Print 

Author Topic: What is the best video game of all time? (besides the Halo series)  (Read 41232 times)

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
Re: WHat is the best video game of all time? (besides the Halo series)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »
Call of Duty 4 period

Well, I guess I'll have to try that one!

P.S. hilarious avatar! Kitty!

Try it without a doubt.

Everything from graphics to ranks and upgrades. Its the best game iv played deff.

PS: Thanks :P

Offline AR~Unit»Zero

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 08:29:24 PM »
TES4: Oblivion is my overall favorite so far in my gaming career. Halo1/CE for PC would have to be 2nd; with a number of games I've played being in third because I don't think they deserve any less than third considering how much fun they were. (Half Life series including Portal, Starcraft, WC3 and others.) Theres some major games out there I havent really played though so I may yet come across something I like more.

Offline Cole

• Junior Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
Call Of Duty

Thanks for the top sig Tanger and Slayton for the bottem 1 ;D

Offline Stealth.

• Posts Too Much
  • Loading, please wait...
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 10:48:02 PM »
For PC my fav, sides halo, is BF2.
For Xbox i love Guitar Hero 1-3 and Rock Band <--(better)
Now for my ultra cool sig...

<>     <>
          <
          -
          \/

"What the..he has his flashlight on...Should we have our flashlights on??"

Channel Jumper Chamipion - '06

Many say life is too short. Well, name one thing you do that is longer.

"Does that blow your mind? Because That Just Happened!"

www.freerice.com - Awesome site for a great cause.

Stealth-Beg for Mercy

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 11:12:34 PM »
It's a close call for some other games for PC, but I'd have to go with the Diablo Series. I have been playing it for a long time now. Diablo I, was actually was the first game that I ever played on PC. Both of the games are awesome and I'm still hoping for a third.

Offline Boot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 08:03:44 AM »
Perhaps a little off topic and a little wordy but...

Pong

When I was a kid (we're going back a ways here) my parents bought the family a dedicated console that would run a couple of variations of pong. Thinking back on it now, the thing had to have been based on analog technology. I simply loved that game. Can you say "burn in"?

Star Trek

Not the video game; the computer game. I first played it on a teletype terminal in the computer lab at a local college in '75. Game play unfolded on paper. You could save and restore your game from 8-track paper tape punched at the console. It was one of those life changing moments. I suddenly knew that what I wanted to do was play and learn how to write computer games. I've been in the software biz ever since. I never did get around to writing computer games, but I'm having fun anyways.

A close second, in this category, is Adventure with its "maze of twisty little passages". I stumbled on that one on my first UNIX computer. By this time I was employed. I'd play Adventure at lunch, after work, and sometimes furtively while working. My desk was full of state diagrams, created to map out the underworld and discover its secrets.

Flight Simulator

Not the Microsoft game; we're talking about a late ‘80s Silicon Graphics (SGI) UNIX workstation with a dedicated graphics engine. Revolutionary for its time. Ultra smooth 3D graphics rendering; network based game play (but we only had the one machine :'(); additive record and playback. Wow! This game opened my eyes to the possibility of using software to simulate real world processes.

Halo for PC

I'm a Halo addict now. Nothing beats a human adversary. My wife looks over my shoulder and says "you're still stuck on that road?". My first thought is no and its not a road, but well yes I suppose I am, in the same way people who play chess are stuck on the same board. It might be the same map, but the human element makes it different and exciting. This is my first experience with mutli-player games since Pong, and I've got to say, I simply love this game.

Good racing,

Boot.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:07:35 AM by Boot »

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 01:16:49 PM »
Perhaps a little off topic and a little wordy but...

Not atall.  :)

Sonic The Hedghog (series)

As a kid it was either this or Mario being the centerfold for gaming. And i so happened to prefer the lil blue spikeball. It came down to game physics too as it always does.

Resident Evil

Yes, over 10 years ago was i playing this on my own at midnight in the dark...

DOOM

Set the ball rolling for 1st person Shooters. I still play it today. IDKFA.  ;D

Quake III Arena

Physics rule and is great exercise to play before playing Halo in the evenings.

