Print 

Author Topic: Gears of War 3  (Read 9773 times)

Offline -Ajax-

• Junior Poster
Gears of War 3
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »
{Kinda continuing from existing threads on GoW 1 & 2 :) }

For those who are fans of Gears, it just gets better  every time...

Forget good, bad and ugly... Gears 3 is great, awesome and the most fun I've had on an xbox game in ages!!

I played the multiplayer Beta today at the Gadget Show (UK) and have to admit it is sooooo awesome. Having recently got back into the series (owned 1 on PC a few years ago and now 1 and 2 on me Xbox) it is so much fun to have the massively varying firefights with new weapons, greater opponents and of course, amazing interactive scenery and environments.

There are so many new and improved dynamic elements to the gameplay i found it unreal how easily it flowed and how quickly you can sneak around someone to plant a cheeky grenade or run at them chainsaw revving...

The new TDM game mode is intense close-up shooting, in the naturally gorey Gears style (not for the younger peoples) which is a cross between TDM and search and destroy. Each team gets 30 respawns and then it becomes search and destroy. There are great vantage points and weapon placements giving great variety to each game and an unpredictability to every corner you turn.

I am not sure of other game modes, but from interviews i have seen several gametypes have been improved to "territories" from "annex" and there is also a King of the Hill gametype (i think). There is another gametype in which you capture the opposition leader and take them to a target zone - first team to do so wins.

The campaign gameplay looks to be equally as intense and unpredictable - with the new threat of the "Lambent" attacking both you and the Locusts every battle can turn to an intense 3 way duel with intense shootouts and amazing graphics.

A new feature - Beast Mode - means you play exclusively as the Locusts fighting to Gears (the opposite of Horde Mode from Gears 2) wherein there are different classes such as the tickers, wretches, drones, snipers, therons, "savage" therons, flamers, boomers, maulers, the Locust Queen herself and of course...... almighty Beserkers!!

Campaign can be played as 4 player local or online (unsure, need to double check) with characters you will only be able to play as by being player 3 or 4 such as the female Gears; one of whom is Anya Stroud - who you talked to as "Control" from Gears 1 and 2. There are also more new playable characters from the Gears books who will appear in Gears 3.

In the game, weapons have been upgraded and improved. Each of the weapons has different skins you can choose in mulitplayer and are unlockable through gameplay. (my favourite is the Lancer with the Crimson Omen on it :P) There is a new sawn-off shotgun which is deadly at a range of 30 cm, the "Digger" which tunnels towards an enemy in cover and ruins his day, the "One Shot" which is the equivalent of a 50 cal. sniper - able to take down the largest enemy's in one shot (i wonder where they got the name from...). The Gorgon Pistol now is fully automatic instead of burst firing... the "Retro Lancer" has a more traditional bayonet rather than a chainsaw which is painfully effective when charged with. A new grenade type has been introduced - the Incendiary grenade (similar to the fire grenades in halo 3) set a fair area on fire on impact and work spectacularly when 'tagged' on an enemy.

With so many new and improved features, Gears 3 is going to be the best game in the series (i will not stop playing it when it comes out :):):):)) Hopefully some of you will be able to get it and I'll keep this thread going with any updates i hear - feel free to add anything you have heard.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:47:40 AM by bfm_Ajax »

Offline RadZakpak

• Posts Too Much
  • Passive but NOT aggresive
Re: Gears of War 3
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
Looks really great, I may get it. :)

I've only played Gears 2.

Offline OBOLeader

• Regular Poster
  • Established thread killer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »
Gears of war 2 set the standard for awesome games for me, and pretty much, no hage has surpassed it yet. From what you say, the modes are improved, and with the new beast mode looks awesome. Does it still have old horde from GoW2 though? and what charaters from the books exacally? ive read several of them, and i kinda want to be Stroud from The Book Aspho Fields
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/NewTooru/
Discord: Tooru#1375
Battle Net: Tooru#11787

Offline -Ajax-

• Junior Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:57:12 AM »
Gears of war 2 set the standard for awesome games for me, and pretty much, no hage has surpassed it yet. From what you say, the modes are improved, and with the new beast mode looks awesome. Does it still have old horde from GoW2 though? and what charaters from the books exacally? ive read several of them, and i kinda want to be Stroud from The Book Aspho Fields

don't know about Horde Mode... i hope it is still there but to be honest i would be too busy playing Beast Mode to play it as much. I don't know about book characters (mainly because i havn't read them... I'll get round to it over the summer) When you say Stroud, is that Anya? Cos if it is then you can play as her which i discovered on the Beta.

There is a lot of gameplay on various youtube channels including 3 or 4 on IGN which talk to some of the guys who were involved with the production and answering questions about the game, etc... recommend watching them as they'll give better answers than me lol

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
  • There there, it's ok....
    • Hehehehehe...
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »
Is GoW 3 a FPS, RTS or what?

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 11:27:44 AM »
FPS..probably a little too gory for you though Tanxs, a quick google search of GoW chainsaw will show what I mean.

Offline -Ajax-

• Junior Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »
Third Person Shooter
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:36:56 PM by bfm_Ajax »

Offline RadZakpak

• Posts Too Much
  • Passive but NOT aggresive
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »
Is GoW 3 a FPS, RTS or what?
TPS

FPS..probably a little too gory for you though Tanxs, a quick google search of GoW chainsaw will show what I mean.

Trael don't! It'll make him want to buy it more!

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
    • Hehehehehe...
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »
Trael I am so googling that :D.

....Third Person Shooter!? How does that work!?

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »
[14:03] BFM_Tanxs1: *link to gory picture*
[14:03] BFM_Tanxs1: MWUAHUAHUAUAHUAH!!!
[14:03] PÕQ~Trael: LOL
[14:03] * BFM_Tanxs1 laughs histerically
[14:03] PÕQ~Trael: You ok there?
[14:03] BFM_Tanxs1: LOL!!!!
[14:03] BFM_Tanxs1: >:D
[14:04] PÕQ~Trael: this was the first I got when I googled it..
[14:04] PÕQ~Trael:*link to gorier picture*
[14:04] * BFM_Tanxs1 laughs harder

*Sigh*...

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
    • Hehehehehe...
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »

*Sigh*...

I'M STILL LAUGHING!!!

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
    • Hehehehehe...
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 12:07:40 PM »
Oh and btw, notice the time differance between

Trael I am so googling that :D.

and

*Sigh*...

Offline -Ajax-

• Junior Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »
....Third Person Shooter!? How does that work!?

Over the shoulder view, so you can see your character as you are playing...

Offline OBOLeader

• Regular Poster
  • Established thread killer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »
Lol, the more people who get thid game, the more people to own  :LOL:

And when i said Stroud, i ment Major Stroud, Anys's mom
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/NewTooru/
Discord: Tooru#1375
Battle Net: Tooru#11787

Offline Infërnö

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 01:05:42 PM »
it's a Third person game, and Like gears 1 and 2, both of which I got 2 missions in before getting confused and selling it due to intense Boredom.

I shall not be getting this, the only combat game i can play in third person, is stuff like Saints Row, GTA and in bursts Oblivion when needed to go third person... oh and Rainbow 6 vegas, because that's partially third person... well in cover anyway.

...I violently dislike Third person games, just a personal grievance of-course, but, it's made my decision for me.

sorry, if I offended anyone with my honesty.

Samson.

Print