Print 

Author Topic: A Spartan By Any Other Name - Chapter II - Welcoming Committee  (Read 2433 times)

Offline jokerman

• Junior Poster
  • Connecting.......
A Spartan By Any Other Name - Chapter II - Welcoming Committee
« on: September 21, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »
<boring stuff>
The following story is copyrighted material and all rights belong solely to the author.  Any reproduction or republication of any or all of this publication without the explicit and expressed written consent from the author is strictly forbidden.
</boring stuff>
click here for - Chapter I - Drop Zone

Chapter II - Welcoming Committee

It was hard to run in the sand, especially with the extra gravity.  The cadet adjusted his path, running and hopping in order to use any bit of hard surface he could find to try to make the going a little easier.  Unfortunately, the dark alien night was little help.  He realized that even though he had worked so hard and was in the best shape of his life, he only ‘thought’ that he was in good shape.  Nevertheless, he wasn’t going to let some sand and extra gravity pwn him on his first time off world.  

He noticed a faint light on the horizon to his right.  The sun was coming up.  The UNSC always mapped out planets, moons, etc so that the local star would ‘rise’ in the east and ‘set’ in the west, if possible.  This caused a lot less confusion when off world.  Although, this could not always be done since there were a couple of planets that always had the same side facing the star but those were pretty rare.  

And a day on an alien planet could be anything.  There were even those that only had one of its days in one of its years.  But a ‘day’ on an alien planet, moon, asteroid, or whatever could take hours, several Earth days, months, or even Earth years.  So depending on where you were and how long you were going to be there, you might never see its alien sunrise.  From what he had been told, Purgatory’s day was eight Earth days long, give or take a few hours.  He had a fleeting thought of a Beatles song.  “The sun” he thought.  “Wow, an alien sun.  Cool!”

Suddenly, the young Spartan felt something hit him hard.  The faint glow to his right was now up, down, to his left, all over the place.  He felt his back hit something unmovable, and then his head immediately after and realized he was flat on his back looking straight up.  Straight up and into the barrel of an UNSC assault rifle pointing right into his visor held by a Spartan who had placed a boot directly on his chest, holding him down.

“Uh, hey, uh, hold it, I’m a friendly”, the cadet said shakily still not sure what had just happened.  “I was told to report to the compound.  I’m Cadet First Class…”

“Stop!” said the Spartan adjusting the rifle closer to the cadet’s visor.  “From this moment on, you have no rank, you have no name, you have nothing but an entire armada of things that only exist in this universe to hunt you down and kill you.”  The rifle tapped the cadet’s visor.  “Got it?”

The cadet’s heart was pounding hard in his suit, not from the run through the sand but from the face to face reality of the fact that he was probably about to be torn to shreds like some helpless rag doll in the mouth of a rabid Rottweiler that wants to tear him up, just because it can.  He was surprised by this Spartan’s speed.  He was surprised by this Spartan’s agility and stealth.  He was surprised by this Spartan’s ability to take him down and willingness to make a red stain of him on the ground without a second thought.  But mostly, the cadet was surprised by this Spartan’s voice.  This Spartan was a she.

“Yes sir… uh ma’am… uh, I mean… I got it”, the cadet said clumsily.

“Do you?  Do you understand that to them you are an evil thing; a scourge that their religion and prophecies have said should be exterminated.  That they believe with every fiber in their ugly, stinking bodies that their gods have demanded that you are a soulless husk that is born for the sole purpose of being killed by THEM.  That if they do not kill you, the entire universe will burn and destroy everything they hold dear.  That they and everything will all die and pure evil will begin a reign of terror upon all reality if they don’t.  That there is no question in their poor excuses for mangled and twisted minds what so ever, no iota of doubt that you must die for the good of their gods and all existence.  That they do so with pleasure because that is all they have known for generation upon generation upon generation for thousands and thousands of years.  That all you are to them is the total collection of the pieces of slimy rotting flesh that they will scrape off the bottom of their boots at the end of the day.  Do you?  Do you get it?”

The young Spartan swallowed hard.  Panic began to set in.  She was right.  He realized that he was just that.  He was just a collection of body parts.  Something ready to be slaughtered, like some poor animal that had no clue what was about to happen, oblivious to the fact that it was already dead and didn’t even know it.  All he was to them was ‘pre-dead’.  And they would do anything they could, including gladly dying themselves, to make sure he was ‘all-dead’.  ‘Dead’…   He had heard the word so many times but never felt its intimate meaning.  ‘Dead’…  For the first time, he actually felt the meaning of the word.

He took a deep breath and appreciating the fact that he could still take one.  “Yeah, I get it”, he replied.

She stared hard into the young cadet’s visor until she was satisfied.  “Good.  Now get up, get your weapon, and follow me”.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 06:09:07 PM by jokerman »

Offline McSkittles

• Senior Poster
Re: A Spartan By Any Other Name - Chapter II - Welcoming Committee
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »
 :drool: :neckbeard: :neckbeard: :neckbeard:

Nicely written Joker :keke:

^^ Done by me(freshly updated :))

^^ Done by SPiDEY

^^ Big thanks to bl!Tz'

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 11:35:57 PM »
Wow, I loved it! Can't wait for more!
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline BFM_Noddu

• BFM Admin
  • An apple a day, keeps red team's rockets at bay.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »
Superman I concur Obi-Wan-Kenobi should go :P

A little Star Wars Episode III reference for you there :) didn't get it? Really...

Well... I laughed... *cries*

Noddu's Nod of Approval  :Woop:
Make way for Noddu. Lest he nods his head... in disapproval.

Print