Alien Trilogy

Another game i was addicted to. If anyone else played it much on the PlayStation, youll remember 1GOTP1NK8CIDBOOTSON.  ;D

Magestorm

Imagine the standard multi-user LAN shoot 'em up. Got it? Good. Now add 36 more simultaneous players per match (for up to 50 total), character persistence, and character development. That's right - your characters in Magestorm grow in power and prestige the more you play them. Oh yeah, also add High Color 3D graphics, for a visually stunning 65,000 colors and four completely different character classes, all with their own unique spells. Now you're starting to realize what  Magestorm  is all about.

Created by Mythic Entertainment ,  Magestorm is a game of magical combat based on spell-casting rules and spells.  Mages may choose from four different magical spell-casting classes and dozens of spells. Magestorm supports up to fifty players in a match with an unlimited number of matches running at once. Mages grow in strength and ability with each successful match, in accordance with the rules set.

Change all the *Is*s into *was*s as the game is no longer available. RIP Magestorm.

Offline AEONS

• Senior Poster
  • |Ex-BFM|
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 01:58:54 PM »
Perfect Dark 64.
Part of the Season 5 Champions

Offline BlazinAngel

• Regular Poster
  • THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE HIGHLANDER !!!
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »
Call of Duty 4 period

I can personally guarentee that you won't be disapointed in trying that game.
The mistake I made was playing it once, and now I'm addicted but I can't get my fix becuz I don't have a gaming system (besides my PC of course).
"I'll say sorry, but I'm not taking off my glasses."  -EPIC ! :beachglasses:

Offline AR~Unit»Zero

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »
Call of Duty 4 period

I can personally guarentee that you won't be disapointed in trying that game.
The mistake I made was playing it once, and now I'm addicted but I can't get my fix becuz I don't have a gaming system (besides my PC of course).

Why is everyone just foaming at the mouth about how amazing that game is? It always looked like a fairly generic shooter to me.

(Please dont kill me for saying so, I've never played it so I dont know what its like)

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 09:38:07 PM »
Gotta put CoD4 on my list then.
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline Spade

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »
lol fuzion thats old   anyway mine is halo online. an tanger sweet sig.  :)

Thanks skedog for the awsome sig

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 01:36:06 AM »

Several categories for me, too:

Classic: Tetris
Fun, but... IT NEVER ENDS! GAH!  ;)

Arcade (OLD!): Atlantis (pinball) [I used to MAKE MONEY offa this game!] & Fireball (pinball), [ya, ya, those aren't "video games!", so...] Centipede (video)

Brain-buster w/ beautifal graphics and audio: The Myst series
('Played 'em all!)

Best visual/action: Descent (2) (w/ 3-D goggles!)
Will actually make you THROW UP!  :liljawdrop:

Fav' LAN game with family & friends: DooM II
Yep! STILL playing it!

Best RPG: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Skyrim
Stunning graphics; lots of play time; Endless action; loooong duration advancement system; LOTs of GREAT/COOL add-ons! Note: Thought I'd hate that it was not MP, but... I don't!]

Best MMOSG: Time of Defiance Closed down in 2010  :'(
[I'm NOT going to post a link here, cuzza this game is addictive!] Let's just put it this way: I know better than to subscribe to this game, cuz if I did I'd've died of sleep deprivation by now!  I've done their trial deal four times, and all four times stayed up 4-5 DAYS straight playing it....

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:09:04 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline AR~Unit»Zero

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 09:07:45 AM »
Best RPG: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Stunning graphics; lots of play time; loooong duration advancement system; LOTs of GREAT/COOL add-ons! Note: Thought I'd hate that it was not MP, but... I don't!]

Finally someone else here has noticed how utterly amazing that game is!  :yesyes:

Offline =Rival=

• Regular Poster
  • Cymru am Byth! :)
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 09:20:26 AM »
The first time I remember becoming addicted to a game was after trying out Metal Gear Solid (which was voted best game for PS1) for the first time; Such a great storyline with loads of action. I've been hooked to the MGS games since, and I'm now looking forward to the fourth one coming out on PS3 :winkgrin:

Print