Print 

Author Topic: Warhammer and Warhammer 40 000  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Êmü

• Junior Poster
  • Don't Mess with the bird
Warhammer and Warhammer 40 000
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:47:23 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone played the table top games. I recently began playing 40k and began collecting space marines. I currently have 1 Predator with heavy bolters. a Rhino, 1 10 man tactical squad, 1 combat squad and 1 5 man assault squad. ive also got a Kayvan Shrike captain of the Raven gurad coming and I'm hopefully getting another 5 assualt marines soon too. anyways I was just wondering wether anyone else plays it and if so what armies have you got?
“An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded.” ”
—Pope John Paul II

Thanks goes to my little bro Xsix for this awsome sig

Offline Marty

• Posts Too Much
  • A tip o't hat to you!
Re: Warhammer and Warhammer 40 000
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 04:30:21 AM »
Whoa, thread (read: post) revival!

Warhammer 40K is an incredible (if quite expensive) hobby, combining sculpting, modelling, painting and tactics for a fantastic game experience. I've followed 40K on and off for the last 7 years or so, and have collected in that time:

- Tau
- Imperial Guard
- Space Marines.

Space Marines are my army right now, but very soon I'm switching my models to become Blood Angels. The new rules for them are INCREDIBLE - they have deep striking and dedicated transport Land Raiders!!! (For those who don't know 40K rules: Land Raiders are as heavily armoured as you can get, as heavily armed as you can get and can carry up to 16 models - more than a whole squad. Deep Striking means effectively landing wherever you want on the battlefield whenever you want - with a bit of luck. Dedicated Transports means they don't even take up a unit slot, allowing you to field more tanks than are strictly allowed). Oh, and their tanks are (almost) all Fast - so you can move your tanks 12" and still fire their heavy guns. Ouch!

The models currently in my Space Marine army are:

- 1 Captain
- 1 Captain in Terminator armour
- 1 Chaplain in Terminator Armour
- 1 Chaplain with Jump Pack
- 11 Terminators
- 6 Sternguard Veterans
- 1 Dreadnought with multi-melta
- About 25 Tactical Marines (basically 2 full squads - I can't properly field them all at the same time, sadly...)
- 1 Rhino APC
- 5 Assault Marines, including a sergeant with twin lightning claws
- 4 Bikes
- 1 Vindicator with Demolisher Cannon and siege shield

All told, about 2000 points worth. My Tau army (which I'm no longer really collecting) has:

- 2 Commanders in Crisis Battlesuits
- 3 more Crisis Battlesuits
- 18 Fire Warriors
- 24? Kroot carnivores
- 6 Vespid Stingwings
- Something like 10 Gun and Shield Drones
- 1 Hammerhead Tank
- 2 Broadside Battlesuits

Just scraping around 1500 points. I no longer have any models of my Imperial Guard apart from my Leman Russ battle Tank. The sad thing is that all those models listed above add up to about...er...£800? Maybe a hundred either side; and that's not including the Imperial Guard that I threw away...

Click on the Europe sig to get the link and image code.

Applied for BFM: 28th August 2008
Received Ventrilo: 27th October 2008
Received Little Tags (bfm_): 25th December 2008
Received Big Tags (BFM_): 24th March 2009
Received Corporal Rank: 1st September 2009
Stepped Down From Corporal: 16th March 2010
Nothing happened: 15th July 2012

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

For a US or UK flag, go to >>THIS THREAD<< and quote the whole code. Quote, not copy.

Offline Marty

• Posts Too Much
  • A tip o't hat to you!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:07:47 AM »
And again, another posts revival.

Update: I know HAVE a Blood Angels army. This now includes...

- Captain Tycho
- 1 Captain with power sword
- 1 Captain in Terminator armour
- Chief Librarian Mephiston
- 1 Chaplain in Terminator Armour
- 1 Chaplain
- High Chaplain Astorath the Grim
- Chaplain Lemartes, Redeemer of the Lost
- 11 Terminators
- 6 Sternguard Veterans
- 1 Dreadnought with multi-melta
- About 25 Tactical Marines (basically 2 full squads - I can't properly field them all at the same time, sadly...)
- 1 Rhino APC
- 5 Assault Marines, including a sergeant with twin lightning claws
- 4 Bikes
- 1 Vindicator with Demolisher Cannon and siege shield

As you can see, mainly special characters are the new acquisitions (Tycho, Lemartes, Astorath, Mephiston). I'm hoping to soon buy in a massive spending spree...

- The Sanguinor
- Commander Dante
- 1 Rhino
- 4 Death Company w/jump Packs
- 8 Death Company
- 5 Scouts
- 1 Land Raider
- 1 Predator

The scouts are going in the Land Raider 'cos then it can outflank (turn up unexpectedly at the side of the enemy's army)! This spree with give me a fine total of more than 3'000pts; maybe closer to 4'000.

Next army: either Eldar, Tyranids or Daemons. Tough choice.

For a US or UK flag, go to >>THIS THREAD<< and quote the whole code. Quote, not copy.

