

also, I for one wont be getting this when it comes out because the prices in Aus have been listed at $900 and over, maybe when the price is reasonable (a year or 2 after release hopefully)

Xtr3me's Timeline in BFM
01/Jul/10 - First attempt at recruitment
07/Nov/10 - Second attempt at recruitment ;D
19/Dec/10 - Given Vent
30/Jan/11 - Given Little Tags
13/Mar/11 - Given Big Tags
26/Aug/11 - Promoted to Corporal
07/Feb/12 - Promoted to Sergeant
02/Nov/12 - Promoted to Lieutenant

Thankyou Lucky and Slayton

Offline BFM_Ben1

• BFM Admin
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 05:07:19 AM »
Xtreme when you say "connect to the Xbox servers once every 24 hours" what do you mean? If you dont do that do you get it take away...?

Thanks to Spood for this sig!

Awards won:

Aussie Scrims Team dStruct- Season VI Champions
Season 21 Captain Scrims- All Star
Season 21 Captain Scrims- Star Rookie
Season 22 Captain Scrims- MVP
Season 22 Captain Scrims- Most Improved
Season 22 Captain Scrims- All Star

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 05:09:59 AM »
personally i am not going to buy a new xbox i rather have the slim model. one i dont want a kinect to be plugged in all the time because sometimes it will bring chat through the tv...
connect to servers once for every 24 hours? no sure about that one really. what happens if you dont?
IF they do make it so games are only linked to gamer profiles im sad to say i will not buy any xboxes from them. 1 its a stupid move on their part due to the fact that retail stores will lose money, rental places lose money, ect. They would effect a lot of business.

If some of all is true i am gonna just stick with my pc.
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 06:35:34 AM »
paying twice for used games and not bieng able to borrow a game of a friend is the most stupid thing ive ever heard off. the 360 really dissapointed me once its initial charm wore off and it wore off quickly, I havnt used it in over a year. No way am I buying it.

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
paying twice for used games and not bieng able to borrow a game of a friend is the most stupid thing ive ever heard off. the 360 really dissapointed me once its initial charm wore off and it wore off quickly, I havnt used it in over a year. No way am I buying it.

I never got one. ^.^ Did miss out on some Halo games though. v.v
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Offline BFM_SWiFT

• BFM Admin
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »
I think I'll be going with the PS4, from what I've seen so far.

also, I for one wont be getting this when it comes out because the prices in Aus have been listed at $900 and over, maybe when the price is reasonable (a year or 2 after release hopefully)

Those are just pre-order prices, and don't really reflect the price on release.

Offline BFM_Xtr3me

• BFM Admin
  • Without me, it's just aweso.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »
Xtreme when you say "connect to the Xbox servers once every 24 hours" what do you mean? If you dont do that do you get it take away...?

supposedly, you need to connect to xbox live once every 24 hours to play games so if you go longer than 24 hous without connecting, you wont be able to play games until it is connected to xbox live again. I got told of this from a uni friend so it could just be rumor

Xtr3me's Timeline in BFM
01/Jul/10 - First attempt at recruitment
07/Nov/10 - Second attempt at recruitment ;D
19/Dec/10 - Given Vent
30/Jan/11 - Given Little Tags
13/Mar/11 - Given Big Tags
26/Aug/11 - Promoted to Corporal
07/Feb/12 - Promoted to Sergeant
02/Nov/12 - Promoted to Lieutenant

Thankyou Lucky and Slayton

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 03:12:51 PM »
"Microsoft is pressing reset on policies related to its Xbox One video game console.

The company announced it is dropping two major features of its next-generation console: regular online authenticity checks required to play video games offline and restrictions on what players can do with games after purchase.

In an update issued Wednesday, Microsoft says the shift in Xbox One policy stems from consumer feedback.

"While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content," Don Mattrick, president of Microsoft's Interactive entertainment business, said in a statement. "We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds."

The Microsoft statement says no Internet connection will be required to play any Xbox One game. Also, avenues for trading, renting, lending or selling purchased games will remain as they are today with the Xbox 360.

The move marks a 180-degree turn for Microsoft from several weeks ago, when it outlined how its Xbox One would function when it launches this November for $499. In earlier statements, Microsoft said users would have to check in online every 24 hours to play any games offline. Microsoft also planned limits to how games were used, such as the inability to rent or lend games at launch.

The options prompted a strong rebuke from rival Sony, which is launching its PlayStation 4 this holiday. During a press conference at last week's Electronic Entertainment Expo, Sony Computer Entertainment of America President Jack Tretton emphatically proclaimed the PS4 would not restrict games or require routine online checks.

"You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc," Mattrick said. "The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world."

However, Microsoft's reversal means many features planned for Xbox One, such as the Family option to share a games library with as many as 10 other people, will be shelved.

Consumer feedback led to the changes, Marc Whitten, chief product officer for Microsoft's interactive entertainment business, said in a telephone interview after the update was issued. "They tell us what they love about what we are doing and when we are doing something they don't like, they tell us, too," he said. "We take that very seriously. It was very clear while they liked the ton of innovation that they saw in the platform, they really really wanted the flexibility in terms of how they used disc-based games and how they used it offline."

As it stood, some consumers saw the Xbox One as "a highly restricted system," said DFC Intelligence analyst David Cole. "The idea of online connectivity is bad from a personal usage perspective. For example, many potential consumers are mobile college students or young kids being shuffled between parents. Having to always have their system connected is a major pain.""

Looks like they folded! Thank you Sony for showing them the way! Consumer voice.... psht... they weren't going to listen to us until Sony decided to do it first!