Offline HAM

• Junior Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:19:11 PM »
I figure I would dig this topic up to see if it can attract more posters. I mainly thought with the new Fantasy Rulebook as well we got a new 6th edition 40K book coming out this summer, so now is a great time to talk. I myself rune some space marines as my main 40k army and a Minnions(changed for rule purposes) of Chaos army for Fantasy, I also sometimes run them in 40K, but playing Choas in 40K is a big challenge and I have yet to have what I need to be competitive in 40K game play.  

What I have for the moment is a nice size army of Space Marines. I run my own chapter known as the Sons of the Crimson Sands.
- 1 Captain Cato Sicarius
- 1 one captain model from the assault on black reach set, a very nicely detailed plastic one.
- 1 Librarian
- 4 10 man tactical squads 2 with flamer missile launcher set up, and 2 with melt gun and multi-melt set up
-1 terminator squad
- 1 Assault terminator squad three thunder hammers and storm bolter, 2 lightning claws
- 1 Dreadnought with base set up
- 3 5 man assault squads with jet packs
- 2 10man Devastator Squads, one with 4 lascannons, one with 4 heavy bolters.
- 4 rhinos/razorbacks 2 with twin linked heavy bolter and 2 with twin linked lascannon
- 2 Landraiders

I currently plan to get new sergeants with powerfist and combi weapon set ups, and the landraiders are set to be magnetized so i can change them tot he other variants.  Really my army has a lot of conversion work to be done before I can even paint it.

I think when I run this army with everything I can stretch it to a legal 3000 point list. Yet it still needs a few edges to be rounded out.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:22:47 PM by BFM_HAM »

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -Gandhi

"I wasted time, and now doth time waste me." -Shakespeare

Offline HAM

• Junior Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
Oh and one of the greatest things I remember from a game was I was playing another space marine player, he was Imperial fist and decided to run Lysander with a full 10 man terminator squad. This was a scary thought as he held the squad in reserve and hence over my head. Luckily he didn't get them in the game tell 3rd turn and I was trampling his army before they arrived. So here it was, I had very little guys left, my terminators on the other side of the field and the closest unit I have is a single rhino. This was the time to take a risky maneuver and hope it works. Tank Shock, yes I ran that rhino straight at my enemy its full 12 inch move. So how did this go, cardboard against steal, well my opponent actually failed his leadership, having to roll a 10or less on two D6 and he managed an 11. Oh boy, a full 10 man terminator squad with a named character, 600pts in total, running away from a metal box worth only 35pts. I ran that squad half way across the table and off the board, even with the lost of my Landraider and many marines, this unit going off the board liek coward Orks made my losses seem sufficient.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:57:11 AM by BFM_HAM »

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -Gandhi

Offline HAM

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 01:55:05 AM »
Marty I advise you not to go for the Daemons unless you plan on spending a hundred or so bucks for some Plague Bearers of Nurgle. Really daemons is a tough army to play right now and I doubt they will get any advantage from the New 40k rulebook to come out in the Summer. I have played three games with my Daemons and the Chaos Gods did not favor me in the least. Two of the games were against a Blood Angles player, this guy was playing an army he was going to use in a tournament, so I was at a disadvantage to begin with. The first game he wasn't familiar with Daemon tactics and game play so all my army deepstriking infront of him threw him for a whirl and even though he got the charge for the most part, Daemons are nasty in assault. I managed to kill his tanks with my Daemon Prince and took his storm Raven out with my Flamers of Tzeentch. I managed to make the game a tie for kill points, he had about one HQ mephiston I think and some kind of squad left. I had about a few daemonettes of Slanesh and the Masgue left by end game. It was just death all around the table, Khorne would have been pleased. The next game I played with him, He held all of his army in reserves which took away much of what I had helping me in the first game. I hardly took out his guys, and he managed to table me. It hurt a lot for it was the first time I have ever been tabled. It hurt twice as much because it was Blood Angels. I also played a Gaurdsman player and oh I did kill the gaurdsman easy enough, but three Lemons on the table plus multiple chimeras really hurt, I had nothing to take out that many vehicles. He as well tabled me. I really wont play my daemons until I have multiple Soul Grinders and a whole army of Nurgle. At least that way I can stay on the board for the whole game.

If I had to choose, I think Tyranids are a nice choice, painting and game play wise. Though the Eldar are pretty nice, I haven't seen them impress me against my Space Marines, but they do have some nice looking models. Granted though if you just want to play a fun army then Daemons, if you get the right units they can be interesting and an extreme challenge. As well painting the Greater Daemons looks to be a fun challenge, as well as painting anything Nurgle.

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:30:01 AM »
I'm sure you'll pick up the thread, because, what can I say, everyone loves Bacon :D

Except for Vegies :P

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

The Best Quote Ever By Exodus:

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Offline Marty

• Posts Too Much
  • A tip o't hat to you!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:24:50 AM »
Might as well cross-link this thread as it features Warhammer models that I (and a few otherss) have painted.

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »
Hey Marty, did you ever get that website going? Where you paint them and people buy them? It'd be cool to check it out :D

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

The Best Quote Ever By Exodus:

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Offline Marty

• Posts Too Much
  • A tip o't hat to you!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:39:20 AM »
Hey Marty, did you ever get that website going? Where you paint them and people buy them? It'd be cool to check it out :D

It's kinda stalled, but if you want something painting, PM me.

Print